NEX Discussion Thread
/forum/topic/1093140/33

1       2       3              33      
34
       35              42       43       end

Jeff Kott
Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Total Posts: 1598
Country: United States

jonrock wrote:


It looks decent though I'm curious to see how it compares to the Zeiss 32mm f1.8 that's supposed to come out later on in 2013.


Yep, I'm waiting to see how this one performs too. It doesn't seem like much, but I actually will prefer the 32mm FOV to the 35. I do notice a difference in framing between my Pentax 31/1.8 and my CV 35/1.2.



alwang
Registered: Sep 02, 2011
Total Posts: 1124
Country: United States

Yeah, I'm pretty torn. If the Zeiss lens is going to cost twice as much, not have OSS, and potentially not be supported by the on-sensor PDAF, it's going to have to be spectacular quality-wise. On the other hand, while there are no obvious flaws in these samples from the Sony 35/1.8, I can't say the rendering is particularly speaking to me either. It doesn't seem to have much 3D pop.



xbarcelo
Registered: Nov 04, 2010
Total Posts: 660
Country: Spain

I'm sort of wishfully hoping that the Contax G autofocus adapter will allow me to use the Planar 35/2 instead of any of those two as an autofocus lens… Here's hope!



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12605
Country: United States

xbarcelo wrote:
I'm sort of wishfully hoping that the Contax G autofocus adapter will allow me to use the Planar 35/2 instead of any of those two as an autofocus lens… Here's hope!


while i do really like the look of the g35 from f/4 to f/11, i'm sure the new sony and zeiss will be sharper everywhere.



xbarcelo
Registered: Nov 04, 2010
Total Posts: 660
Country: Spain

I don't doubt it, but when I want sharp, I'll use the Contax G 28 2,8…



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12605
Country: United States

xbarcelo wrote:
I don't doubt it, but when I want sharp, I'll use the Contax G 28 2,8…


fair enough, i just prefer the g28 in all regards including focal length and don't really like the way the g35 looks wide open in most situations. everybody has their preferences.



xbarcelo
Registered: Nov 04, 2010
Total Posts: 660
Country: Spain

Indeed. I'm quite the opposite. I'm not sure why, but I prefer how the planar draws… I know I'm in the minority here, because it seems that everybody else swears by the 28.



Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2779
Country: Japan

Anyone had chance to play with NEX-6 extensively? It actually just landed in the shops here in Japan and I had a fiddle around with one. Sadly, I didn't have any adapted lenses with me so the test was pretty much pointless...:/



mortyb
Registered: Feb 15, 2009
Total Posts: 1500
Country: Norway

Nevermind.



Phillip Reeve
Registered: Sep 17, 2011
Total Posts: 2271
Country: Germany

Krosavcheg wrote:
Anyone had chance to play with NEX-6 extensively? It actually just landed in the shops here in Japan and I had a fiddle around with one. Sadly, I didn't have any adapted lenses with me so the test was pretty much pointless...:/

mine should arrive at the end of the month, if you have any special questions just ask and i will try to answear them as fast as possible.

Phillip



Adam211
Registered: Nov 01, 2003
Total Posts: 498
Country: United States

Krosavcheg wrote:
Anyone had chance to play with NEX-6 extensively? It actually just landed in the shops here in Japan and I had a fiddle around with one. Sadly, I didn't have any adapted lenses with me so the test was pretty much pointless...:/


I own one, but haven't had a NEX before, so my comments might be more for NEX cameras in general.

Compared to my 300D though, it's amazing. Main complaint is lack of control over the dials. Also, the grip is good but not great, but I can't imagine it's much different than some of the other NEX grips. It feels ungainly and uncomfortable with a Rokkor 58/1.2 but heavenly with a G 45, probably like the other NEXes.

Haven't used wireless yet (haven't had a need to) but I suppose today or sometime I'll start playing around with that. Images look fantastic, but when shooting on a cloudy day on default metering all my images are 1-2 stops underexposed. I do prefer that to the opposite problem. Also, there's still noise at ISO 100 even when properly exposed.

Other than that, it's a pleasure to use and feels great dangling from my neck. Not much to say about it really. It does everything I want a camera to do and does it in a small package. I though the EVF would annoy me but I love it. Not as good as, say, an OM-1 viewfinder, but far, far better than the Rebel optical viewfinders.

Also, I will say, I never thought I wanted a touchscreen, and the NEX interface is actually pretty clean and does well without one, but it would be even better with a touchscreen. I wish it had one.



uhoh7
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 4214
Country: N/A

Anyone see a decent review of the SEL1018?

Shipping now, I guess

225 grams I'm drooling



woodrim
Registered: Nov 03, 2011
Total Posts: 96
Country: United States

uhoh7, where ya been? Haven't seen you over at MF Lenses in a while.

I finally purhased a NEX-5N a few months back to use exclusively with MF lenses. I expected good performance, but what has really amazed me is how that camera has given new life to some of my lenses. Actually, I believe all of my lenses perform better, but the biggest surprice was the performance of my Vivitar Series 1 lenses, which previously exhibited lots of CA and were very soft at full aperture. I'm not able to shoot they at fully open with great sharpness and rarely need to correct for CA. These two recent shots were both taken with my Series 1 135/2.3 fully open with no post camera CA correction:





Krosavcheg
Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Total Posts: 2779
Country: Japan

Philip, Adam..thank you very much!
I am interested in dynamic range, IQ and high ISO performances mainly. If I ever take a plunge to get one I will probably stick it on full manual and be done with it...
Menus are indeed fiddly, but I think it's acceptable. Planning to have it as a travel camera and for street photography mainly.



uhoh7
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 4214
Country: N/A

woodrim wrote:
uhoh7, where ya been? Haven't seen you over at MF Lenses in a while.

I finally purhased a NEX-5N a few months back to use exclusively with MF lenses. I expected good performance, but what has really amazed me is how that camera has given new life to some of my lenses. Actually, I believe all of my lenses perform better, but the biggest surprice was the performance of my Vivitar Series 1 lenses, which previously exhibited lots of CA and were very soft at full aperture. I'm not able to shoot they at fully open with great sharpness and rarely need to correct for CA. These two recent shots were both taken with my Series 1 135/2.3 fully open with no post camera CA correction:


Wonderful shots. I became too controversial over there that's ok no hard feelings here, I'm often too plain spoken. I learned a tremendous bunch and loved the place. Once I declared Leica glass really was fantastic, well...that is not the place for such opinion. Then you are comparing 1024s on god knows what monitors, so it gets silly.

Glad you are enjoying the nex, I hope we will have a full frame version besides the vg900 soon.



Adam211
Registered: Nov 01, 2003
Total Posts: 498
Country: United States

Krosavcheg wrote:
Philip, Adam..thank you very much!
I am interested in dynamic range, IQ and high ISO performances mainly. If I ever take a plunge to get one I will probably stick it on full manual and be done with it...
Menus are indeed fiddly, but I think it's acceptable. Planning to have it as a travel camera and for street photography mainly.


I can only compare with my 300D. Still, the images respond quite well to pushing and pulling. There is noise at base ISO, but not beyond what might be expected.

Dynamic range: Again, can't compare to other NEXes. But it's beyond what my 300D could handle. It's probably very comparable to the other NEXes, from what I've seen. Skies still get patchy when overexposed in high contrast scenes, but for me it handles them better than my old Rebel. I'd happily accept an improvement in this area, but I assume it is at least as good as most other APS-Cs.

Image quality: No complaints. I've only shot in mostly overcast conditions, but so far (converting to DNG to use in LR3) I've been pleased with the colors. That was a concern of mine when buying a NEX but so far I've found the raw files easy to work with to get what you want.

I haven't shot at anything above ISO 1600 (which I found good), but the viewfinder gets significantly less pleasant in low-lighting situations.



jonrock
Registered: Jan 03, 2012
Total Posts: 557
Country: United States

uhoh7 wrote:
Anyone see a decent review of the SEL1018?

Shipping now, I guess

225 grams I'm drooling


Nothing decent, I've only seen a user posting samples on dpreview and the first review that's a bit brief on amazon.com.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3340412
http://www.amazon.com/review/RGYFP304FG7HR/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0096W1ONK&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful



briantho
Registered: Oct 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1122
Country: Sweden

A question on flashes... I don't use flash often, but this time of year it gets dark really quick, and I don't like to use high ISO. I am no fan of the "straight on flash" look, so I was planning on buying the Sony HVL-F20AM, because it can be tilted. I don't need a monster flash, this is only for close portraits etc.

However, now that I've played with the NEX-7, and discovered that the on board flash can actually be tilted up to be bounced off the ceiling or even tilted to be bounced off myself, I'm not sure I need it.

I did some quick tests, and using Aperture mode/Auto ISO in a poorly lit room to take photos of people or items, and tilting the flash up or towards myself actually produces pretty amazing results. ISO never moves above 800, it's mostly around 400, and the expsure is perfect, just the way I want it, without the obvious flash look, yet the subject is well lit, with balanced background and sorroundings.

Anyone else experimented with the onboard flash this way?



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12605
Country: United States

briantho wrote:
A question on flashes... I don't use flash often, but this time of year it gets dark really quick, and I don't like to use high ISO. I am no fan of the "straight on flash" look, so I was planning on buying the Sony HVL-F20AM, because it can be tilted. I don't need a monster flash, this is only for close portraits etc.

However, now that I've played with the NEX-7, and discovered that the on board flash can actually be tilted up to be bounced off the ceiling or even tilted to be bounced off myself, I'm not sure I need it.

I did some quick tests, and using Aperture mode/Auto ISO in a poorly lit room to take photos of people or items, and tilting the flash up or towards myself actually produces pretty amazing results. ISO never moves above 800, it's mostly around 400, and the expsure is perfect, just the way I want it, without the obvious flash look, yet the subject is well lit, with balanced background and sorroundings.

Anyone else experimented with the onboard flash this way?


yup, that's the only way I'll use a flash. doesn't really work as well outside though.



TMaG82
Registered: Aug 31, 2012
Total Posts: 1763
Country: United States

briantho wrote:
A question on flashes... I don't use flash often, but this time of year it gets dark really quick, and I don't like to use high ISO. I am no fan of the "straight on flash" look, so I was planning on buying the Sony HVL-F20AM, because it can be tilted. I don't need a monster flash, this is only for close portraits etc.

However, now that I've played with the NEX-7, and discovered that the on board flash can actually be tilted up to be bounced off the ceiling or even tilted to be bounced off myself, I'm not sure I need it.

I did some quick tests, and using Aperture mode/Auto ISO in a poorly lit room to take photos of people or items, and tilting the flash up or towards myself actually produces pretty amazing results. ISO never moves above 800, it's mostly around 400, and the expsure is perfect, just the way I want it, without the obvious flash look, yet the subject is well lit, with balanced background and sorroundings.

Anyone else experimented with the onboard flash this way?


I do this all the time with the Nex-6. It works surprisingly well. First was taken no flash, second with it tilted upwards. Haven't tried it outside but obviously not expecting great results.



1       2       3              33      
34
       35              42       43       end