NEX Discussion Thread
/forum/topic/1093140/39

1       2       3              39      
       41       42       43       end

sebboh
Total Posts: 9688

802walker wrote:
At equal focal lengths...is the sigma lightyears beyond the kits lens in terms of IQ and Sharpness?

yes.

MackDaddy1962
Total Posts: 778

I opted for the NEX-6 kit with 16-50 power zoom 802walker, if for nothing else the versatility it brings for the added $150 over the body only price. As far as I'm concerned that's a steal for the lens. Don't get me wrong, it's not stellar by any means, but it provides a great "small package, walk about" combo for the $$$.

Something to think about....

Jim

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5244

802walker wrote:
At equal focal lengths...is the sigma lightyears beyond the kits lens in terms of IQ and Sharpness?

I don't think so. Like most kit zooms, the Sony's on its best behavior in the middle of the range, and you get OSS. The Siggy's faster and certainly no worse than the kit, but I didn't see it as appreciably better. The 19 may be a different story. I haven't used it, but the samples I've seen look better edge-to-edge than the kit at the same focal length.

sebboh

freaklikeme wrote:
802walker wrote:

I don't think so. Like most kit zooms, the Sony's on its best behavior in the middle of the range, and you get OSS. The Siggy's faster and certainly no worse than the kit, but I didn't see it as appreciably better. The 19 may be a different story. I haven't used it, but the samples I've seen look better edge-to-edge than the kit at the same focal length.

it didn't seem to me like the kit lens catches up in the corners to the sigma till f/8 or f/11.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5244

sebboh wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
802walker wrote:

it didn't seem to me like the kit lens catches up in the corners to the sigma till f/8 or f/11.

I didn't do a side-by-side, so you're probably right, but I didn't find the kit to be all that bad in the corners in the first place. Not at 30mm, anyway. Personally, I preferred the OOC colors on the kit. Not anywhere near Minolta colors, but nicely balanced with a good amount of contrast.

Rene Le
Total Posts: 6

Hi you all

just a quick little question, do you think it worth it to upgrade from my Nex 5N to 5R or 6? when I'm only using
MF lenses, i have EVF for my 5N.

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1026

Rene Le wrote:
Hi you all

just a quick little question, do you think it worth it to upgrade from my Nex 5N to 5R or 6? when I'm only using
MF lenses, i have EVF for my 5N.

Quick answer is no.

You're using MF lenses, so the PDAF autofocus on the 5R or 6 won't benefit you. Unless you want WiFi or some of the available apps for some reason, I'm not sure what feature the 5R or 6 has that would motivate you to replace the 5N.

uscmatt99
Total Posts: 315

I went from a Ricoh GXR with clip-on EVF to the NEX-6. I'm keeping both, as each has strengths and weaknesses. I greatly prefer the built-in EVF to the Ricoh version for 2 reasons: I'm a right eyed shooter and this keeps my nose off of the LCD, and is just more comfortable to use this way; the clip-on EVF constantly snags and can dislodge a little bit, while the NEX-6 slides easily in and out of the bag.

I've found myself using the WiFi more than I thought I would. It's cludgy for sure, but convenient for uploading pics to social media sites if you do that sort of thing.

Rene Le

Jeff Koot

Thank you, the wifi i got covered by an eye-fi card, and the less apps and menu's, the better for me
Would just make sure that the image quality is still un par.

Jeff Kott

According to DXO, the sensor in the 5N performs slightly better than the one in the 5R and 6. People have speculated that it's basically the same sensor technology, but the slight advantage to the 5N may be because the 5R/6 sensor utilizes some of the pixels for the PDAF focusing.

FYI, I have a 5N and a 7 and there's no way I'm getting rid of my 5N. I love the size and the fact that it works so well with wide angle lenses. Taking into account the low price that you would get selling it used, hanging onto it is a no brainer for me. The other thing is it's so small and easy to pack that I feel it's always good to have a back up body on long trips where I'm primarily using my 7.

Rene Le

Yes I agree that it's perfect for small packing and I love for that reason to, also I have the RRS L-plate, EVF etc. etc.
So I'll save the money for some good glass instead, have thought about some Leica, either a 24mm wide-angle or a 50mm, have you any suggestions?

Jeff Kott

Rene Le wrote:
Yes I agree that it's perfect for small packing and I love for that reason to, also I have the RRS L-plate, EVF etc. etc.
So I'll save the money for some good glass instead, have thought about some Leica, either a 24mm wide-angle or a 50mm, have you any suggestions?

I absolutely love my 28 Cron on the Nex 5N. I find 28mm to be a great "normal" focal length on APS-C sized sensors - much better than using a 35. I think the 28 Cron is a very special lens. Snowboarder (Andrew) has taken some outstanding landscape photos using the 5N and 28 Cron which are buried in the NEX image thread.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3343

Any experience with the 1500 mah aftermarket batteries for the nex-7? I'm going off grid for 5 days and need some back up power.

Taylor Sherman
Total Posts: 992

The 28 Elmarit-M ASPH is also great on the 5N - it's about a grand cheaper than the 28 Cron. Obviously it's one stop slower, but I think it has very nearly the same quality as the Cron. Also, it's even smaller (especially the hood - when are Leica going to replace that clunky hood on the Cron?). Only 180g!

I'm not sure about the 24 Elmarit, it looks kinda large and doesn't have the same apparent quality (looking at the MTF chart) as the 28s do. Also it's out of production. I think the 24 Elmar would be the way to go there, but now you're at f/3.8.

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 833

Bag question:

I'm currently shooting out of a Domke F5XB - I find it to be perfect. However, I'm carrying a little more than it allows. It currently fits a 5N, CV15, Sigma 19, G28, G45, Rokkor 58, Tokina 90 + accessories. However, it's tight.

I'd like to find a bag that's a step up in size from it. I'm looking at a Domke F6, Crumpler 6MDH or a Thinktank Pinestone 20.

Any other recommendations?

While I'm at it, I've got a Tamrac Adventure 74 bag. I consider it to be the perfect hiking bag for SLR + 3-4 Lenses and a tripod. However, it's massive with my NEX kit.

Could anyone recommend a smaller bag to carry NEX + 3 lenses + accessories + travel tripod? The Lowepro Sport 10L looks nice. Wish I'd have gotten one from this weekends sale.

Thanks!

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 290

plasticmotif wrote:
Bag question:

I'm currently shooting out of a Domke F5XB - I find it to be perfect. However, I'm carrying a little more than it allows. It currently fits a 5N, CV15, Sigma 19, G28, G45, Rokkor 58, Tokina 90 + accessories. However, it's tight.

I'd like to find a bag that's a step up in size from it. I'm looking at a Domke F6, Crumpler 6MDH or a Thinktank Pinestone 20.

Any other recommendations?

While I'm at it, I've got a Tamrac Adventure 74 bag. I consider it to be the perfect hiking bag for SLR + 3-4 Lenses and a tripod. However, it's massive with my NEX kit.

Could anyone recommend a smaller bag to carry NEX + 3 lenses + accessories + travel tripod? The Lowepro Sport 10L looks nice. Wish I'd have gotten one from this weekends sale.

Thanks!

I'm using the Domke f-803, which I'm partial to.

mawz
Total Posts: 7287

The 6MDH should work well, I used a 5MDH for the NEX-7 with the ZA24, Nikkor 50/1.8+adapter and Sony 85/2.8 and adapter, which is likely just a bit smaller than your kit. The 5MDH was just a little tight.

The same kit swam in my 7MDH, but I will note my 7MDH is the old design and not the new one (they hold similar volume, but the new design is optimized for an SLR + 3 large lenses vs an SLR and 5 mid-size lenses which the old design was configured to hold).

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 833

I just got a 6MDH for cheap on PotN.

I'll try it out. Need to sort my backpack before I got traveling this year!

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3343

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/04/leica-35mm-summicron-autofocus-on-nex-6.html

Leica M autofocus adapter

sebboh

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/04/leica-35mm-summicron-autofocus-on-nex-6.html

Leica M autofocus adapter

boo!

why ruin a perfectly good manual focus lens.

1       2       3              39      
       41       42       43       end