40/2.8 is very good
/forum/topic/1125037/9

1       2       3              9      
       11       12       end

CronoZero
Total Posts: 54

I bought one of these and was wondering if anyone else has any weird issues with it...mine doesn't always try to focus on anything when I turn on my camera. Like, I have it attached to a 5D Mark II, camera powers on, autofocus doesn't work even though switch is on AF. Flipping the switch doesn't fix it, but unmounting and remounting the lens fixes it.

That being said, I like the image quality, weight, and size. It seems to also work for infrared photos. When I get back home, I'll pixel peep for hot spots, but at quick glance, I don't see any.

jamato8
Total Posts: 2185

Well I ordered one. I want to have a compact lens on a body if I am justing hiking or walking around. I would use it professionally as well if it fits the need. Seems it would be nice on the 7D with all of the 7D features, though I don't use it much as I prefer full frame and only use full frame for my professional stuff, most of the time. But again, this nice compact lens seems like a nice thing to have.

Now I wish that I had GPS in camera for some of my work.

snapsy
Total Posts: 4423

Got mine yesterday. This thing is very sharp. Here is a f/2.8 sample on my 5Dc:

And 100% crop from the same photo:

jamato8

I like the 5Dc. The background blur looks strange. What f stop is this?

snapsy
Total Posts: 4423

jamato8 wrote:
I like the 5Dc. The background blur looks strange. What f stop is this?

It was wide-open at f/2.8. It's a busy background that probably wouldn't render well on any lens.

jamato8

Nice and sharp for wide open. I look forward to receiving mine.

Mike V
Total Posts: 1401

CronoZero wrote:
I bought one of these and was wondering if anyone else has any weird issues with it...mine doesn't always try to focus on anything when I turn on my camera. Like, I have it attached to a 5D Mark II, camera powers on, autofocus doesn't work even though switch is on AF. Flipping the switch doesn't fix it, but unmounting and remounting the lens fixes it.

I had this once on my 5D II.
Same as you.
Wouldn't focus.
Lens off the camera and back on fixed it.

Hasn't happened since.
I'm going to keep an eye on it though.

Snead
Total Posts: 306

CronoZero wrote:

You might have dirty contacts on your lens or camera. You can use a pencil eraser to clean them. This can happen even on brand new lenses and cameras.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

jamato8 wrote:
The background blur looks strange.

Typical pancake bokeh.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

jamato8

Yakim Peled wrote:
jamato8 wrote:
The background blur looks strange.

Typical pancake bokeh.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I see, thanks. In all my years of shooting I never used one so this will be new to me but seems like a nice package. I will know for myself in 2 days.

mco_970
Total Posts: 5284

My 40 arrived, I plunked it on the 1D3 and headed for the backyard. It looks VERY good at 2.8, and this is a focal length I like - so it's a big win for me. A few quick and dirty samples, nothing exciting...

(stamens are tack sharp where I focused, didn't crop this one since it shows the BG rendering).

tgamron
Total Posts: 97

I found one at the front door today. It's a cool lens. 5D3 ISO 2000

Canon 40mm Pancake Lens by tedg540, on Flickr

Canon 40mm Pancake Lens by tedg540, on Flickr

ChrisRD
Total Posts: 935

I wasn't seriously considering this lens until I started looking at all the nice samples here...now I might just have to give it a try. I practically have the 70-200/2.8 II IS welded to my camera but for times when I need something wider...having this in a pocket could be very convenient.

jamato8

I got mine today. I love the small light size and the results, excellent and for 200 dollars. Can't beat it.

sirimiri
Total Posts: 3343

That's a bit funny...you know, pugs have no idea just how they look, I suppose they just accept that humans make funny noises when we see pugs.

matthewm wrote:
What better way to capture a flat face than with a flat lens?

I think this will be a good lens to keep in the backpack, for shooting events. It takes virtually no space and as we're all seeing, is quite sharp. On a crop body, I can just slip the combo into the corner of my small backpack "just in case".

This is ISO 3200 on a 5DII, in a rather dark establishment. F/2.8 at 1/30th

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3832

After all those pictures ... : YES.
When I am back from a northern sea trip in one week I will offer my 1.4 Sigma and purchase this smart (and sweet) lens instead.

Ralph

sirimiri
Total Posts: 3343

Ralph, it's no substitute for f/1.4, as you can well imagine. Think carefully if you shoot in meagre, ambient light a lot.

I do and f/2.8 is a real stretch.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3832

Thank you for the advice, sirimiri. Back the last 2 years I did use my 1.4 (regulary starting at 2.0) less then 10 times, as far I can remember. And I am pretty sure I will purchase the Pancake first and test it before selling the 1.4.

Ralph

Mike V
Total Posts: 1401

Snead wrote:

You might have dirty contacts on your lens or camera.

It happened again to me.

I have a theory that it relates to the front of the lens moving when the power is off. i.e. changing the focus when the camera is switched off.

surf monkey
Total Posts: 2616

For all the naysayers who couldn't understand who would buy this lens, there seems to be a lot of happy first adopters on FM. I guess it illustrates the adage, "to each his own". After all the negativity lately on the latest Canon gear, I'm happy to see all the satisfied users. I might just have to try one.

1       2       3              9      
       11       12       end