Would You Buy a 600EX RT Speedlite?
/forum/topic/1120508/1

end

James Taylor
Total Posts: 726

SeverianTL wrote:
The advanced radio control functions of the ST-E3 and 600EX are either crippled or disabled for cameras prior to the 5D3 and 1DX. And flash sync speed is cut in half (for radio control). No high speed sync. Etc. ...

If you don't have the latest and greatest camera, the ST-E3 doesn't make a lot of sense. The 600EX makes more sense, except for the price. Clearly Canon wants you to upgrade all your kit.

I use the 600EX-RT and 5D MKII with high speed sync in radio mode all the time. If that's what's holding you back, get them - it works.

Gust
Total Posts: 230

Yes replaced all 580EX II and pocket Wizard set.

works great, never a miss shot!!

retrofocus
Total Posts: 3794

Nops. Will stick to my 580 II and 430 flashes.

echelonphoto
Total Posts: 261

I have two 600's and they work perfectly with my 5d mk2 and also with my Mark 1.
Hi speed sync works very well and I can ratio my master and slave in ettl and manual
modes.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20689

Hi Omar,

I have two 580EX and one 580EX II. I bought a 600EX-RT because its AF-assist beam pattern is optimized for the 1DX AF sensor matrix! The rest is bonus.

Kisutch
Total Posts: 315

That's like asking if I would buy a 1DX--sure I like the features, but I'm not going to spend $6 k on a camera. Likewise, I wouldn't shell out $600 for a speedlite with radio triggers when I can get a 550 ex and a RF receiver unit for ~$200--not as good as 600EX, but does the trick just fine. I spent $500 on a Paul Buff Einstein--crazy to think that amazing beast of a light costs less than a new speedlite.

timbop
Total Posts: 6326

My problem with the new RF system is the lack of a reliable external trigger for my strobes. If they made a receiver with a PC/mini jack I might consider it, but having to rely on an optical trigger just isn't going to cut it.

garydavidjones
Total Posts: 437

Works well with 5D3.

skasol
Total Posts: 2272

I got three of them and loving them.

jerrykur
Total Posts: 4254

SeverianTL wrote:
With third party radio controls HSS is possible and X-sync is not cut in half, so why does Canon do this? With a 600EX mounted you can control groups of flashes optically but not via radio. What's up with that?

Depend what type of camera you have. My 1dmk3 has no loss of xsync speed and doing hss up to 1/4000.

Gust
Total Posts: 230

on the new body's, they are the best speedlights ever.

retrofocus
Total Posts: 3794

I can see the advantages of having wireless and not just IR-based flashes. I remember to have read that there was an issue with wireless PocketWizards on the new 5D III body, not sure if this has been resolved yet. The new Canon flashes will surely work well on the new bodies.....

Personally I have no need for the new flashes, I will stick to my old pair of 580/430 speedlites. I mostly use them for some macro work where I do not rely on wireless functions. However, I know studio photographers who really want to get better transmitters than the IR-based older Canon speedlites.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6500

EyeBrock wrote:
I'll get one or two when I get another camera in a year or two. For now, buying a 600 for my 5D2 gives me few advantages for a lot of extra cash.

+1

I use mainly on-camera flash for my 1Ds2, 60D, and 5D2 -- very rarely remote flash. So the 600 is not an improvement at this point. When upgrading to a new body (next gen?), I'll upgrade flash. For now, I use 550EX, 580EX and 580EX II.

burningheart
Total Posts: 2401

Bought it a few months ago.

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1661

When the price is reduced drastically, I may think about it.
As I "only" have my ol' 5DMkII, and 3 580EXII, and the Odin wireless kits, I don't see the need for either the 5DMkIII, nor the 600EX right now...

end