5D III Camera Plate
/forum/topic/1103460/16

1       2       3              16      
       18       end

Stunnaz
Total Posts: 1192

wlpelzmann wrote:
I've had the revised RRS L-plate for over a week. Solid fit. Has left no marks on the body. I'm very happy, especially since I thought I'd have to return it based on previous comments posted here.

Thanks that's great! I'll just wait for my order then.

arbitrage
Total Posts: 6097

Stunnaz wrote:
So did anybody receive their RRS rev A L-Plate yet? Are you happy with the fit? I ordered mine weeks ago and it's still not here yet.

I've never had problems with RRS before so I'm sticking with them. Used the 5D2 L-plate for 3 years and it was fine.

I also have had the Rev A for about a week now, I also still have Rev 0 as I haven't mailed it back yet. Personally, I thought even Rev 0 L-plate was a good fit but if you hold it up to a window and stare at the gap between plate and camera there is a small asymmetry with the Rev 0. Rev A is much better and looks as good as any previous L-plates I've had (5D2 and 7D).

I used my Rev 0 for a couple weeks while waiting on the Rev A and never had any marks on my camera from it. I think the bigger problem was with the non-L-plate version.

caltech
Total Posts: 3

My Kirk L bracket came today it works perfect with my RRS quick release clamp and my RRS flash bracket.

The Kirk plate fits the camera like a glove and the finish looks as good as the RRS.

enough said.

toddlambert
Total Posts: 838

I'm thinking about getting the Acratech universal L bracket. Seems like it might work pretty well (and if judging by their excellent ballheads) http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=71

Photon
Total Posts: 10005

RRS L bracket (Rev A, for cam without grip) arrived today, fits perfectly, looks and works great.

Stunnaz

toddlambert wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the Acratech universal L bracket. Seems like it might work pretty well (and if judging by their excellent ballheads) http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=71

I tried the Acratech GV2 ballhead and there was movement after tightening (I remember it wasn't just me, at the time all Acratech heads had this issue). This was many years ago though, when it first came out. The owner was extremely nice and the return process wasn't an issue at all. I ended up going with Markins Q3 and it's been working fine the past few years.

cheem
Total Posts: 320

toddlambert wrote:

Interesting product and certainly gets around the need to upgrade for every camera body that gets released. Do you know if you need to purchase a body plate too - it does not seem to say.

toddlambert
Total Posts: 838

I would imagine it works fine with any AS compatible plates. I have an Acratech GV2 head (never once seen an issue with drooping, but the largest lens I've ever used on it, is a 70-200 2.8 IS) and I have RRS L Brackets that fit into it just fine. I imagine this would be the same.

I've been very happy with Acratech's stuff (I have a variety of their plates and the ballhead) so I am leaning towards using them for the L bracket as well.

cheem

Sorry if I was not clear. It appears that you need to purchase a separate body plate plate in addition to the universal bracket, correct?

Don Clary
Total Posts: 2225

It appears that you need to purchase a separate body plate plate in addition to the universal bracket, correct?

Just buy ONE universal plate, like I just did, to go with your ONE universal L bracket:

http://store.promediagear.com/Universal-Plate-3inch-Long_p_2.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276977-REG/Wimberley_P_5_P5_Universal_Quick_Release.html

glenn_pet
Total Posts: 7

RRS L-Plate for 5D3 (body only) came yesterday, perfectly happy with the fit and works great so far (granted only one day of shooting).

cheem

Don Clary wrote:
It appears that you need to purchase a separate body plate plate in addition to the universal bracket, correct?

Just buy ONE universal plate, like I just did, to go with your ONE universal L bracket:

http://store.promediagear.com/Universal-Plate-3inch-Long_p_2.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276977-REG/Wimberley_P_5_P5_Universal_Quick_Release.html

Thanks Don. I already have the Wimberly you mention - nice plate indeed.

I called ProMediaGear today and spoke to Betty. I had a question as to whether or not their L-Brackets are one piece or two and they are in fact two pieces screwed together.

She said they have been considering a unibody design like the Kirk and RRS and asked what I thought. I mentioned the two pieces screwing together is a nice design as you get the body plate in addition to the L-bracket. Some may argue the strength merits of a unibody construction though. If you have any thoughts on their plate design, chime in and I will pass it along to them.

She also said they are working on a generic L-bracket design in the coming months.

Danpbphoto
Total Posts: 10091

Just called RRS 5DMK3 RevA- on backorder...2/3 weeks was Jim's best estimate on RevA "L" plate.
Can't wait that long..
Dan

cheem

I rejected my RRS L Rev.A so they will getting one back in a couple of days. I wasn't happy with the step design, I thought Rev.A would be a rounded lip. Maybe you could secure mine when it gets back to them. PM me for the details if you like.

Danpbphoto

cheem wrote:
I rejected my RRS L Rev.A so they will getting one back in a couple of days. I wasn't happy with the step design, I thought Rev.A would be a rounded lip. Maybe you could secure mine when it gets back to them. PM me for the details if you like.

If you are addressing my post, I bought a Kirk instead.
Dan

jasonsim
Total Posts: 673

Enjoying my kirk!!! It really molds to the body and the extra eyelet piece makes it extra sturdy.

amsterdem
Total Posts: 175

Kirk is better than the RRS, design wise and fit, and I have purchased $2k worth of RRS products.

Kirk plates for my 5d III

mrbig
Total Posts: 61

I also like the Kirk plate better than the RSS. The only thing I wish they hadn't done on the Kirk was to offset the 1/4-20 tripod threads and the mounting screw. There are times when I mount the camera (with the plate still attached) to one of my gear heads and it's nice to have the same center point.

Stunnaz

ok, i'm going to switch my order to kirk because of you guys!

Danpbphoto

Stunnaz wrote:
ok, i'm going to switch my order to kirk because of you guys!

I was a "faithful" RRS person for many, MANY years...until this thread and the design of the new 5D3 plate. Was not happy and my conversation with Jim@RRS did not alleviate the situation so I bought a Kirk.
It will be here tomorrow.
I don't think you will regret your decision.
Dan

1       2       3              16      
       18       end