#500 Tree House
/forum/topic/1111607/0

kellermsu
Total Posts: 952

This female Red Bellied Woodpecker is right at home in a tree. She has just fed the little ones and is getting ready to go out and search for more tasty tidbits to bring back.

Thank you for stopping by.

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1327

Good "at home" photograph, Jim...you caught her at just the moment of pausing before zipping away - that takes practice - and skill.
Good shot.
Jerry

Oregon Gal
Total Posts: 1734

Really nice find for the WA Jim.

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3626

Great find Jim, very nicely done.

twistedlim
Total Posts: 3127

Nice capture. I think a bit more constrast would really set this off. Good catch.

kellermsu

Thanks for the replies Jerry, Oregon Gal and Travis. Rich, have any ideas about increasing the contrast? Unfortunately the day was very overcast, almost drizzly, and in the shade to top it all off. I'm not so sure there is a lot more to work with.

Jim

Travis Rhoads

I think it looks good as is, plenty of contrast in the tree and the bird. I like the OOF background as is, it gives good separation.

kellermsu

Thanks for the detailed feedback Travis.

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7040

Perfect shot of the Woodpecker home. Norm, I agree with Travis in that this shot needs no other processing. It is a fine shot as is. Good find, and nicely captured.

Oops, sorry Jim! Too many Norm's around here.

Funny Travis VVV

Travis Rhoads

we should just call everyone Norm that happened in another WA thread this week...can't find it...

kellermsu

Thanks for the comments Mark. And I would be proud to be called Norm, damn good photographer.

Jim

Mado
Total Posts: 4478

A fantastic image. Good luck with this one

kellermsu

Thanks Mado!

Jim

James Markus
Total Posts: 4242

Jim...now that fits the topic perfectly! Good one.

kellermsu

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback James. I appreciate it.

Jim

twistedlim
Total Posts: 3127

How do you guys find this stuff, amazing.

kellermsu

For me it starts early morning. Load up the kayak and gear. Drive 45 minutes. Unload everything and get on the river. Paddle upstream one to two hours. On this day I was looking for nesting Prothonotary Warblers. Spend time trying to follow foraging birds back to their nests. Couldn't find a nesting Protonotary, too early in the season? So I went to plan B. Started following woodpeckers. Found several nests but too far up in the treetops. Finally found this one. Set in my kayak/blind for a couple of hours or more trying to get the right shot in the right light. Paddle downstream to the car. Load everything up and drive home. Get to watch the sun set as I'm unloading the gear. Sunday is gone! Would I rather be home watching a movie? No, wishing I could do this every day.

Jim