Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.11.31 released!
/forum/topic/1124156/0

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17926

Canon released Digital Photo Professional 3.11.31 updater for Windows and Mac OSX.

Click here to choose your operating system, then you can download the update.
Changes from previous version:

• Supports images taken with EOS Kiss X6i / EOS REBEL T4i / EOS 650D, EOS 60Da.
  • Supports new lens (EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM).
  • Fixed a phenomenon where the camera's serial number that is displayed in the shooting information of the image is not displayed correctly for some of the EOS 60D.
  • Fixed a phenomenon where the buttons for HDR tool cannot be displayed under specific settings of the display.
  • Fixed a phenomenon where check mark or rating that is set using Quick Check Tool may not be displayed correctly.

omarlyn
Total Posts: 4066

I think DPP is under-appreciated by most here becuase it is not as 'full featured' as Photoshop or Lightroom...but for quick-n-dirty image processing it can't be beat (IMHO). It's completetly free so you can have it installed in any number of laptops and desktops without any licensing issues and if your just need to do basic adjustments and/or preview in the field to quickly check mark or discard images, DPP is really a fine tool for all that. I use DPP all the time for web images, quick adjustments, & to preview. In fact, it even has a (cluncky) cloning tool...maybe not what you'd use for a final print but more than adequate for little 'fixes'. I always keep a copy of DPP on me...more than once I've had to do a quick adjustment in the field and I can very quickly install DPP on any available computer to resolve the problem. I was hoping for a 'major' upgrade (with more & better funtionality) with the recent releases of the 5DIII and the latest lenses...maybe we'll get it when the 1Dx is finally released!

Omar

johnmfisk
Total Posts: 89

Really late to the party here, but I wanted to add my voice to this. Only recently came to realize what a useful proggie this is.

Originally installed this a couple years ago when I bought a Canon EOS XSi. Didn't use it much - spent more time learning PS and ACR. The interface to DPP (and pretty much all of the free Canon software) looked pretty dated and the functionality seemed covered in ACR.

I recently upgraded to an EOS 5D Mark II and updated all of the Canon software. Out of curiosity I started playing with it. I'm impressed with what it can do to get you started with post-processing. I really like the NR, correction of CA, vignetting, etc. which seems as good or at times better than ACR+PS. Additionally, if you have any of the "L" EF lenses, or some of the EF-S lenses, then there is an additional "digital lens tune" facility and really cleans up details nicely. This is on a lens-by-lens basis and updates can be downloaded directly through the program for each supported lens.

Unfortunately, DPP appears to save changes to a recipe, which is not understood by ACR. What I'd love to do is start PP in DPP, move to ACR for additional post work, and then import into PS for final touch ups. This can't be done since DPP and ACR both work on the original *.CR2 raw file, but don't seem to speak the same language.

I've found that saving the image to a 16-bit TIF file after processing through DPP lays a good foundation for many images. I haven't done an "A/B" comparison with ACR, but DPP seems to give a very worthy start to the process.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

cheers,
John