NEX Discussion Thread
/forum/topic/1093140/37

1       2       3              37      
       39              42       43       end

partitura
Total Posts: 311

I am going along with an arts organization on a European tour in a non-photographic capacity, and the group has asked me to also be the official tour photographer. I will be shooting mainly post-performance gatherings, as well as taking publicity shots, some backstage images, etc.

I am trying to decide if my Nex-7 is the appropriate camera for this. I would need to buy or rent a 16-80 zoom I think, and use the LA-EA 2 adapter, because I won't be able to shoot in a leisurely manner at these events, and need at least relatively fast autofocus.

On the other hand, I could take my Nikon D600 which of course is a great camera for this, but again, I would need to buy (or rent) a zoom lens for it. I just hate the weight of the Nikon, though. I am definitely taking the Nex, anyway.

Is taking two cameras a good idea? (ugh, the weight....)

Taking the Nex alone has the advantage of lighter weight. The Sony/Zeiss 16-80 doesn't have stabilization on the Nex, though.
Nikon advantage is faster AF, and I could get a zoom lens with stabilization. With the Nikon it is harder to be unobtrusive.

Hmm, have to buy a flash, too.

I'd like to hear suggestions/thoughts from anyone.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2485

If you are thinking about zoom, so i guess you are not into shallow DOF stuff anyway, then why not Sony NEX zoom lens like 16-50, 18-55? They should be fine for take general stuff and adult portrait. A external flash for indoor, maybe, though i never use it and don't know how to effectively use it on NEX?
Unless you think 55-80 coverage is must, but you have 24M, crop should fine

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1270

This summer i photographed an event using a nex-7, 18-55, external flash and some manual lenses.
It was a pain in the ass and the resultaing pictures werent good! When i did the same job the year before i used a 550d with kitlens and flash and results were much better.
The main reason was the lousy AF, so i would strongly advise against the use of e-mount lenses.
I think i would choose the d600, it is more responsive and will operate better with flash, the Nex-7 with an external flash doesn't balance well.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2485

I feel it really depend on the nature of the event. If it has lots of young guy and lot of dynamic,NEX will fail but might not be an issue for OP.
I took kit lens with me during trip to china and to the beach here at the time I still have NEX, doesn't feel it is that sloppy. I don't miss lots of shots. But it could be from my habit to using manual lens chasing my kids that know a thing or two to predict their movement and the timing of doing so

I am surprised to see how people can feel differently about the same thing

WeiQ
Total Posts: 13

Keep in mind that from the standpoint of many average people, the bigger your DSLR and the larger and more obtrusive looking your lens is, the more professional you appear.

mawz
Total Posts: 7282

Don't assume the D600+Zoom will have better AF than the NEX-7 and LA-EA2, AF performance should be comparable overall and the NEX/LA-EA2 whould be faster on the centre point.

I'd take the 16-50 over the 16-80, it's better optically and mechanically, only marginally heavier and AF's faster and quieter. You give up a little reach, but that's just a good reason to track down a cheap 85/2.8 SAM to cover the difference.

I've done some event work with the NEX-7, 16-50 and LA-EA1 (so slow AF or MF) with few issues. I rather miss that lens (sold it over the summer during a significant cash pinch, just waiting to see what the Zeiss E mount zoom is before deciding on re-acquisition as I'd like to avoid DT lenses as much as possible and keep my A mount investment full-frame).

flashinm
Total Posts: 373

What's the best option for a release for the NEX 7. I didn't realize it doesn't have a port for a cable release. Anyone using a remote wireless remote?

mawz
Total Posts: 7282

flashinm wrote:
What's the best option for a release for the NEX 7. I didn't realize it doesn't have a port for a cable release. Anyone using a remote wireless remote?

The Sony IR release is it (or a knock-off). This is one of the most frustrating aspects of the NEX-7, and thankfully one that has been resolved with the 5R and 6 (assuming you have an Android or iPhone) via the PlayMemories app which has remote release functionality.

flashinm
Total Posts: 373

Thanks, just picked up an Opteka for $7 on Amazon. Does it have to be aimed at the front of the camera?

sebboh
Total Posts: 9666

flashinm wrote:
Thanks, just picked up an Opteka for $7 on Amazon. Does it have to be aimed at the front of the camera?

yes.

partitura
Total Posts: 311

WeiQ wrote:
Keep in mind that from the standpoint of many average people, the bigger your DSLR and the larger and more obtrusive looking your lens is, the more professional you appear.

Yeah, very sad, but probably quite true.

alwang
Total Posts: 963

Wow, this new NEX-3N is stupidly small. With the 16-50 or the new 20/2.8 pancake, it's barely any larger than the RX-100, and about the same price.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3334

They went back to the c3 form factor.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/02/sony-nex-3n-camera-with-powerzoom-lever.html

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5231

I hadn't seen it before, Al, so I had to look it up. Gizmodo has a photo up. Looks like the NEX version of the EP Mini.

sebboh
Total Posts: 9666

sweet! that's what i'm like to see for my backup/wideangle camera.

DamonJoyce
Total Posts: 235

SAR has a photo of the Contax G / E-mount adapter on their site:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/contax-g-to-nex-successfully-developed/

morpheus2891
Total Posts: 800

yea Ive been checking ebay every day... not for sale yet

DamonJoyce wrote:
SAR has a photo of the Contax G / E-mount adapter on their site:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/contax-g-to-nex-successfully-developed/

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 833

^^^^

Awesome. Thanks.

lumis beans
Total Posts: 177

Can someone speculate on how the G lenses might work with a future FF NEX--- the 28mm and up, at least?

DamonJoyce
Total Posts: 235

Also, they announced the RM-VPR1 wired remote for NEX cameras with the multishoe. It looks like it uses usb... I wonder if it's actually sending digital codes, or just open/close connection on two wires.

1       2       3              37      
       39              42       43       end