NEX Discussion Thread
/forum/topic/1093140/3

1       2       3      
       5              42       43       end

LightShow
Total Posts: 5142

I've been trying to get an accurate cornerfix profile, but everything looks like (rap.
What's your method?
My most accurate method so far(still have to redo again) is to hold a PEC pad over the lens aimed at the sky, with +.7EC
Original(Industar 69)

With CF

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6107

I use a white Kleenex tissue over the lens, focus to infinity, aim into an evenly lit sky and exposure to around +2EV or so. When I use CornerFix, I disable the vignetting correction (by setting Luminance to zero.)

JimBuchanan
Total Posts: 1453

Douglas, do you do any white balance to the Cornerfix dng file before creating a profile?

My dng blanks are not white in the center, but more blue. I was always concerned that Cornerfix would change/degrade the center of the dng, where there was no need.

douglasf13

Nope, I don't believe WB is needed, as CornerFix takes care of it.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5850

So for while I will have both the 5N and the 7 in my possession. I plan to inflict my own comparison shots on you anyway, so I thought I'd give you the opportunity to voice opinions about what, if anything, you'd like to see. I only have one RF lens, a 90 Elmarit, so I'm not sure how much interest there will be, but I thought I'd throw it out there. My gear profile is up-to-date and I can adapt any of the lenses to the NEX.

Of course, if anyone wants to send me their lenses to test, that can be arranged. Top priority will be given to owners of Summicron-M (or R) 90 AAs.

john_edwards
Total Posts: 1907

Question - does anyone have the J-Tec L bracket? I hope it is decent, because I just ordered one. I was using the RRS mini plate, which is OK, but I'd rather have an L.

I have the JTec. It works as it should and as long as your going to be on a tripod its OK. I always left my L plate on my 1ds2 but I never do if I'm hand carrying the NEX with JTec. The corners are not smoothed out the way they are on RRS L plates. Hard to explain but when our arrives you will see.

My problem is the need for a L plate for the EOS-NEX(Metabones) adapter. Sure the Metabones has a tripod hole but alt lenses are not always smaller than the adapter....think Zeiss and bigger Canons such as the 24-70L. I've emailed RRS about this but I don't think they are interested, not enough alt users I guess.

John

mco_970
Total Posts: 5290

freaklikeme wrote:
Sounds like an interesting brand name... Catzass Eye Cups.

I can think of so many jokes about this that I wouldn't dare write!!!

mco_970
Total Posts: 5290

Thanks John! You make a good point about a plate for lenses. I may be able to recycle the RRS mini as a lens plate. Good idea to check on it before I pwn it off in the buy and sell section. I hope that the JTEC isn't too annoying to leave on camera, as that's what I prefer. Kind of gives the camera a bit of protection, too.

john_edwards wrote:
I have the JTec. It works as it should and as long as your going to be on a tripod its OK. I always left my L plate on my 1ds2 but I never do if I'm hand carrying the NEX with JTec. The corners are not smoothed out the way they are on RRS L plates. Hard to explain but when our arrives you will see.

My problem is the need for a L plate for the EOS-NEX(Metabones) adapter. Sure the Metabones has a tripod hole but alt lenses are not always smaller than the adapter....think Zeiss and bigger Canons such as the 24-70L. I've emailed RRS about this but I don't think they are interested, not enough alt users I guess.

John

LightShow

douglasf13 wrote:
I use a white Kleenex tissue over the lens, focus to infinity, aim into an evenly lit sky and exposure to around +2EV or so. When I use CornerFix,

I'm up to +.7 now, I'll have to try a few more steps of EC, and If I can get the sky to look uniform I'll be quite happy.

I disable the vignetting correction (by setting Luminance to zero.)
Is this in camera or in LR?

douglasf13

LightShow wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
I use a white Kleenex tissue over the lens, focus to infinity, aim into an evenly lit sky and exposure to around +2EV or so. When I use CornerFix,

I'm up to +.7 now, I'll have to try a few more steps of EC, and If I can get the sky to look uniform I'll be quite happy.

I disable the vignetting correction (by setting Luminance to zero.)
Is this in camera or in LR?

In CornerFix. I find that allowing CornerFix to fix vignetting doesn't work that well and is too reliant on the aperture used. If I need to fix vignetting, I do it in the raw converter.

LightShow

Thanks, I just found the settings section.

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

Here's a link to a Cornerfix thread I started some time back, may be useful, or not.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1083658/0#10336880

I'd like to know what sort of Lightroom sharpening recipe 5N owners are using? For general landscape-ish scenes I've been using something alone the lines of: 50 / .5 / 100 / 15

sorney1
Total Posts: 102

just bought a C3 with kit 18-55 lens. looking at either the pancake or 50-210 or 18-200. also interested in the Tamron 18-200 or the Sony equivalent. hoping that Sigma makes there 11.1x lens in an E mount as the price is much more favorable than sony or t I have plenty of Nikon mount glass to use 8-16, 18-270, etc but didn't realize that manual focus using the screen would be so "sucky".
sorney1

leemik
Total Posts: 51

I started with a NEX-5 at release. Which got stolen last summer =( .. then I bought a used NEX-5 which got dropped in a puddle of water last Nov. (freak accident) and died...

Now I have a NEX-7.. NEX-7 is a little bit larger and heavier than the 5 but I don't mind it.. it's still pocketable with a compact lens. I do find myself hitting button and dials by accident a lot more with the NEX-7 however..

Lenses for my NEX collected over the past 2 years--chosen mostly because they are compact:

Sony 16mm pancake
Sony 18-55 Zoom
Olympus OM Zuiko 21mm f3.5 with tilt adapter
Zeiss Biogon T* 25/2.8 ZM with Helicoid adapter
Minolta MD 35/1.8
Olympus Pen-f 38/f1.8
Zeiss Planar T* 45/2 Contax G
SMC Takumar 50/1.4
Zeiss Sonnar T* 90/2.8 Contax G

I also have like 30 other lenses from my Canon EOS system

My fav lens so far on the NEX is the Zeiss Planar T* 45/2 Contax G ...

--mike

douglasf13

Jacob D wrote:
Here's a link to a Cornerfix thread I started some time back, may be useful, or not.

I'd like to know what sort of Lightroom sharpening recipe 5N owners are using? For general landscape-ish scenes I've been using something alone the lines of: 50 / .5 / 100 / 15

I tend to use 25/.5/100/0 for my baseline to start with, and I leave luminance NR at zero (usually.)

sebboh
Total Posts: 10712

douglasf13 wrote:
Jacob D wrote:

I tend to use 25/.5/100/0 for my baseline to start with, and I leave luminance NR at zero (usually.)

i do zero sharpening at export from lightroom. sharpening comes later when i decide on output size and format (web/print) and i do that in photoshop.

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1555

thanks for all the responses about the EVF, maybe i should buy a used one and give it a try.

for resizing i export fullsize from LR to PS and use a script quite similar to the one described by denoir in this post.
Haven't done much printing for a while, can anyone recommend a good article about sharpening for print?
If anyone is interested: I have summarized most of my images i posted to the Nex Images thread by lenses, have a look

douglasf13

sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
Jacob D wrote:

i do zero sharpening at export from lightroom. sharpening comes later when i decide on output size and format (web/print) and i do that in photoshop.

The sharpening option in the Detail panel in LR is import sharpening, which generally remains consistent, regardless of output size. It's basically there to counteract the AA filter, and setting the detail slider to 100 gives deconvolution sharpening. Output sharpening is available in the export panel, and it is dependent on size/format.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10712

douglasf13 wrote:
sebboh wrote:

The sharpening option in the Detail panel in LR is import sharpening, which generally remains consistent, regardless of output size. It's basically there to counteract the AA filter, and setting the detail slider to 100 gives deconvolution sharpening. Output sharpening is available in the export panel, and it is dependent on size/format.

then i do zero import sharpening and zero export sharpening till i pick a size in photoshop.

douglasf13

sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
sebboh wrote:

then i do zero import sharpening and zero export sharpening till i pick a size in photoshop.

That's interesting. So you essentially skip raw import sharpening?

1       2       3      
       5              42       43       end