Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/66

1       2       3              66      
       68              321       322       end

Jman13
Total Posts: 10699

Yes, that's at f/1.4. The Canon FD is one of the best all around 50mm f/1.4's I've used, and I've had a ton of them (EF 50/1.4 and f/1.8, Sigma 50/1.4, Takumar 50/1.4, Zeiss 50/1.7, FD 50/1.8, Minolta MD 50/1.4, etc). It's got a good balance of contrast, sharpness and decent bokeh. While it's not the absolute best at any of those, it's good at all of them, and so as far as adapted 50s go, it's my favorite. The FD 50/1.8 is a little sharper, but contrast is a little harsh and bokeh isn't as nice (and it's slower). Interestingly enough, both FD 50s from Canon are better than their current EF siblings.

I like the 50/1.4 on the X-E1 because it's relatively small while still being fast. If I want really shallow DOF in this range, I use my Hexanon 57mm f/1.2, which is also very good, but MUCH bigger and heavier, and not quite as sharp wide open (but REALLY good from f/1.8 on). I got lucky on my FD 50/1.4, as when I got it, the focus ring was jammed and slightly bent. I picked it up for $45. A little messing around with a little precision screwdriver, and I bent the focus ring back and it's now silky smooth. Optics were perfect, so the lens is in great shape aside from a few scratches on the barrel from the denting and repair of said dent.

tardegardo
Total Posts: 75

Well, I am very surprised; are you absolutely sure that's F/1.4?
I am sorry I keep asking, I don't want to seem ill-mannered, but I had a chance to try that lens once, with my xe1, and I am absolutely sure that at F/1.4 it was very soft. It was an s.s.c. version, and started to be pretty sharp from F/2.0 on.

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 1700

tardegardo wrote:
I am sorry I keep asking, I don't want to seem ill-mannered, but I had a chance to try that lens once, with my xe1, and I am absolutely sure that at F/1.4 it was very soft. It was an s.s.c. version, and started to be pretty sharp from F/2.0 on.

There can be rather noticeable variation from one sample lens to another. To say nothing as to whether the lens is totally in alignment. As an example and this is in reference to a Leica R lens, I had my Leica 100mm f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit lens serviced by Leica USA. This lens is know to have exceptional performance. When I picked up the lens from Leica USA, the repair Tech volunteered that I had an extremely fine performing specimen of this particular lens based upon his testing.

Rich

tardegardo

naturephoto1 wrote:
tardegardo wrote:

There can be rather noticeable variation from one sample lens to another. To say nothing as to whether the lens is totally in alignment. As an example and this is in reference to a Leica R lens, I had my Leica 100mm f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit lens serviced by Leica USA. This lens is know to have exceptional performance. When I picked up the lens from Leica USA, the repair Tech volunteered that I had an extremely fine performing specimen of this particular lens based upon his testing.

Rich

Yes, but all the online samples show the same result as mine: not sharp at all at F/1.4. It seems that Jordan's exemplar is particularly sharp instead, it seems to be the only one really sharp, actually, at that aperture. Maybe he just pulled sharpness in PP. I don't know, just wondering. But I like that shot.

Jman13

I mean, there's added sharpness from the reduction. It's not razor sharp at f/1.4, but there's a good bit of resolution and its sharp enough. Mine is the new FD version.

tardegardo

I see, thank you!

Jman13

Here's a 100% crop from that image. There's some noise, since it was taken at ISO 2000.

For a more intense test of center and mid range sharpness (since it's edge on Micro 4/3), you can check out my battle of 12 lenses I did a while back, which includes the FD 50/1.8 and 50/1.4, along with my Hexanon 57/1.2, Rokkor 50/1.4, Oly 45/1.8, etc... I say more intense simply because these tests are on a 16MP m4/3 sensor, so very high pixel density.

Center sharpness: http://admiringlight.com/blog/12-lenses-spanning-50-years-do-battle/
Edge Sharpness: http://admiringlight.com/blog/12-lenses-spanning-50-years-do-battle-part-2/
Bokeh: http://admiringlight.com/blog/12-lenses-spanning-50-years-do-battle-part-3/

Don't forget to click the green arrow when enlarging to see at 100%.

tardegardo

Ok, i got the lens from a friend. Tested it again on my x-e1 and on an Olympus e-p3. Well, on micro 4/3 the fd 50mm is much sharper at 1.4

Great review though. Thank you.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

tardegardo wrote:
Ok, i got the lens from a friend. Tested it again on my x-e1 and on an Olympus e-p3. Well, on micro 4/3 the fd 50mm is much sharper at 1.4

Great review though. Thank you.

wait, what? the lens is sharper on your e-p3 than it is on your x-e1?

tardegardo

Yes. That seemed strange to me too. I did more tests. Same result. On my 'old' e-p3 it shines...
I might think it's the adapter, but, don't know, I'm skeptic about it.

tardegardo

He's got also a 24mm fd 2.8 I could try on both cameras.
Same result. Micro4/3 wins hands down.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

tardegardo wrote:
He's got also a 24mm fd 2.8 I could try on both cameras.
Same result. Micro4/3 wins hands down.

in the center? that's super weird, are you sure you're nailing focus with the fuji?

otherwise i guess it must be down to sensor toppings and maybe the non-bayer array.

tardegardo

I have no idea of the bayer array is. But I am pretty sure I nailed focus. I cannot have missed it all the times...
The kit lens is super sharp of course...

carstenw
Total Posts: 15869

How are you focusing adapted lenses?

turbodude
Total Posts: 1387

carstenw wrote:

Manual focus only

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 1700

turbodude wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Manual focus only

I think what Carsten may be asking is are you using the magnification set at maximum of 10X to check focus on the X-E1 and preferably for the camera to be mounted on a tripod to assure no movement.

Rich

BokehBeauty
Total Posts: 164

Well, nothing sensational. I just wanted to share my surprise how well the built-in panorama function of the X-E1 works. The function on the X100 gave me vertical banding - even on manual exposure if I remember right.

Full size here Full size

carstenw
Total Posts: 15869

naturephoto1 wrote:
turbodude wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Manual focus only

I think what Carsten may be asking is are you using the magnification set at maximum of 10X to check focus on the X-E1 and preferably for the camera to be mounted on a tripod to assure no movement.

Rich

Yes, I mean do you use live view, zoom, peaking, sliding images, or what feature?

turbodude
Total Posts: 1387

carstenw wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
turbodude wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Manual focus only

Rich

Yes, I mean do you use live view, zoom, peaking, sliding images, or what feature?

i use my eye to the EVF.

i used to shoot film so i can generally see when something is in focus. hand held. my xe1 is my personal cam, not really used too much for work, so i get to experiment alot.

tardegardo

turbodude wrote:
carstenw wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
turbodude wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Manual focus only

Rich

i use my eye to the EVF.

i used to shoot film so i can generally see when something is in focus. hand held. my xe1 is my personal cam, not really used too much for work, so i get to experiment alot.

Turbo, the question was for me I guess…
Yes, I use live view and max magnification; no tripod though since I don't have one.
But I doubt that I missed focus all the times i tested the lenses on x-e1.
And always nailed it on e-p3….

1       2       3              66      
       68              321       322       end