Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/86

1       2       3              86      
       88              333       334       end

alba63
Total Posts: 551

It is a shame that Fuji brings many other lenses before the one that I wait for the most, and many others I guess: The portrait lens (56mm 1,2). Till then many close portraits will be made with the good, but (for this purpose) not optimal 35mm lens. The 35 shows slight traces of the "WA face distortion" effect, it is very good for half and full body portraits, but not so well for head shots...

Bernie

Jman13
Total Posts: 10776

The 60/2.4 makes for a great portrait lens. You won't get ultra-shallow DOF, but you do get plenty of background blur and it's got gorgeous bokeh and is very sharp.

sky_barker
Total Posts: 527

Nice shot Jorden! I gave the 60 a try but was so frustrated watching it try to focus for as many as 6 back-and-forth cycles that I wound up returning mine (XE-1,latest firmware).

I tried all of the focus modes but just couldn't get good results indoors.

Any tips for those thinking about this lens?

Jman13

sky_barker wrote:
Nice shot Jorden! I gave the 60 a try but was so frustrated watching it try to focus for as many as 6 back-and-forth cycles that I wound up returning mine (XE-1,latest firmware).

I tried all of the focus modes but just couldn't get good results indoors.

Any tips for those thinking about this lens?

When did you use the 60? Was the firmware in the lens updated too? From what I understand, the more recent lens firmware updates help it quite a bit. It's still slow...not a speed demon focuser for sure, and I've had it hunt from time to time, but for the most part it's done quite well. Of course, you need to be in macro mode to have any hope of locking focus on very close items, but I found it mostly locks just fine on medium distance stuff as long as there's contrast.

Of course, when I need real focusing speed, I put down my X-E1 and grab my OM-D with 75/1.8, 60/2.8 macro or 35-100/2.8.

Alexey011
Total Posts: 47

Couple friends of mine and me took a ride for a weekend and tried to capture some beauty of eastern Serbia.

All taken by Fuji X-E1 and 18-55.

tardegardo
Total Posts: 75

Jman13

Baby ducks! Had to be ultra stealthy, taking about 10 minutes to move close to these guys, since my 60mm was the longest lens I had at the time. (Wish I had my OM-D with 35-100)...but I managed to get plenty close and get a few shots of these baby ducks and their mom. For the second shot, I was only maybe 3 feet away.

Sagar
Total Posts: 1024

Jordan these are awesome, love the clarity and sharpness. Your photos is one of the reasons I finally settled on X-E as my mirror-less system. Hope I will have images worth sharing in this thread soon

michael49
Total Posts: 5450

Love those duck shots Jordan.

Couldn't pass up a good deal on the X-E1 and 35 1.4 on the buy/sell here. I've been shooting with it for the past couple of days, comparing it with the OM-D. I've heard others describe the X-E1 a more "deliberate" camera than the OM-D and I would agree with that. Feels quite slow compared with the OM-D, but the colors and dynamic range are impressive.

Anyone have any opinions of the 18 f/2 vs the 18-55? One of those two will be my next lens.

All with the 35 1.4.....

Manual pano...

Fuji X-trans "watercolor" effect.......

corposant
Total Posts: 2803

michael49 wrote:

Anyone have any opinions of the 18 f/2 vs the 18-55? One of those two will be my next lens.

Unless you reeeeeeeaaaally want to shoot that 18mm at f/2, get the zoom instead. The zoom is just incredibly impressive all the way around.

michael49

corposant wrote:
michael49 wrote:

Unless you reeeeeeeaaaally want to shoot that 18mm at f/2, get the zoom instead. The zoom is just incredibly impressive all the way around.

Makes sense, just wish it were a bit smaller. I probably should get the zoom and then save for the 14 2.8.

cputeq
Total Posts: 4723

This thread is great advertising

I am --> This close <-- to getting the XE-1 and maybe the kit lens. -- my only hangup is whether I really want to go this route or go back to the OMD (which I owned before). The thing making me consider this is the XE1 lacks a rear swivel LCD - such a great feature.

I really like my 5D3, but I find I never take it with me anywhere, especially when I go mountain biking. I thought my GX1 would serve as a small camera, and it's good in its own right, but the Fuji's files are just superb (something I don't like about the GX1, even at base ISO).

As the meme goes, "first world problems."

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1825

I went from the X-E1 to an OM-D cputeq. The swivel touch screen indeed is a killer feature. The blazing fast AF is too.
If you can live with some slower paced shooting I would always choose the Fuji. IQ really is better IMHO.

Jman13

Image quality from the sensor is better on the X-E1. Lenses are excellent as well, though I think the very best m4/3 lenses are at least as good for the most part, and in most cases a little better (aside from the 14mm, which is better than any of the m4/3 wides). I like the Fuji controls better...the aperture ring, shutter speed dial and EC dial are just so dead simple and fast to change.

However, the OM-D's the better overall camera. AF is VASTLY better on the OM-D, as is just overall system responsiveness, and there are times when I have the Fuji out that I sorely miss the OM-D's IBIS. I'm finding myself taking the Fuji for most daily shoots around town, but I grab the OM-D for times when shots are critical, or when I need expanded capabilities.

One key thing is this: If I miss a shot with the OM-D, it's almost guaranteed that it's because I screwed something up. If I miss a shot with the Fuji, it's probably that the camera screwed up...and it happens a lot more often. When shooting candid portraits, I will definitely miss shots from time to time with the Fuji, just from the speed of AF, or more likely because it fails to find focus (happens about 5% of the time indoors).

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1825

I agree with your more detailed description Jordan.

Brody LeBlanc
Total Posts: 1040

Gabby - X-E1 w/ 35/1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Fiddle - X-E1 w/ 35/1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Commerce - X100s by brodyl.91, on Flickr

This last one is a part of a series of work I'm putting together for a gallery show:

Pigs - X-E1 w/ 35/1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Also feel free to vote for the photo at:
http://2013faces.nielsencontests.com/bin/Rate?image_id=2011400977

cputeq

Jman13 wrote:
Image quality from the sensor is better on the X-E1. Lenses are excellent as well, though I think the very best m4/3 lenses are at least as good for the most part, and in most cases a little better (aside from the 14mm, which is better than any of the m4/3 wides). I like the Fuji controls better...the aperture ring, shutter speed dial and EC dial are just so dead simple and fast to change.

However, the OM-D's the better overall camera. AF is VASTLY better on the OM-D, as is just overall system responsiveness, and there are times when I have the Fuji out that I sorely miss the OM-D's IBIS. I'm finding myself taking the Fuji for most daily shoots around town, but I grab the OM-D for times when shots are critical, or when I need expanded capabilities.

One key thing is this: If I miss a shot with the OM-D, it's almost guaranteed that it's because I screwed something up. If I miss a shot with the Fuji, it's probably that the camera screwed up...and it happens a lot more often. When shooting candid portraits, I will definitely miss shots from time to time with the Fuji, just from the speed of AF, or more likely because it fails to find focus (happens about 5% of the time indoors).

I appreciate the writeup, and you've pretty much summed up what I would imagine the XE-1 to be like - worse AFand overall responsiveness, better external controls, better IQ. If only the OMD had a 1.5x crop instead of 2x

I'll probably just bide my time to see how the UWA zoom and 55-300 turn out, but so far I'm liking the photos I do get to see.

michael49

cputeq wrote:
This thread is great advertising

I am --> This close <-- to getting the XE-1 and maybe the kit lens. -- my only hangup is whether I really want to go this route or go back to the OMD (which I owned before). The thing making me consider this is the XE1 lacks a rear swivel LCD - such a great feature.

I really like my 5D3, but I find I never take it with me anywhere, especially when I go mountain biking. I thought my GX1 would serve as a small camera, and it's good in its own right, but the Fuji's files are just superb (something I don't like about the GX1, even at base ISO).

As the meme goes, "first world problems."

If you don't like the GX1 files I'm not sure why you would like the OMD's files - they are pretty similar.

I've only owned the X-E1 for a few days, but so far I would agree with everything that Jordan says.

So far I love the X-E1 for its simplicity. I love the ergonomics, which at least for me, goes a long way in terms of enjoying a camera. It just feels good to use.

The two things that have surprised me so far is how good the metering is (something that drives me batty with my 6D and sometimes even the the OMD) and the IQ - I expected it to be good, but this is the best IQ I've seen yet in a sub full frame camera......in terms of colors, dynamic range and high ISO, its impressive.....

This was a product shot I took tonight (to sell some of my Canon gear ) with the X-E1 and 35 1.4 @ f/2, ISO 3200, 1/40s, hand-held in horrible light (yea, I know - lousy way to do product shots), shot RAW and converted in LR (pushed another half stop in PP).....focus on 24-105....

cputeq

Thanks for the thoughts.

As to the gx1 they are similar but IMO not as smooth as OMD files, there is a grain pattern present in the GX1 that is just a bit more rough than the OMD at all ISOs, nothing terrible but I am a cursed pixel peeper so it bothers me. (Stupid I know, I am in therapy) .

mspencer1
Total Posts: 575

Some really amazing photos in this thread. I've been looking for something more portable when I can't bring the 5DIII and lenses but that would still have decent IQ. This thread definitely helped me to make my decision and ended up getting the X-E1 with 18-55 and 35 1.4 which just arrived. I can't wait to play with it.

1       2       3              86      
       88              333       334       end