5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!
/forum/topic/1099852/28

1       2       3              28      
       30       end

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3837

Maybe we can be lucky with 19 AF-points (they might be based on the old system) soon:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/canons-next-full-frame-camera-cr2/

arbitrage
Total Posts: 6114

Ralph Conway wrote:
Maybe we can be lucky with 19 AF-points (they might be based on the old system) soon:

I'd bet a lot of money that it will be the same translucent system that is in the 7D, 5D3 and 1DX. It will most likely be the exact 7D system we have today.

The rumoured entry FF will be aimed at 7D users to upgrade to FF anyways as it looks like there won't be a 7D successor going off all the hoopla around the upcoming firmware update. Therefore, all the upgrading 7D users will be perfectly fine with the same 19pt, translucent side-lit LCD that they have been happy with since 2009 anyways.

ggreene
Total Posts: 1889

Can't imagine 7D users are going to like the lower pixel density or the FPS of that rumored camera. Canon continues to offer no true upgrade path for the 1D4/7D type of body.

Imagemaster
Total Posts: 34478

ggreene wrote:
Canon continues to offer no true upgrade path for the 1D4/7D type of body.

Depends what assumption you believe:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-successors-cr1/

Ralph Conway

arbitrage wrote:
Ralph Conway wrote:

I'd bet a lot of money that it will be the same translucent system that is in the 7D, 5D3 and 1DX. It will most likely be the exact 7D system we have today.

The rumoured entry FF will be aimed at 7D users to upgrade to FF anyways as it looks like there won't be a 7D successor going off all the hoopla around the upcoming firmware update. Therefore, all the upgrading 7D users will be perfectly fine with the same 19pt, translucent side-lit LCD that they have been happy with since 2009 anyways.

Yes, you are right. I had not in mind that the 7Ds AF system already has 19 AF points.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

James Cripps wrote:
Beni wrote:
James Cripps wrote:
A response to my email regarding this issue, from Mr.Chuck Westfall just now:

"Dear Mr. Cripps:

We've been aware of the online reaction to the AF point illumination system of the EOS 5D Mark III and 1D X cameras for quite some time by now. This issue has already been reported to Canon Inc., however we have heard nothing from them in return. This is normal; we typically don't hear from them until they have decided how to respond. Your feedback will be added to our monthly report. Thanks! "

For some reason this gives me at least a small bit of hope!

Not me actually. Chuck is a nice guy and a straight shooter. He owned up on the 50L problem as well, same thing, Japan just ignored him. Got a feeling that might happen this time too.

That's true... gah. I'm *THIS* close to cancelling my pre-order on the 1DX.

Just because of this problem?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Ralph Conway wrote:

2K for FF? So how much will the 7D2 cost?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Ralph Conway

What 7D II?

Todd Klassy
Total Posts: 290

gratuitous bump

Todd Klassy

It sure would be nice if Canon responded to this matter soon. I had a photo shoot deep inside the woods in mixed lighting situations and was reminded how horrible this new "feature" really is.

pompo
Total Posts: 608

I miss all kind of shots...taking pics with primes it's even worse!!!

Todd Klassy

You keep saying that, Pompo, but I don't understand why a prime lens would be any different than a zoom lens. Care to elaborate?

Photon
Total Posts: 10061

pompo wrote:
I miss all kind of shots...taking pics with primes it's even worse!!!

Todd Klassy wrote:
You keep saying that, Pompo, but I don't understand why a prime lens would be any different than a zoom lens. Care to elaborate?

I suppose he means the fast aperture primes make it harder to see the outlines of the unilluminated AF points. That's what I find, anyway.

Todd Klassy

That's what I thought he meant, but I don't get it. Wouldn't the outline of the AF points be just as crisp regardless of aperture? Unless it differs in DOF preview mode.

Photon

Todd Klassy wrote:
That's what I thought he meant, but I don't get it. Wouldn't the outline of the AF points be just as crisp regardless of aperture? Unless it differs in DOF preview mode.

Actually, with an f/1.2 the rectangles look sort of weak brown instead of opaque black. Aim at a dark subject and it's a little harder to see than with a 2.8.

Photon

By the way, Pompo, have you tried this?

pompo

Todd Klassy wrote:

with a 1.2 or 1.4 lens there is a lot more light coming in and therefore the points get a lot brighter...when I put on a 2.8 it's a huge difference. Also the red illumination becomes virtually invisible as well.

Todd Klassy

Is that a factor of the lens or the aperture? I would think there's just as much light coming into a lens at f/2.8 regardless of whether it is a prime lens or a zoom lens, no?

And Photon, is the AF illumination equally annoying on the 1DX?

I wish Canon would get off their collective butts and let everyone know formally if they plan to do something about it or not. I'm buying two back-up cameras this month and need to decide whether to get two 7Ds, two 5D Mark IIIs, two 5D Mark IIs, or a combination of the above. This AF illumination issue impacts my decision.

pompo

it's due to the aperture I'm pretty sure

ggreene
Total Posts: 1889

I'm still waiting to see what Canon's response will be. I would not get your hopes up to high as the quote from Canon Rumors sounds very pessimistic that anything can be done about it given the hardware design and if so it would be less then optimal. Not encouraging.

1       2       3              28      
       30       end