5D III Camera Plate
/forum/topic/1103460/1

3              17       18       end

jdben622
Total Posts: 4020

AGeoJO wrote:
geniousc wrote:
Yes, and the rear anti-rotation ledge is pressing hard on the edge of the body. It could actually crack the plastic I suppose. It should be contoured to fit the camera body not press hard on it.

I am letting the cat a little out of the bag... the keyword is indeed "anti-rotation" but it is not supposed to mar up the body... . Not sure what to make out of this but actual users seem to have a point and their body shows some kind of "indentation". I am considering of just rejecting the shipment tomorrow . Dang, I was looking forward to this actually...

There is a small wedge in front and a large wedge running the length of the plate on the rear. Including the base of the plate, that's 3 points of contact. Not sure how the 4th point of contact (the sharp angle on the elevated piece) improves "anti-rotation". And if this indeed was the design, then the thickness of the plate would need to taper towards the rear slightly to compensate for the ridge and correct the camera angle. I used a micrometer and the thickness of the plate from front to back is perfectly constant.

James Taylor
Total Posts: 726

Waiting to hear as well.

Mike Pearson
Total Posts: 237

Best reject the shippment or else you will have to pay postage to return it. As it is you will probably have to eat the postage to you .

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12099

Yup, that's what I am thinking of doing. I will reject the shipment then. RRS seems so confident that it won't mar up the camera..... May be it is a tolerance issue going bad as a result of poor workmanship like you originally mentioned. Whatever it is at this point, I am cancelling my order, I meant, rejecting the shipment tomorrow.

thedigitalbean
Total Posts: 6247

I wonder if the L plate will have a similar issue. I'm still waiting for delivery on the L.

geniousc
Total Posts: 1846

I am thinking the L plate will be the same design.

geniousc
Total Posts: 1846

AGeoJO wrote:
geniousc wrote:
Yes, and the rear anti-rotation ledge is pressing hard on the edge of the body. It could actually crack the plastic I suppose. It should be contoured to fit the camera body not press hard on it.

I am letting the cat a little out of the bag... the keyword is indeed "anti-rotation" but it is not supposed to mar up the body... . Not sure what to make out of this but actual users seem to have a point and their camera shows some kind of "indentation". I am considering of just rejecting the shipment tomorrow . Dang, I was looking forward to this actually...

Joshua, anti rotation can be a curved surface on front and back that fits the contours of the camera. I have a Pro Media Gear plate (ebay) for my 1D4 that has 4 corners all gently curved to fit the exact contours of the body. It doesn't rotate or leave marks and sits flat on the bottom, a truly well made product. Wedging effect to me is sorry to say, nothing more than a cheap design. The wedge puts more pressure on the body as you tighten it.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12099

Hi Gene,
I understand and I have decided to reject the shipment tomorrow. The Pro Media Gear plates look interesting alright but theirs, at least as of right now, do no not have the loop to attach a handstrap that I think is a desireable feature. Both RRS and Kirk plates have that. I will contact Pro Media tomorrow and see what they have to say.

jdben622
Total Posts: 4020

geniousc wrote:
I am thinking the L plate will be the same design.

Check with StanJ. He received his L-plate.

duffguy808
Total Posts: 843

This is not good. That body plate looks really bad attached to the camera. I don't understand why RRS would change the design of their camera plates. Doh!!!

khurram1
Total Posts: 3931

thedigitalbean wrote:
I wonder if the L plate will have a similar issue. I'm still waiting for delivery on the L.

I got a notification that my L-plate shipped Friday, so I'm hoping it won't have the same issue. Last thing i want is to pay the tax and the customs handling fees and then have to return it!

I picked up the generic camera plate from The Camera Store (made by Kirk), to use until the L-Bracket comes in (i figured i could also use that when i get the 1DX and have to wait for that L plate to be ready). It doesn't have the custom fit, but did the job this past weekend. The big issue is that I'm so used to an L-Plate now, that it was a pain to shoot vertically without one.

stanj
Total Posts: 9739

My L-plate fits perfectly, like all other RRS things.

James Taylor
Total Posts: 726

So are the plates different at the attachment points?

rick_reno
Total Posts: 272

i'd like to hear the explanation for this too. odd, all of their gear i have is well made and functions great.

orcastu
Total Posts: 53

I have mounted a plate with my acratech that seems to be working fine. It is one I used with a 60D (I believe) and while not perfect it is more snug than the fit in picture posted here.

Mike Tuomey
Total Posts: 2860

stan, that L plate doesn't look flush across the bottom to me (look closely at the left side/corner of the camera).

ghozer
Total Posts: 756

Wow. That is very unlike RRS. I couldn't wait for them to produce a plate before a recent trip and they didn't have a good generic option so I went with a Wimberley generic plate. Very satisfied with it. In fact, so much so that I may not go with the L- plate at all, which is normally on every body I use and I had planned on getting one once available.

Mike Pearson
Total Posts: 237

ghozer wrote:
Wow. That is very unlike RRS. I couldn't wait for them to produce a plate before a recent trip and they didn't have a good generic option so I went with a Wimberley generic plate. Very satisfied with it. In fact, so much so that I may not go with the L- plate at all, which is normally on every body I use and I had planned on getting one once available.

Ghozer -

Is this the plate?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276977-REG/Wimberley_P_5_P5_Universal_Quick_Release.html

kf4wm
Total Posts: 17

I am using the L plate from my 7D body on the 5D Marklll. Works great.

ghozer
Total Posts: 756

Yep!

Mike Pearson wrote:
ghozer wrote:

Ghozer -

Is this the plate?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276977-REG/Wimberley_P_5_P5_Universal_Quick_Release.html

3              17       18       end