Anyone else ready for a real 7D replacement?
/forum/topic/1110510/3

1       2       3      
       5       end

cameron12x
Total Posts: 1700

I did have one before (love/hate relationship), but I don't currently have a 7D so, yes, I'd be looking for a "replacement."

It will be interesting to see what Canon does in the next 12-18 months with this body.

bht-kevin
Total Posts: 241

David Baldwin wrote:
Well, I think the OPs original post wasn't very well put.

No, I don't think there is much to fix on the 7D.

But I do agree that DSLR developments do appear to have stalled somewhat, which is an entirely different point. We've all been living through an amazing technological decade in which each generation of DSLR was radically better than the one before (arguably). The latest generation of improved bodies don't appear to me to be that much better than the one before.

Looking on the bright side I will now expect my DSLRs to last much longer because I feel I am less likely to be tempted by their replacements. That's why I am not waiting keenly for the 7D2, I just don't believe it will be much better than my (excellent) 7D Mk2.

You pretty much hit it right on the head.

That was aimed to rile up the Canon crowd a bit but man are they sensitive.

And just for the record, I never in any post said the 7D was a bad camera even though if you only read the responses you would have thought I bought a Nikon, hated the 7D, committed a Cardinal sin, hated babies and probably a lot of other things.

Kevin

Monito
Total Posts: 10079

bht-kevin wrote: though if you only read the responses you would have thought I bought a Nikon

Nah. We read your original post:

bht-kevin wrote: So frustrated with Canon right now I am about to sell it all and go Nikon.

But we since learned that you lie about lots of stuff and we shouldn't believe a thing you write.

Just do it; sell up and buy the Nikon.

Good riddance.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3396

bht-kevin wrote:
That was aimed to rile up the Canon crowd a bit but man are they sensitive.
And just for the record, I never in any post said the 7D was a bad camera

Kevin

"The 7D is geriatric... When is Canon finally going to update it?! So frustrated with Canon right now I am about to sell it all and go Nikon. 60D was such a huge dissapointment also... sigh. I look back on the build quality of the 10D compared to the new models and shake my head. If Nikon made a 100-400 L equivalent I would have already jumped ship. "

Geriatric, 10D better built, Needs an update, about to sell it, 60d a disappointment.

Perhaps you should get your arse out into the world and shoot something rather than trolling the interwebs.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

bht-kevin wrote:
Oh man this post cracks me up. People get so bent out of shape when you rip on their camera brand. The attacks on my "skills" with a camera really, really crack me up. I actually dont own a 7D, that last bit was just a joke (but true joke, sorry for the 5DMK3 owners that have to send in their cameras for a black tape adjustment).

I do own a 40D and I havent seen a reason to upgrade since then. I wanted a 7D but after 2.5 years, you know something new should be coming soon so I personally don't want to spend the money on 2.5 year old technology. I was going to get a 60D but its a step backwards if you are used to the solid 10D-50D line. So... I wait... and bitch... one of these days...

Pretty much everyone summed up my feeling even though they didnt mean to, there has been no real camera innovations in 4 years. THATS WHAT I AM ANNOYED WITH. Yeah a little less noise, a little better AF, but overall its been stagnant. Lets get some pixel level ISO response, mirror less designs, etc... Lets get some real technology advancements.

2 years ago I went from 40D (which I loved) to 7D (which I love even more). IMHO it is a better camera in every respect: VF, AF, ergonomics, IQ, features - you name it. It's not a revolution but rather an evolution. Many small things that add up to a significantly better camera. It's an awesome picture taking machine that has not failed me even once and gave me nothing but great pictures. I tried the 5D2 but apart from better high ISO was not impressed by it at all. I happily returned to my 7D.

There's a saying in Hebrew that goes like: "It's better to have one bird in your hand than two up on the tree". Instead of whining of the things you don't have - a fruitless act in most cases - try to enjoy the things you do. In simple terms, try to see the glass as half full, not half empty.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3297

So Kevin...do you actually use your 40D, actually take photos, or does it just look, feel cool to hold it? No images uploaded, no filckr link, no website...ya know, so we can see your work...you do complain fairly well tho

bht-kevin

Feel free...

RobDickinson wrote:
Perhaps you should get your arse out into the world and shoot something rather than trolling the interwebs.

If you only knew how funny that was...

bht-kevin

StillFingerz wrote:
So Kevin...do you actually use your 40D, actually take photos, or does it just look, feel cool to hold it? No images uploaded, no filckr link, no website...ya know, so we can see your work...you do complain fairly well tho

I leave the house sometimes

bht-kevin

But sometimes I stay inside...

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3297

All three are sweet, luv the 3rd, great abstract...is it oil/water drops, a peacock feather? Thnx for posting some images Keven.

40D shooter here also Only reason a 7D isn't in my kit, wanted an articulating screen, I shoot from a wheelchair and think one might help...the 60D didn't interest me...I like, use C1-3 all the time...so I wait and debate on going FF or not...perhaps a tethered screen/LCD like a Marshal, IDK!

elader
Total Posts: 4583

bht-kevin wrote:
Oh man this post cracks me up. People get so bent out of shape when you rip on their camera brand. The attacks on my "skills" with a camera really, really crack me up. I actually dont own a 7D, that last bit was just a joke (but true joke, sorry for the 5DMK3 owners that have to send in their cameras for a black tape adjustment).

TROLL
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

roboticspro
Total Posts: 1862

Well,

An interesting thread;

bht-kevin wrote:
[I am an Engineer(electrical), with 3 patents and multiple products used by 100k+ people per year. Brainstorming ideas is "talking out of your rear." True innovation comes from breaking the mold. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

I would be curious to see what you have come up with for "innovation" as patent holder. So, if you wouldn't mind, please share with all of us the patent numbers that you speak of which you are responsible for.

Thanks for sharing

jerrykur
Total Posts: 4253

Anyone else thing this place is becoming dpreview?

I hope Fred exercises his right as moderator more often.

roboticspro
Total Posts: 1862

Hey Jerry,

Seems like the full moon is a bit early...

Edd

chez
Total Posts: 7861

Monito wrote:
bht-kevin wrote: [...] add some black tape to my 7D as an upgrade. [...]

bht-kevin wrote: [...] I actually dont own a 7D [...]

It's very stupid to lie to the forums.

Nobody can believe anything you write now, especially this crap:

bht-kevin wrote: I am an Engineer(electrical), with 3 patents and multiple products used by 100k+ people per year

Monito, unless you know for sure bht-Kevin is not an engineer with 3 patents, then you are the one spewing crap and calling someone out without cause. I see no reason for this...in fact, I see no reason for this post other than to call YOU out on your own crap spewing.

chez
Total Posts: 7861

Peter Le wrote:
bht-kevin wrote:

I do own a 40D and I havent seen a reason to upgrade since then. I wanted a 7D but after 2.5 years, you know something new should be coming soon so I personally don't want to spend the money on 2.5 year old technology. I was going to get a 60D but its a step backwards if you are used to the solid 10D-50D line. So... I wait... and bitch... one of these days...

Pretty much everyone summed up my feeling even though they didnt mean to, there has been no real camera innovations in 4 years. THATS WHAT I AM ANNOYED WITH. Yeah a little less noise, a little better AF, but overall its been stagnant. Lets get some pixel level ISO response, mirror less designs, etc... Lets get some real technology advancements.

So very true......all though I am content with my old tech Canon stuff for now....you are right....there is no reason to upgrade in the Canon camp.....no new innovations just upgrades to what they should have done years ago. Just look at this Canon forum......not at all like it was years ago when Canon was leading the camera tech at the best price. Very aggressive to anyone that dares challenge the all mighty Canon gods. Good discussions are almost a thing of the past here......it has become just a rip and apologize forum. Hey maybe Fred should rename it the Canon Apologists Forum. Now the better and more civilized discussions are on the Nikon forum......they are the new innovators and do it for a better price like Canon of the past. The Canonites seem to have trouble with this......it has always puzzled me why such company loyalty......they are just tools to get a job done and it is almost always easier with the better tool. I really don't think the 5dIII would have pro tech focus if they did not take a beating for the focus on the 5dII.....so it can be more productive to beat then apologize. Well for now I will just lurk till this place gets more civilized and discuss things in the Nikon forum.....even though I don't shoot Nikon.......well at least not yet.....

Peter, all discussions on this board turn into mud slinging sooner or later. Nothing offensive can be said regarding Canon without derogatory comments coming back. Yes, I too remember a time when an actual intellectual discussion could be had, but that time has come and unfortunately gone.

bigbluebear
Total Posts: 1466

David Baldwin wrote:
Well, I think the OPs original post wasn't very well put.

Agreed.

Monito
Total Posts: 10079

I don't believe anything the OP writes now.

Manzelle
Total Posts: 171

Peter Le
Total Posts: 1043

jerrykur wrote:
Anyone else thing this place is becoming dpreview?

I hope Fred exercises his right as moderator more often.

Becoming dpreview DP is tame compared to what the Canon board has been becoming lately.......it is a shame....this was such a cool place to come and read or participate in some really interesting discussions. Now I find DPreview to actually be much more informative and not so much a fan club as this board seems to be becoming. Maybe this is why you don't see much of the longtime posters here anymore. Hopefully the future will be better around here......

1       2       3      
       5       end