EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II - Sample Images
/forum/topic/1111741/1

end

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12098

PetKal wrote:
However, my 400 f/2.8 IS MkI is a beautifully performing lens, and I'd be hard pressed to sign on the statement that my 400 II has better IQ, although it is just possible that my 400 II has a very slight sharpness edge which in practice has little consequence. In addition, both lenses have a very fast AF drive, just that they are tuned differently, therefore a direct comparison is not straightforward.

Peter, you lost me there.... I am referring to the difference in AF drive/tuning between the two versions of the lens - in what relation does it have to do with the IQ in a straightforward optical comparison?

joekraft
Total Posts: 3105

The bokeh in the BG around his hand makes it look like he is really bringing the heat
jcmedeiros wrote:
A couple more from the 400 IS II - it really shines for baseball:

#1 Auburn signee Trey Wingenter deals in round one of the AHSAA Class 6A playoffs

jcmedeiros
Total Posts: 760

joekraft wrote:
The bokeh in the BG around his hand makes it look like he is really bringing the heat
jcmedeiros wrote:
A couple more from the 400 IS II - it really shines for baseball:

#1 Auburn signee Trey Wingenter deals in round one of the AHSAA Class 6A playoffs

He is 6-7 and throws in the low 90's - looks like Randy Johnson in the dugout

PetKal
Total Posts: 24477

AGeoJO wrote:
PetKal wrote:
However, my 400 f/2.8 IS MkI is a beautifully performing lens, and I'd be hard pressed to sign on the statement that my 400 II has better IQ, although it is just possible that my 400 II has a very slight sharpness edge which in practice has little consequence. In addition, both lenses have a very fast AF drive, just that they are tuned differently, therefore a direct comparison is not straightforward.

Peter, you lost me there.... I am referring to the difference in AF drive/tuning between the two versions of the lens - in what relation does it have to do with the IQ in a straightforward optical comparison?

True enough, Joshua, I lost myself there too....AF performance is a non-sequitur in the above context.

CarlG
Total Posts: 6377

jcmedeiros wrote:

He is 6-7 and throws in the low 90's - looks like Randy Johnson in the dugout

Great shots!! But for his sake, I hope he looks better than Randy!!

Pixel1970
Total Posts: 517

Had the chance to play with one for a few hours yesterday. It's absolutely the smoothest lens I've ever used.

Gust
Total Posts: 230

sold my 500/4 4 months ago and bought the new 400/2.8 II.
best move in my live, using on my MKIV's.
Yesterday testing on a 5DMKIII, whawww what a combo.
looking now for the X. can't wait.
this is the best lens Canon ever produced.

falcnr
Total Posts: 15

I sold my 500mm F4 in the hopes of getting a 600 F4 MKII but that is like asking for an audience with the Pope !
So instead I opted for the 400mm F2.8 IS MKII and I bought the 1.4x and 2x TC's at the same time a few days ago. My logic is that this now gives me a 540mm F4 and a 800mm F5.6 with the added bonus of needing to carry two large telephotos on a long haul photo trip. I justified the expense to my wife by saying it is lighter for her to carry

Seriously though, I hope I made the right choice. From what JCMedeiros posts it looks like a good decision. Takes a lot of guts to sell those two lens's and put your eggs in one basket but I guess I will do the same as my 500mm F4 has gone and my 300mm F2.8 is next if this new lens works out. I was very impressed with auto focus speed on the both TC's on the 400mm Mk2

dolina
Total Posts: 3675

This is one of the sharpest lens I have ever used. I am thankful that it is 28% lighter than its predecessor. All photos taken using the pre-1.1.1 lens firmware.

1D4

1st Ayala Alabang Camera Club Golf Cup by alabang, on Flickr

Regret by alabang, on Flickr

1st Asian Flag Football Championship: Team Singapore vs The Guardians of Cebu Flag Football League by alabang, on Flickr

1st Asian Flag Football Championship: Manila Aguila vs Team Singapore by alabang, on Flickr

1st Asian Flag Football Championship: Team Singapore vs The Guardians of Cebu Flag Football League by alabang, on Flickr

Baler by alabang, on Flickr

1st Ayala Alabang Camera Club Golf Cup by alabang, on Flickr

One and Two by alabang, on Flickr

5D2 (the 1DX wasn't released at the time)

As framed

Global vs Kaya by alabang, on Flickr

100% crop

fairtex
Total Posts: 65

Very interesting images. Can you guys hand-hold the lens for a brief amount of time?
I was suprised how much lighter the 300mm 2.8 mk II is compared to it's predecessor, and apparently, the same is true for the new 400 2.8, but I haven't had the chance to get my hands on it yet. Is is lighte enough for hand-hold use?

spdntrxi
Total Posts: 405

my next big bonus.. this one is going to be tough to resist

ohh and I have no issue hand holding V1

outlawyer
Total Posts: 1404

Geeez. Unbelievable shots in every respect. The color!

Roll Tide.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12098

Here are two more images taken with this lens at wide open aperture.

jcmedeiros
Total Posts: 760

A quick update on this lens. No regrets whatsoever. I have found the 400 II + 1.4x to be a perfectly acceptable replacement for the 600 f/4L.

Here are few more taken with this lens. #3 is with the 1.4xIII

Tom Dix
Total Posts: 1689

Good lord. That lens is truly amazing!!

PetKal
Total Posts: 24477

400 II is probably one of the sickest lenses Canon has even made.
Very nice pictures one and all.

Petkal a.k.a. Supertelemaster

Rav13
Total Posts: 201

I can't wait for my bonus too, I'll get the lens and then think of what to shoot!

rantonishak
Total Posts: 926

Very nice images everyone... Please keep'em coming..

Sincerely,
Randal

end