/forum/topic/1127925/116

1       2       3              116      
       118              250       251       end

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4389

^ nice dukey

n_i_k_k_o
Total Posts: 15

Awesome middle shot, Michael. I see something similar when I visit our PR company in Waltham. They're in an old watch factory right on the banks of the Charles river. I saw something similar to that shot back in October when I last visited.

Nikko

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7305

Awesome stuff, Mike ... and Duke! All images are very clean and sharp - as if they were FF images. Let's keep the OM-D flag flying high!

michael49 wrote:
bmwrider75 wrote:
Those Italian panos are beautiful! Wish I knew how to do that! Suppose I need a tripod first...

dc

Most of my OM-D panos have been done without a tripod.....

bobbytan

I love my Oly 75 lens. 2nd image is approx 100% crop.

jmmaher
Total Posts: 141

I am trying to decide on taking my OM-D on a 1 month vacation trip versus my 5D3. As a result I have been reading up on the OM-D and this thread has just incredible photos. While I am still researching I thought I would add a few from the past year.

20120617-P6170063-Edit by jmmtampa, on Flickr

45MM 1.8
Jim

jmmaher

An HDR using the 12-50

Portofino by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Jim

jmmaher

One more:

20120617-P6170018 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Exposure 0.125 sec (1/8)
Aperture f/6.3
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 3200

Jim

dukenukem
Total Posts: 243

Bizcocho Mascarpone II por _dUkEnUkEm_, en Flickr
M.Zuiko 12-50 . 1/125s . f/3.7 . ISO 200 . 13 mm

[url]http://delycioso.tk/[/url]

bobbytan

Hello Jim

I think this an interesting subject for discussion and I will speak about my own personal experience. I was an early adopter of the 5D and 5D II (pre-ordered those cameras before they came out) and I was not disappointed - although the AF points (outside of the center AF point) leaves much to be desired. But the files from these cameras are very good. The 5D III is a significantly more efficient camera I've heard, and the 24-70L II is even better than prime-lens quality. According to Roger Cicala's tests, it beats all other Canon primes in terms of resolution including the T-SE lens.

Having said that, I think the OM-D can do almost anything that my old 5D II could do ... and in some areas much more, such AF speed and accuracy, and dynamic range. And with good lenses, such as the Olympus 9-18, 12/2, 45/1.8, 60/2.8, 75/1.8 ... the Panasonic 25/1.4, 45/2.8, 7-14, etc ... it can compete with some of the best Canon L lenses.

I have not had any buyer's remorse, nor do I miss my 5D II and L-lenses. Not at all. The files from the OM-D are simply amazing - at least as good as what I was used to with the 5D/5D II. Don't get too hung up by the small sensor size, as that is very deceiving and it doesn't tell you half the story.

So I would not hesitate to leave the 5D III behind and take only the OM-D with a few good primes, plus a good zoom like the 9-18 or 7-14. Forget about the 12-50 kit lens if you want the highest quality files that you could get out of the OM-D. The OM-D + kit lens will not be able to match the IQ you can get with the 5D III ... but a good prime or zoom certainly can ... IMHO.

jmmaher wrote:
I am trying to decide on taking my OM-D on a 1 month vacation trip versus my 5D3. As a result I have been reading up on the OM-D and this thread has just incredible photos. While I am still researching I thought I would add a few from the past year.

Jim

michael49
Total Posts: 5364

^ - I would echo most of what Bobby says.

I took a trip to Guatemala with my wife in February. I brought both my OM-D and my Canon 6D and I ended up using the OM-D much more than the 6D. For the OM-D I only brought the Pany 14 2.5, 20 1.4 and the Oly 48 1.8 and I found that covered most of what I needed in a very lightweight, high IQ package.

I took several of the same images with both the OM-D and the 6D and I was surprised by how many times I actually preferred the OM-D images.

There are still times I prefer my 6D (certain portraits, indoors, high ISO and flash come to mind) but I think when I travel I will be bringing the OM-D more often and leaving the 6D at home.

Here's a few examples....

OMD with 20 1.7...

6D with Sigma 50 2.8...

Crop OMD....

Crop 6D...

OMD....

6D...

OMD, 20 1.7...

6D with 40 2.8 STM....

OMD crop....(you can see the noise here when shadows get pushed, more so than with the 6D)....

6D crop....

OMD with 45 1.8....

6D with C/Y 85 2.8....

OMD 45 1.8 @ f/1.8...(my wife getting frustrated with photos )....

6D with C/Y 85 2.8 (missed focus)....

Over all, I think the OM-D is an excellent travel camera with amazing IQ in a tiny package....

20 1.7....

14 2.5.....

14 2.5....

jmmaher

Bobbytan,

Thanks for your insights. This isn't proving to be an easy decision. I don't have the new Canon 24-70 II but I do understand it is a fantastic lens. The 5DII was a great camera and I have many fantastic photos from it but the 5D3 is much better from a use, ISO and focusing viewpoint.

I have the 12-50, 45, 25 1.4 and the 100-300 for the OM-D. If I make this decision I am going to buy a wide angle (still debating between the 9-18 and the 7-14 but leaning toward the 9-18). I might even get carried away and buy a 75 and I see many fantastic shots on this forum from that lens.

I am concerned about file and senor size and logically I probably shouldn't be as I have a 20x30 print from a 6MP Nikon hanging in the house. I also have a 24x36 canvas print from the OM-D using a 45 1.8 but canvas is forgiving.

In reading thru all the posts in the forum (I am about half way) I think I saw that you were considering a Capture Clip system. If you bought it I would be interested in your impression. I would like an arca plate for the camera and this seems like I can get this system with the small plate for not much more than a Kirk or RRS plate alone.

Jim

jmmaher

Michael,

WOW! Thanks for all the examples. Your OM-D shots compare very favorably with the 6D in these sizes and in the crops you presented.

Jim

bobbytan

Jim, I am not into prints but I shouldn't think you would have any quality issues for prints of up to 24 x 36" unless you are printing from a cropped image where there is just insufficient resolution.

Yes, I do have the Capture Clip system but I am not using it - yet, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I like a neck strap as it facilitates lens-changing, and I do that a lot, and because the camera is so compact and light, a neck strap does not cause me any strain or discomfort. Secondly, I bought the Capture Clip system as I was planning to get a 2nd body for my trip to Italy ... so I could have 1 body slung around my neck and the 2nd body attached to my waist belt. But I decided that I should wait for the "pro version" of the OM-D which hopefully will be released sometime this year.

Meanwhile I am using a really small camera plate (Kirk PZ-130) on my horizontal grip and it works fine with my Markins Q3 ballhead.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892890-REG/kirk_pz_130_universal_camera_plate.html

jmmaher wrote:
Bobbytan,

Thanks for your insights. This isn't proving to be an easy decision. I don't have the new Canon 24-70 II but I do understand it is a fantastic lens. The 5DII was a great camera and I have many fantastic photos from it but the 5D3 is much better from a use, ISO and focusing viewpoint.

I have the 12-50, 45, 25 1.4 and the 100-300 for the OM-D. If I make this decision I am going to buy a wide angle (still debating between the 9-18 and the 7-14 but leaning toward the 9-18). I might even get carried away and buy a 75 and I see many fantastic shots on this forum from that lens.

I am concerned about file and senor size and logically I probably shouldn't be as I have a 20x30 print from a 6MP Nikon hanging in the house. I also have a 24x36 canvas print from the OM-D using a 45 1.8 but canvas is forgiving.

In reading thru all the posts in the forum (I am about half way) I think I saw that you were considering a Capture Clip system. If you bought it I would be interested in your impression. I would like an arca plate for the camera and this seems like I can get this system with the small plate for not much more than a Kirk or RRS plate alone.

Jim

michael49

^ - for my Guatemala trip I used a simple neck strap slung over my shoulder (I hate straps around my neck), but I just purchased a BlackRapid R strap (meaning to use it with my 6D) but I've been using it with the OM-D lately and its awesome.....

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/classic

jmmaher

I thought I would add another from last years vacation. Venice streets with HDR, using a 25 1.4.

20120709-P7090037_3tonemapped by jmmtampa, on Flickr

This is one of my favorites from the trip.
Jim

bobbytan

I have a Black Rapid strap too that I used for my 5D II. It's a very popular strap but I am personally not too fond of it, and with a very small/light camera like the OM-D using it with a neck strap is not a pain in the neck.

michael49 wrote:
^ - for my Guatemala trip I used a simple neck strap slung over my shoulder (I hate straps around my neck), but I just purchased a BlackRapid R strap (meaning to use it with my 6D) but I've been using it with the OM-D lately and its awesome.....

michael49

jmmaher wrote:
...This is one of my favorites from the trip.
Jim

Awesome shot.

michael49

bobbytan wrote:
I have a Black Rapid strap too that I used for my 5D II. It's a very popular strap but I am personally not too fond of it, and with a very small/light camera like the OM-D using it with a neck strap is not a pain in the neck.

michael49 wrote:

Its not really the weight that's the issue with the neck strap - I just hate a camera dangling on my chest/abdomen - nothing says loser tourist with camera more than this look . If I do use a neck strap its always hanging over my shoulder, not my neck.

michael49

Comparison from today with one of my favorite models..........

OM-D with C/Y 50 1.7 @ f/2....

6D with C/Y 85 2.8 @ f/2.8....

Crops (these files were both pushed in PP - OMD was pushed more than the 6D -again the OM-D shows noise more easily when pushed)...still I think its amazing what the OMD is capable of given that the sensor is half the size of the 6D!!.....

OMD....

6D....

jmmaher

Michael,

Thanks for the comment.

I have a Black Rapid strap for my 5D3 and its a great strap. I just thought it was little much for the OM-D. I have recently been using an Op/Tech compact sling that seems more suited to the camera weight.
http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-3401002-Compact/dp/B006W1J3OK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363471044&sr=8-4&keywords=optech+sling+strap

The OM-D does show a lot more noise in your example. However its a fairly massive crop - maybe 4 to 1?

Jim

1       2       3              116      
       118              250       251       end