Canon EOS 1D-X now shipping pre-orders!
/forum/topic/1094769/6

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

arbitrage
Total Posts: 6124

ICee wrote:
You can bet the big agencies will have them well before London 2012, it will be Joe public that will have to wait.

Yeah, probably those types are already starting to get the first trickle even now and Canon just knows that none will be available for mere mortals until June so they aren't going to over promise again.

PetKal
Total Posts: 24768

I think this new camera might hit the market before 1Dx.
(Image taken from DPR)

ifxbonz
Total Posts: 1733

Stoffer wrote:
WebDog wrote:
Ok, so it's official, mid-june
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/12/Canon-EOS-1DX-coming-in-june

Well CRAP ! ! That just sucks.

Andy

voltaire
Total Posts: 1612

That's disappointing but hopefully it turns out to be a better product.

ifxbonz
Total Posts: 1733

I am pulling out from being an early adopter due to the latest news of the delivery delay on the 1dx. If anyone wants my spot just let me know before I cancel my B&H order. Just pay me once I get billed. I won't make a dime. If I can change my delivery for you I will.

Andy

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4978

PetKal wrote:
rscheffler wrote:
Peter, I checked with my Canon dealer and your guesstimate for the Canadian CPS price about right, assuming you have platinum membership... I got the distinct impression from what they told me, that if you're gold, it's a different price, somewhere between the two extremes. I didn't ask for gold details, so I don't know the precise figure.

Ron, my Henry's contact has left me with the impression that they have only one CPS price on their books which is not dependent on the CPS membership level the buyer has. However, now that you've mentioned it, I am not sure of that any longer.

Well, that's what my dealer told me. When I asked again, they said there is a 5% difference, but I haven't called any other shops to verify this.

joakim wrote:
CPS = Canada Penny Savers?

Joakim - haven't you heard? Canada is following Sweden's lead and eliminating the penny.

DocsPics
Total Posts: 2547

ifxbonz wrote:
I am pulling out from being an early adopter due to the latest news of the delivery delay on the 1dx. If anyone wants my spot just let me know before I cancel my B&H order. Just pay me once I get billed. I won't make a dime. If I can change my delivery for you I will.

Andy

You got mail !

WalnutPond
Total Posts: 673

I preordered and got one of the very first released public body 1dMkIII bodies, and we all know how that turned out. Given delays here, I'm holding off ordering and keeping my markIV until news that the X is solid is clear. I was banging my head against a wall for months with the III and was told over and over again it was user error until the service work started getting done.

I hope you early purchasers do well, but I'm once burned twice shy on initial release for 1d bodies and any delay gives me further cause for concern.

PetKal
Total Posts: 24768

WalnutPond wrote:
I preordered and got one of the very first released public body 1dMkIII bodies, and we all know how that turned out. Given delays here, I'm holding off ordering and keeping my markIV until news that the X is solid is clear. I was banging my head against a wall for months with the III and was told over and over again it was user error until the service work started getting done.

I hope you early purchasers do well, but I'm once burned twice shy on initial release for 1d bodies and any delay gives me further cause for concern.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

victorwol
Total Posts: 4

those delays can also be a sign of Canon trying to iron out all the issues before release.... just trying to be optimistic... I have put a pre order with B&H like 1 hour after they opened the preorders... thinking every day if I'm going to keep it or not. I have never owned a 1D body. I had the chance to play with the camera a bit at the NAB, and it feels super solid, but is really hard to judge so quickly... the lack of the wheel on the top left side sort of felt weird to me, but nothing one can not adjust to.

I tested with my 5D MKIII and the 1DX with the same lens to take a photo on the very dark booth, at ISO 25,000 and the 5D had a lot of color noise and the 1DX was pretty clean of color noise... but this just judging from the camera LCD, so is not very scientific.

victorwol

One thing I noticed, the silent mode of the 1DX is not really that silent when compared to the5d MKIII. It is actually pretty loud.

stanj
Total Posts: 9753

victorwol wrote:
One thing I noticed, the silent mode of the 1DX is not really that silent when compared to the5d MKIII. It is actually pretty loud.

... and it's only single frame, not continuous. Even though that's something that could be fixed via FW.

victorwol

I hope they fix it.... although I doubt they could make it as silent as the 5D MKIII is... its a great feature. I have being taking photos with people not even noticing. That is really cool.

Rav13
Total Posts: 201

I spoke to the canon rep, they won't release a silent shutter like the 5DIII due to the shutter mechanism, it's totally different.

That 5D III silent shutter is impressive though.

stanj wrote:
victorwol wrote:

... and it's only single frame, not continuous. Even though that's something that could be fixed via FW.

Rav13
Total Posts: 201

victorwol wrote:
I have never owned a 1D body. I had the chance to play with the camera a bit at the NAB, and it feels super solid, but is really hard to judge so quickly... the lack of the wheel on the top left side sort of felt weird to me, but nothing one can not adjust to.

Same here, never owned a 1 series but always dreamt of getting one, hope they start shipping and the mid June release gets pushed forward, I've been on the pre-order since end of Oct 2011!

stanj
Total Posts: 9753

victorwol wrote:

stanj wrote:

Rav13 wrote:
I spoke to the canon rep, they won't release a silent shutter like the 5DIII due to the shutter mechanism, it's totally different.

That 5D III silent shutter is impressive though.

That's fine, and obvious. But that would not preclude them from adding CONTINUOUS silent shooting mode. That was my point, and has nothing to do with the shutter mechanism.

hanak347
Total Posts: 35

picture of the 1dx...

i think i need to save some money for this bad boy!

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=canon_d30_forum&no=3596522

Stoffer
Total Posts: 565

Canon Ambassador Brutus Ístling had the EOS-1D X for to months. Here is his impressions:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/brutus_ostling_on_the_eos_1d_x.do

He talks about the loss of F8.0 autofocus amongst other things. This might also make a few of you happy:

I am very used to working with eagles and other birds in flight. And yet, despite my experience, I have never managed to get as many sharp images as I have with the EOS-1D X. There are so many that are sharp and so few that are un-sharp.

Enjoy reading

ej1001
Total Posts: 125

The way that I purchase bodies (as an amateur photog.) I can't wait to have this bad boy in.... 10 years or so, when the price is sub $1k.

Stoffer
Total Posts: 565

This also caught my eyes:

Quite often I set the 1st image priority to release priority, with focus priority for the second and subsequent images. Despite not giving priority to focus for the first image, the system seems so quick that most of the time the first image is sharp anyway!

1       2       3              6      
       8       end