35 1.4 @ f/5.6, ISO 200

mfoto
Total Posts: 2338

35 1.4 @ f/2, ISO 200

ceder
Total Posts: 280

mfoto wrote:
35 1.4 @ f/7.1- ISO 200

That's a great B&W, and with some pop too!

mfoto

Thanks cedar

Khun Hans
Total Posts: 412

mfoto wrote:
35 1.4 @ f/7.1- ISO 200

Fantastic Street Photography. Love all 3 of them.
Hans

VinnieJ
Total Posts: 1978

Is anyone using any alt lenses with the XP1 yet?

bigkidneys
Total Posts: 1001

I just got my M42 adapter last night and if the weather hold up here today, plan on taking my Super Tak 50/1.4, Helios 44-2, Fujinon 50/1.4 and Jupiter 9 out for a spin. Quick pics this morning with the Tak came out pretty good.

VinnieJ
Total Posts: 1978

mfoto

Two landscape shots, both with the 35 1.4 @ f/11, ISO 200

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 3015

Looks very crisp indeed.

How does the X Pro 1 handle highlights? A few samples I've seen seem to have some seriously blown highlights, but I don't peg that to the sensor, but I wonder about highlight roll off. Does the X Pro 1 have smooth or abrupt highlight roll off or does it clip easily?

deadwolfbones
Total Posts: 2595

Some SOOC JPEGs from the X-Pro1. 35/1.4 and 18/2. All default settings, various film emulation modes:

(misfocused but I like it anyway)

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4938

Nice images deadwolfbones.

About the only concern I have is the apparent tendency for grave overexposure I'm seeing in some of these, such as the tulips. 1/700 @ f/2.8 at ISO 200 is nearly 3 stops over from my 'sunny f/16 rule' of 1/4000 f/2.8 ISO 160, albeit that is based on the characteristics of another camera. Maybe the XP1 is a bit different in this regard, but the image is definitely overexposed resulting in the extreme loss of detail in the blown out reds.

It's going to be a personal preference, and mine in sunny conditions when shooting with the sun, is to work in manual exposure mode in order to bypass the unnecessary and inherent tendencies for the light meter to incorrectly shift exposure when the intensity of the light (sun) has not changed. This is precisely why incident light meters were so popular in the day, because they weren't fooled by the reflective qualities of what was being photographed and simply measured the intensity of the light falling on the scene. And if the intensity of the light does not change, therefore the exposure also does not change.

Having now seen a few XP1 reviews, it would seem the camera might have a tendency to overexpose. Combine that with some higher contrast/saturation film emulation profiles and color clipping will be an issue.

James Burden
Total Posts: 1161

Dialated Iris by James_Burden, on Flickr

Zen Garden by James_Burden, on Flickr

Serenity Now by James_Burden, on Flickr

Moss Gathering by James_Burden, on Flickr

Liliputian by James_Burden, on Flickr

deadwolfbones

rscheffler wrote:
Nice images deadwolfbones.

About the only concern I have is the apparent tendency for grave overexposure I'm seeing in some of these, such as the tulips. 1/700 @ f/2.8 at ISO 200 is nearly 3 stops over from my 'sunny f/16 rule' of 1/4000 f/2.8 ISO 160, albeit that is based on the characteristics of another camera. Maybe the XP1 is a bit different in this regard, but the image is definitely overexposed resulting in the extreme loss of detail in the blown out reds.

It's going to be a personal preference, and mine in sunny conditions when shooting with the sun, is to work in manual exposure mode in order to bypass the unnecessary and inherent tendencies for the light meter to incorrectly shift exposure when the intensity of the light (sun) has not changed. This is precisely why incident light meters were so popular in the day, because they weren't fooled by the reflective qualities of what was being photographed and simply measured the intensity of the light falling on the scene. And if the intensity of the light does not change, therefore the exposure also does not change.

Having now seen a few XP1 reviews, it would seem the camera might have a tendency to overexpose. Combine that with some higher contrast/saturation film emulation profiles and color clipping will be an issue.

It definitely seems to err toward overexposure more than underexposure, though I think this is more of a flaw in the metering system rather than a conscious design choice (take a look at the sky shot for an instance where the vast majority of the image is definitely underexposed).

I guess this is why it's good there's a dedicated EV comp dial.

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 3015

The shot with the "355" sign has a weird colored roof and the reds seem a bit out of gamut / overly saturated in some shots. What Jpeg settings? I can imagine that the Velvia setting could crank reds over the top a bit.

A dedicated EV comp dial is good to have, regardless.

bigkidneys

yeah, the velvia setting will make pinks and reds almost indistinguishable of detail. I use mine with Provia and it does much better. Will be nice when "Good" Raw support is available but in the mean time the jpegs are actually really nice.

bigkidneys

James Burden wrote:

Dialated Iris by James_Burden, on Flickr

Zen Garden by James_Burden, on Flickr

Serenity Now by James_Burden, on Flickr

Moss Gathering by James_Burden, on Flickr

Liliputian by James_Burden, on Flickr

James, were these shot with the 35? The last one seems to have a more narrow DOF than normal with the 35 or are you using alts with yours?

deadwolfbones

kosmoskatten wrote:
The shot with the "355" sign has a weird colored roof and the reds seem a bit out of gamut / overly saturated in some shots. What Jpeg settings? I can imagine that the Velvia setting could crank reds over the top a bit.

A dedicated EV comp dial is good to have, regardless.

That roof actually is that color. I'm guessing that was Velvia setting, but it may have been Standard.

The reds are definitely oversaturated in the tulip shot, and I've seen it happen in a few other places as well.

James Burden
Total Posts: 1161

bigkidneys wrote:
James Burden wrote:

James, were these shot with the 35? The last one seems to have a more narrow DOF than normal with the 35 or are you using alts with yours?

All with the 35....

1       2      
       4              320       321       end