NEX Discussion Thread
/forum/topic/1093140/4

1       2       3       4      
       6              42       43       end

sebboh
Total Posts: 10055

douglasf13 wrote:
That's interesting. So you essentially skip raw import sharpening?

yup, using specific actions in photoshop for various sizes seems to work better than having some sharpening previously applied in lightroom to all images independent on final output size.

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 291

douglasf13 wrote:
sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
Jacob D wrote:
Here's a link to a Cornerfix thread I started some time back, may be useful, or not.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1083658/0#10336880

I'd like to know what sort of Lightroom sharpening recipe 5N owners are using? For general landscape-ish scenes I've been using something alone the lines of: 50 / .5 / 100 / 15

I tend to use 25/.5/100/0 for my baseline to start with, and I leave luminance NR at zero (usually.)

i do zero sharpening at export from lightroom. sharpening comes later when i decide on output size and format (web/print) and i do that in photoshop.

The sharpening option in the Detail panel in LR is import sharpening, which generally remains consistent, regardless of output size. It's basically there to counteract the AA filter, and setting the detail slider to 100 gives deconvolution sharpening. Output sharpening is available in the export panel, and it is dependent on size/format.

What is deconvolution sharpening?

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5899

Here is some tech info about it that explains it better than I'm capable of. It's a popular method for input sharpening, in which you're counteracting the effects of the AA filter. link

Alan Ness
Total Posts: 711

Phillip
Your photos are utterly fantastic, you are a master with the NEX.

Alan

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5555

Thanks to FMer zapatista, I got to hold a 7 this afternoon. As far as the body goes, it's perfect. Just the fact that I don't have to deal with the tiny little dial to change shutter speed is enough, but it is also significantly more comfortable in my hand. There also feels like there's something different about the viewfinder compared to the modular EVF. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'll have to compare them side-by-side, which, thanks to FMer weeks82, I should be able to do soon.

If the sensor's as good up to ISO 1600 (or at least close) there will soon be a low-milage 5N and EVF on the boards.

tomrock
Total Posts: 1994

sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

yup, using specific actions in photoshop for various sizes seems to work better than having some sharpening previously applied in lightroom to all images independent on final output size.

Adobe actually licensed code from Pixel Genius that sharpens appropriately based on size and output destination. It's a long story but it's based on work by Bruce Fraser who wrote the book on sharpening.

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 291

douglasf13 wrote:
Here is some tech info about it that explains it better than I'm capable of. It's a popular method for input sharpening, in which you're counteracting the effects of the AA filter. link

Thanks!

sebboh

tomrock wrote:
sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

Adobe actually licensed code from Pixel Genius that sharpens appropriately based on size and output destination. It's a long story but it's based on work by Bruce Fraser who wrote the book on sharpening.

you mean the output sharpening when you export from lightroom?

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

My original query about sharpening was to do with so called "import sharpening" in the develop panel.

I have also read somewhere that the LR export sharpening takes output method and size into consideration. I have not done a ton of printing from LR, but I have heard from a few more experienced people that it does a pretty good job at print sharpening. My own attempts at print sharpening have always been trial and error, vexing topic for me. There is always so much to learn.

I also have some PS actions for web sharpening and output to various sizes. I believe I Learned them here, mine are slightly different flavor, but anyway I don't use them much since it's more convenient just to skip PS.

tomrock
Total Posts: 1994

sebboh wrote:
tomrock wrote:
sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

you mean the output sharpening when you export from lightroom?

Yes. In a nutshell, Bruce's theory of sharpening is that it is a 3-step process. The first step in capture sharpening which removes the effect of the AA filter. The 2nd step is creative sharpening which LR doesn't do too much of. And the 3rd step is output sharpening.

The first and third steps are what Adobe bought code for from Pixel Genius.

douglasf13

Yeah, I don't usually do any creative sharpening, and LR does allow it, but it is limited. I'm relatively satisfied with LR doing steps 1 and 3, though. I actually don't use PS at all, anymore, unless I maybe need to do some skin retouching.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3437

apple camera raw now supports nex-7 and nex-vg20

corposant
Total Posts: 2775

Maybe this should be a poll, but how many NEX users ever print their images, vs just displaying them on the web?

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

I'm getting ready to print a handful. Just received a big order of paper from Red River.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3437

I print and make books via aperture.

douglasf13

corposant wrote:
Maybe this should be a poll, but how many NEX users ever print their images, vs just displaying them on the web?

Oddly, I print with my Epson more than I display on the web. I've got kind of a revolving set of 15-20 frames in my house from 8x10 to 13x19 that I try to switch pictures in and out of every so often, and I also print a ton of little 4x6s. Hilariously, I haven't updated my photo website in several years, and I rarely upload anything to flickr or photo forums. Go figure!

I'd like to start playing with printing books via Lightroom 4.

sebboh

i mostly just display photos on screen. i print, but very irregularly and usually have a lab do it for me. i don't have much wall space and any print sales are purely accidental. i do plan on testing out LR4s softproofing and sharpening for print shortly.

Makten
Total Posts: 4042

corposant wrote:

I never print photos, regardless of what camera was used. I just don't see the point of having images displayed on paper if they are not world class, which of course is not the case with mine or 99.999% of any other photographers work.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5555

I print, mostly because I spend enough time staring at a friggin' screens.

Anyone heard anything about the Sigma 30 that's coming out? Nice price point, but Siggy is so hit-and-miss on their lenses.

douglasf13

sebboh wrote:
i mostly just display photos on screen. i print, but very irregularly and usually have a lab do it for me. i don't have much wall space and any print sales are purely accidental. i do plan on testing out LR4s softproofing and sharpening for print shortly.

Softproofing is the big feature in LR4, to me, and it seems pretty good, so far. Even if ya don't have a lot of wall space, B&H has these great, relatively inexpensive photo portfolios/albums that are great for holding a bunch of big prints for review.

1       2       3       4      
       6              42       43       end