NEX Discussion Thread
/forum/topic/1093140/36

1       2       3              36      
       38              42       43       end

carstenw
Total Posts: 15048

Have you tried it? There is a difference. I spent some time with one in the store. I am not sure what they have done, but it is better than the old version.

ulrikft2
Total Posts: 2091

I have tried side by side, can't say that I noticed a difference. Sure it isn't placebo or a nex-7 with old firmware or something?

carstenw

What Am I delirious? I will have to go back and verify. At least the refresh rate ought to be somewhat higher. Maybe I was just in a good mood or something :/ When did the firmware for the NEX-7 change?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10017

carstenw wrote:
What Am I delirious? I will have to go back and verify. At least the refresh rate ought to be somewhat higher. Maybe I was just in a good mood or something :/ When did the firmware for the NEX-7 change?

they both are listed as having the same refresh rate on the specs i've seen (though sony seems to be doing a poor job of reporting evf specs and many reviewers seem to been told different things). daniel (thrice) worked at sony until recently (though i'm not sure in what capacity?), and said that they were definitely different. my guess is that they are the same basic electronics but tuned differently so to speak different image processing path from sensor to evf output. most people seem to agree that the default evf display settings are at least different. it's important to note that different sensor characteristics will result in different evf performance. i hope sony has improved the optics in the 6's evf, but i have my doubts. i have not actually gotten a chance to play with one yet.

regarding the cameras 6 versus 7 the 6 has better corner performance with rangefinder wides (less smearing and purple fringing), a mode dial (you need to hit a single button to bring up the virtual mode dial on the 7), hybrid autofocus (not sure how much real world difference this produces), better high iso performance at the pixel level (at equal print sizes it may be a wash?), and wifi capability with the availability to download apps (only from sony currently). the 7 has superior build (all metal body, rubber grip), higher pixel count (possibly higher per pixel sharpness as well), more control dials (all three can be active in the majority of shoot modes, whereas the 6 has only 2 and in most modes only one is functional), higher dynamic range (according to dxo, not sure to what degree it is actually noticeable), and is stuck with the old minolta hotshoe while the 6 has the standard one.

i'm sure there are more differences but those are the ones i've been interested in.

carstenw

I suppose that it is possible in theory that the NEX-6 and NEX-7 display technology is the same, but then why would they have better default settings on the NEX-6? Makes no sense, especially since the NEX-7 is still the higher-end product. Anyway, my impression of the NEX-7 EVF was that I slightly preferred the Olympus VF-2. My impression of the NEX-6 EVF was that I preferred it to the VF-2.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10017

carstenw wrote:
I suppose that it is possible in theory that the NEX-6 and NEX-7 display technology is the same, but then why would they have better default settings on the NEX-6? Makes no sense, especially since the NEX-7 is still the higher-end product. Anyway, my impression of the NEX-7 EVF was that I slightly preferred the Olympus VF-2. My impression of the NEX-6 EVF was that I preferred it to the VF-2.

the obvious answer to me is because they realized after the fact that they chose awful default settings for the 7. the 7's evf is an order of magnitude better after you take it off the default settings (the default settings might be pretty good in a studio setting though?).

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1109

alba63 wrote:

The Nex viewfinder does not rival a good optical one, but it is very useable and gets the job done.

I feel the NEX EVF is superior to a good optical finder in several important ways (magnified view, focus peaking and in viewfinder live histogram).

Hawkan
Total Posts: 175

Thank you all. I will stroll by the local camera store and see if they have both the NEX-6 and the NEX-7 to try to make up my mind. The 5N viewfinder, as far as I know identical to the one built into the 7, works well but it is no great performer in less than optimal light. Refresh rate becomes ridiculously low and it gets really noisy in low light.

carstenw wrote:
What happened to your 5N?

My 5N was lost, probably broken and finally stolen (or "taken care of"):

I was holding the camera in my hand as I walked my kids to a public parking garage. To help the kids get in the car (one kid of four years and a two-year-old) I put it on top of the car and drove home. Two hours later I realized my mistake, went back there and walked along the streets all the way home with no sight of the camera.

I thought of my NEX as my "second camera" until recently when I realized that it is the camera that I use to take an overwhelming majority of the pictures I come home with. Since I got it, it's been with me every day. In my pocket or in my bag, it's there and it takes a beating and delivers great quality images.

alwang
Total Posts: 1007

Article by Ming Thein on removing the UV, IR, and AA filters from a NEX-5:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/01/06/the-multispectral-nex/

Interesting read, but I don't know why after all the effort to do this mod, he didn't take at least one before/after photo. The b&w shots look nice, but it's hard to say that it's any different tonally than what I can get from an unmodified NEX-5N. Also, it would have been interesting to see if there really was any difference in resolution at the center with the AA removed (he already stated that resolution on the edges was worse)

DamonJoyce
Total Posts: 239

I've switched to the 6, but anyone with the 5 series might want to look at these triggers:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2-4-GHz-Next-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-For-Sony-NEX-Series-Works-with-NEX-5C-and/715476_670540805.html

Reagan
Total Posts: 2855

My first post on this thread and since you all are experienced Nex shooters
I would like to ask a couple of questions
I went to a Sony Store today and played with the NEX 6 and 7 and coming from a Nikon D700 I was a little uncomfortable looking through the EVF viewfinders Does it take some getting used to? It was in the store but I had trouble telling what was in focus and what wasn't Also the salesclerk said that every time you format the card it restarts the numbering sequence for the photos
With Nikon I am able to use continuous numbering and can tell total shutter count of the camera
Just a little confused but I worry a little whether I can get used to the EVF
Thanks in advance for any reply

Reagan

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 291

Well, magnifying the image helps a lot. So does focus peaking....

philber
Total Posts: 7342

I don't understand this "numbering" statement from the salesman. My NEX pics go up to 9.999 and then start over.
Regarding the EVF, it is a different animal from a DSLR OVF, so it is not used the same way IMHO. With the Sony EVF you get focus peaking and magnification. They let you check critical focus to a greater degree than any EVF. That said, is it as pleasant as an EVF? Most people would say no, I guess. Just as many NEX shooters use the LCD more often than the EVF. Just find which use is best for you, rather than purely attempt to transpose DSLR shooting to NEX, is my suggestion. In my case, I prefer to use my NEX at waist level with the LCD tilted up which I look down into, but that's just me...
Hope this helps, and have fun!

carstenw

carstenw wrote:

I went back to the Sony store and specifically tested the NEX-6 and NEX-7 viewfinders side by side, and the NEX-6 EVF is significantly better, primarily because it has a much higher refresh rate. The NEX-7 EVF couldn't keep up with people's legs while walking, and had a kind of strobe effect (not much light may have exacerbated this). The NEX-6 was fluid.

LightShow
Total Posts: 4887

Reagan, there is a setting that sets file numbering to continuous till 99999 or restarts it. I leave it on continuous, and import by date.

Re: EVF, I found my 7's to be very close to what my 1DIII's OVF gave me, it only lacked dynamic range and resolution was somewhat less, but gave me magnification, peaking, histogram, level, and the ability to review pictures in bright conditions that typically wash out the lcd, which are all helpful to the process of taking accurately focused pictures, the minuses effected comfort not shooting ability, so they don't bother me much at all, I found the refresh rate to be fast enough that it wasn't annoying, unlike the Samsung NX's(no experience with the 200 or newer cameras.) which had lag.

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 291

I found that it was pretty nice to have a viewfinder that would show me an approximate exposure, especially in low light conditions.

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1109

If anyone's interested, here's a 35/1.8 oss review. The lens seems to perform very well at infinity focus.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com/2013/01/12/lens-review-sony-35mm-f1-8-oss/

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3430

Sigma 19mm and 30mm for $199 at b&h
http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/01/sigma-19mm-and-30mm-two-for-one-deal.html

Luta13
Total Posts: 224

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Sigma 19mm and 30mm for $199 at b&h
http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/01/sigma-19mm-and-30mm-two-for-one-deal.html

Thanks so much for that! I bought both these when they came out at $200 a piece. I used them for a while and sold them both in mid $150 area and went to all older manual-focus lenses.

As I looked back at some pictures taken with my NEX-7 through 2012, I noticed most of my best shots came from those Sigma lenses. They are great lenses on a NEX system. I just put my order in for that deal (they are back-ordered currently but I'm patient). I will be happy to have those great lenses back.

If any of you don't own the Sigma pair, I highly recommend them for value/performance.

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1217

Yes, me to! I have them both and they are very good. No need for the Sony 18 and the Sony Zeiss 24

1       2       3              36      
       38              42       43       end