5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!
/forum/topic/1099852/2

1       2      
       4              29       30       end

arbitrage
Total Posts: 5660

OMG, either you guys do have a defective camera or I'm going insane......

I'm sitting here with the 7D, 5D2 and 5D3. All 3 of them are doing the exact same thing. The only small difference is that on the 5D2 when you push the AF-On button to start focus the active AF point does flash red for 1 second and then again once focus is achieved. The 7D and 5D3 only flash once focus is achieved. I don't really see how this is important but I guess it is to some.

Or if the camera has been sitting idle for a minute then I can push the shutter button to activate metering and then I can use the little joystick to move my point and it flashes every time I move it. Same on all 3 cameras.

I'm so lost as to what behaviour people are expecting it to do.

arbitrage

netexpress wrote:
Ooh Faahh!

Just got my first non-1-series (5D III) too and lit it up an hour or so ago and am going through the same thing.

So in AI Servo? I see a bunch of khaki colored focus points popping around that are hard to see that never turn red.

This is a 1-seris auto-focus system?

Doh!

On my D4 in AI Servo I can clearly see each and every point on each duck as it comes into focus - quack! quack!

I'm going to sit down in the morning and work this out.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Wait, khaki colored? I'm seeing dark black and then if in not bright light I see bright red points when either moving the point, focus confirmation or when pushing the AF selection button to the right of the * button. Where are you seeing khaki from?? Again, mine are dark black. Read my post at the end of page 1 and try some of those settings first.

EDIT: Are you outside against bright sky or bright background. If you have a certain amount of light and AF illumination is ON then the red light may look brown a bit. I just tried against the sky (sun has just set, early twilight) and they may look a bit dark brown because it is not too bright that they only stay black and not dark enough to really show the red color yet.

The 5D2's red is visible in any lighting so I guess that is the main problem people are having on here.

Yohan Pamudji
Total Posts: 1398

AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm talking about having already set the AF point and just using it, not moving it around. I figured that it would show a red box while you're moving the selected point around, otherwise that would be really insane But if I set the AF point a few minutes ago and haven't moved it around, when I start focusing does the red box flash instead of just when focus lock is achieved? That's what every Canon camera I've used does although I haven't used the 7D.

Yes, it will show the red box if you move the AF point around and each time you push the AF back button or shutterbutton, it will be lit again. And it will be lit again once the focus is nailed. Just like any other Canon camera.... That's why I don't understand the big deal that people make this out to be . Not addressed at you, just people at large.

Sorry for being slow--I'm trying to reconcile what everybody is saying, so I'm confused So one more time just to make sure: on the 5DIII when I press the AF ON button to start AF the red box around the active AF point lights up, and when it achieves focus lock it lights up again? If so this is exactly what I expect and I'm confused too what the issue is.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11820

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
Sorry for being slow--I'm trying to reconcile what everybody is saying, so I'm confused So one more time just to make sure: on the 5DIII when I press the AF ON button to start AF the red box around the active AF point lights up, and when it achieves focus lock it lights up again? If so this is exactly what I expect and I'm confused too what the issue is.

Yes to that question! That's why I am confused as well.... What's the big deal? Basically, all Canon cameras I have had and still do have, did exactly that and still do, actually

arbitrage

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm talking about having already set the AF point and just using it, not moving it around. I figured that it would show a red box while you're moving the selected point around, otherwise that would be really insane But if I set the AF point a few minutes ago and haven't moved it around, when I start focusing does the red box flash instead of just when focus lock is achieved? That's what every Canon camera I've used does although I haven't used the 7D.

Yes, it will show the red box if you move the AF point around and each time you push the AF back button or shutterbutton, it will be lit again. And it will be lit again once the focus is nailed. Just like any other Canon camera.... That's why I don't understand the big deal that people make this out to be . Not addressed at you, just people at large.

Actually the one difference is when you push AFON it doesn't light up till it gets focus. It is showing as a black square if you have it set to show always or during prefocus in the menu. This is one difference from the 5D2. Also the red is not visible in bright light. All of this is the same as the 7D but not the rebels, XXDs and 5D/2. I hope all you guys know the 1DX is like this also. I'm not sure how the 1D4 was?

arbitrage

AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:

Yes to that question! That's why I am confused as well.... What's the big deal? Basically, all Canon cameras I have had and still do have, did exactly that and still do, actually

It doesn't pre light before it achieves focus unless you push the AF selection button next to the * button. So people do have a valid argument but to me seems pointless.

Yohan Pamudji
Total Posts: 1398

AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:

Hmm... so did arbitrage get a different firmware version? He's saying the red box doesn't flash at the beginning of AF, only once lock is achieved.

Binh Ly
Total Posts: 3228

AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:

Not on my 5D III. When I press the AF-ON (or half shutter), the active AF point does NOT become red immediately. It remains black. Only when that point achieves focus does it become red. It is a bit different from the 5D2 and other Canon bodies.

arbitrage

See Binh Ly is with me!!!

arbitrage

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:

Hmm... so did arbitrage get a different firmware version? He's saying the red box doesn't flash at the beginning of AF, only once lock is achieved.

100% does not flash. Now because this camera has the fastest AF I've ever used, if you are close to the right focus setting it is so instantaneous to achieve focus that you may think it preflashed but if you deliberately MF your lens way out to infinity and then focus at MFD it doesn't flash red till it gets focus.

netexpress
Total Posts: 2140

I'm just completely new to the Canon non-1-series bodies. It works differently and an hour isn't enough to get used to it. I wasted some time on video and learning the menu system, etc. I'm not saying there is something wrong with the camera - there is something wrong with me!

Ironically the Nikon D4 works more like my Canon 1Ds III and Canon 1D IV than the 5D III does.

I've got to look at the AI Servo more on the 5D III - because so far I'm not seeing and red focus confirmation dots.

But to be clear I haven't looked at the manual. I'm just taking it for a spin. I've never tried a 5D series or a 7D or even a Rebel. So this is something new to me.

I'm sure I'll get a clue in the morning.

There are other things I really like on the camera so far like the menu integration on the camera with the 600EX-RT - that is nice. And the video is also nice. So I'm not bashing the 5D III at all. Just a different flight plan than what I've rehearsed in the past.

Binh Ly

I can see this becoming a problem in low light. But, I did notice that if I wanted to IMMEDIATELY know which AF point is active, I can always press the SELECT-AF button and it will all light up red and I can clearly see my selected AF point inside a square so that helps me a little bit.

It is kinda annoying since it is different from the 5D2.

arbitrage

BTW I am firmware 1.0.7 but I don't think that is an issue.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11820

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

AGeoJO wrote:

arbitrage wrote:
It doesn't pre light before it achieves focus unless you push the AF selection button next to the * button. So people do have a valid argument but to me seems pointless.

Binh Ly wrote:
Not on my 5D III. When I press the AF-ON (or half shutter), the active AF point does NOT become red immediately. It remains black. Only when that point achieves focus does it become red. It is a bit different from the 5D2 and other Canon bodies.

I apologize, Geoff and Bihn Ly are correct . The "problem" is the AF of the 5D Mark III is basically instantenous and it gives the illusion that it does. But that's exactly how the 5D Mark II works. I don't see any difference there.

Sorry, Geoff, I missed your post earlier since it is moving at a warp speed .

netexpress

True but if I set the AF Drive to AI Servo and I've selected to use only X-type points. Then I've set the auto-focus to choose any of these points. And I I see the khaki colored points pop up trying to track and they are just hard to see without illumination i.e. they never turn bright red neon-argon laser type color that I'm used to.

If I set the AF Drive to One shot it isn't as big of a deal. I can just hit the button and see where I am. I can get used to that. It's just not as clear as the bodies I'm used to.

arbitrage

netexpress wrote:
I'm just completely new to the Canon non-1-series bodies. It works differently and an hour isn't enough to get used to it. I wasted some time on video and learning the menu system, etc. I'm not saying there is something wrong with the camera - there is something wrong with me!

Ironically the Nikon D4 works more like my Canon 1Ds III and Canon 1D IV than the 5D III does.

I've got to look at the AI Servo more on the 5D III - because so far I'm not seeing and red focus confirmation dots.

But to be clear I haven't looked at the manual. I'm just taking it for a spin. I've never tried a 5D series or a 7D or even a Rebel. So this is something new to me.

I'm sure I'll get a clue in the morning.

There are other things I really like on the camera so far like the menu integration on the camera with the 600EX-RT - that is nice. And the video is also nice. So I'm not bashing the 5D III at all. Just a different flight plan than what I've rehearsed in the past.

Now AI Servo is a bit of a different beast and I don't think you are going to find it to your normal liking. It doesn't ever flash red while tracking it just focuses but never tells you what is going on. This was actually my main issue with the 7D (and now the 5D3). I'd suggest setting the AF point display to Always on as then at least you see the black box of where it is in the VF. I'm not sure how the Nikons and 1 series do this and maybe they stay lit up??

arbitrage

netexpress wrote:
True but if I set the AF Drive to AI Servo and I've selected to use only X-type points. Then I've set the auto-focus to choose any of these points. And I I see the khaki colored points pop up trying to track and they are just hard to see without illumination i.e. they never turn bright red neon-argon laser type color that I'm used to.

If I set the AF Drive to One shot it isn't as big of a deal. I can just hit the button and see where I am. I can get used to that. It's just not as clear as the bodies I'm used to.

Does it really look khaki though, what lighting are you in . In a dark environment does it look red? Mine in a bright environment looks very black not khaki at all.

netexpress

Yeah that's the best setting I can find.

On the Nikon D3x, D4, Nikon D700 and Canon 1-series they stay illuminated. It's much easier to see. and there isn't as much of the red bleeding into the viewfinder (or into the lens for that matter). The system works very well. I hope they keep the old 1-series viewfinder system in the 1D X. I can't speak for the new Nikon D800 - I can't get hold of one yet.

Anyway - what I really want to know is outside tomorrow! That will be exciting!

Binh Ly

AGeoJO wrote:
Yohan Pamudji wrote:

AGeoJO wrote:

arbitrage wrote:

Binh Ly wrote:

I apologize, Geoff and Bihn Ly are correct . The "problem" is the AF of the 5D Mark III is basically instantenous and it gives the illusion that it does. But that's exactly how the 5D Mark II works. I don't see any difference there.

My 5D2 works differently. Once I press the AF-ON (or half shutter), the active point will always light red IMMEDIATELY. Does not matter whether focus has been achieved yet or not - it will always light up red as soon as you press AF-ON, and then it will blink red again once focus has been achieved. You can try it yourself. I think that's where the complaint is coming from. The 5D3 behavior is not exactly the same as the 5D2.

netexpress

Yes, Khaki. Now keep in mind I just got the camera unwrapped and charged the battery and didn't get it powered up until after dark here on the left coast. So I haven't experienced it outside in regular daylight. I'm testing it in a dark house. But if I point it at the FM page on my computer screen the AF points look Khaki to me.

1       2      
       4              29       30       end