Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter
/forum/topic/1081875/6

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

robert mariani
Total Posts: 133

I will echo dswtan and thank everyone for your insight to modifying a Lee WA adapter to use the Lee Filter Holder on the Canon 17mm TS, especially FM for starting this thread.

Couple things I learned in making mine:

I used the Lee 82mm WA adapter and like others, I cut out the inner ring as suggested. I then used a Dremmel tool to further cut away the remaining interior flange to make it flush with the inside diameter of the Lee Adapter. I wish I had taken photos of the before and after, but I didn't.

So after attaching the WA adapter to the donor Canon lens cap, which worked great, I put it onto the lens. Holding the lens back to a small light, with the rear lens cap attached, I found that while the WA adapter attached to the lens cap was "light tight". HOWEVER, I was bummed to find that the cap, attached to the lens IS NOT light tight. I could see two slivers of arch shaped light coming through the cap back side, that could contribute to reflections of light especially when using a Big Stopper during the middle of the day.

I tried looking for all sorts of solutions to block the light coming through the back side of the cap without interfering with the lens focus ring. After looking at several homemade solutions, I stopped in at Target, and bought the thickest diameter woman's hair bands (black) I could find. I slid one over the lens up to the back of the lens cap, viola, light blocked. And it stays in place as I rotate the focus ring.

Not saying any of you have this same issue with your lens cap, but maybe you have not noticed it before. If you do have the same issue, head to Target or the like, the solution is less than $1 away.

Hope this helps someone else! BTW, get the bands without metal on them, that could scratch your lens body.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17925

For those who want the adapter but do not want to make it themselves, Robert White is now selling it:
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/shop-by-brand/lee-filters/adaptor-rings/lee-adaptor-ring-for-canon-17mm-f-4-ts-e-lens.html

I don't know how well it works but it's another option.
Best,
Fred

Flowernut
Total Posts: 82

I took a different approach. Instead of adding the lee adapter, I took a cheap 95mm filter and removed the glass. Then I glued the empty filter to the cutoff lens cap. Nothing to report but I should be able to get a larger shift before it cuts into the picture.

Roland W
Total Posts: 1945

I just ordered one of the Lee filter adapters for the 17 TS-E from Robert White Company in the UK. They said it was in stock, and that I should have here in the US in roughly 5 to 7 days. I will report observations about it when it arrives.

Clearly it is only for 100mm wide filters, which limits shift to a degree, but I am willing to work with that limitation. I do like the idea of being able to use the Big Stopper solid ND, as well as other 100mm square solid ND filters, and I also will consider getting a good 100mm square polarizer for the occasions where I need one on this lens. I know that the sky is an issue with polarizers for a lens this wide, but there are lots of scenes that do not have sky, and can benefit from reflection control from water, as well as improved color saturation for foliage and some types of rocks.

Fred Miranda

Flowernut wrote:
I took a different approach. Instead of adding the lee adapter, I took a cheap 95mm filter and removed the glass. Then I glued the empty filter to the cutoff lens cap. Nothing to report but I should be able to get a larger shift before it cuts into the picture.

Could you elaborate on which filter and how well this works? Post a couple pictures if you can.
Thanks,
Fred

pcho
Total Posts: 1888

Received my Lee Canon 17mm tse adaptor today and I compared it to my homemade Canon lens cap mod. I don't think there is much difference at all. Maybe 1mm diff when shifting.

Perry

Roland W

I just got my Lee adapter for the 17mm f4 L TS-E lens, and it looks very functional. The construction is all metal, and the strength and durability appear excellent. The adapter bayonets on to the lens similar to how the cap would, but has no locking detent to keep it on. But the friction of it bayoneting on is high, and it would require a large amount of rotation before it would become loose. The only negative about the bayonet action is that it seems almost too tight, but I expect I will get used to it.

The front face of this adapter projects forward to just in front of the front lens element, probably less than 0.3 mm. When you put a Lee filter holder assembly on the adapter, the rear slot is located such that the back face of the 4 inch wide filter is going to be about 0.5 mm in front of the front element, so they have is about as close to the lens as you would ever desire.

The hole in the front of the adapter is about 84.6 mm in diameter, which is slightly larger than the inside of a standard Lee wide angle adapter if you remove the inner ring, like is described for making the do it your self lens cap adapter. . In addition, the front inside rim is beveled at 45 degrees for about a 2 mm width, which additionally helps for field of view through the adapter. It looks like they have done this about as wide as you can imagine and still use a normal Lee filter holder for 4 inch filters, which needs to lock on to a standardized bevel edge, and thus can not be larger.

I am very happy with the unit so far, but have not done any field of view checking. But any previous testing with 4 inch filters in a Lee holder will end up pretty much the same as using those items with this adapter, so I expect limited shift coverage, but full tilt coverage. Don't expect any magic out of this compared to other 4 inch Lee holder solutions, like with the lens cap adapter.

I do have a filter holder set up for one filter slot plus the 105mm threads for a polarizer, and will check that out for if a polarizer shows up in the corners with no shift. I will also set up a Lee holder with just the 105mm threads on it, with no holder slot, and see how that works.

Jonathan Huynh
Total Posts: 9301

Roland. would you kindly post some photos of after maket Lee adapter for Canon TS-E 17mm Lens. I'm really insterested to see how it's look like.

Roland W

The link that Fred posted above for the Robert White company shows the adapter pretty well. Here is the link again for easy reference:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/shop-by-brand/lee-filters/adaptor-rings/lee-adaptor-ring-for-canon-17mm-f-4-ts-e-lens.html

The photo in the link can be double clicked to enlarge it. What is shown has a Lee filter holder clipped on to the front of the adapter, and the rest that you can see is the metal of the adapter body.

Another view of it is shown on the Lee site. Look about half ways down in the following link to see the adapter from the front, and in this view you can see the rim that the holder clips on to showing.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system

I am not sure if the adapters are available in the US directly right now, but I had good service from Robert White in the UK. The shipping transit time was a little longer than the original estimate, but 10 days of Royal Mail transit time is not too bad.

Roland W

I have always wanted a good way to add a polarizer to the Canon 17 TS-E, to help with water reflections, and also for improved color saturation in a variety of subjects in nature. I know that scenes with blue sky in them can be seriously affected by a polarizer on a lens this wide, but the other uses are important to me.

The new Lee filter adapter for the 17 now makes it possible to mount a 105mm polarizer, so I have evaluated that option. For me, I would not often need a graduated ND fliter combined with a polarizer, so I configured the filter holder without any provision for the 4 inch wide filters. I removed the plastic filter holder edges completely, and then mounted the 105mm metal filter adapter ring directly to the face of the holder body. This allows the mounting of screw in filters as close as possible to the front of the lens for this adapter and system. I checked first the vignetting caused by just the filter adapter edge. I then installed my B+W 105mm KSM circular polarizer, and evaluated the additional vignetting that the polarizer caused. All evaluations were done by visual inspection looking through the view finder of a 5D3 with the lens wide open. Note that stopping down this lens causes the vignetting to get slightly worse, which is I believe related to the increased depth of field.

For landscape orientation of the camera, and for shifting in the vertical direction, the edge of the holder becomes visible at about 8 mm of shift. Stopping down the lens to f22 changes the start of vingnetting to about 7mm. When the polarizer is added on the front, the edge of the polarizer becomes visible at about 2 mm of shift.

For portrait orientation of the camera, and for still shifting in the vertical direction, the edge of the holder becomes visible at about 5 mm of shift. Stopping down to f22 changes that to about 4 mm. When the polarizer is added on the front, the edge of the polarizer becomes visible at about 1.5 mm of shift.

So it looks like a 105mm circular polarizer mounted on the Lee system using this adapter, and with no filter slot included, is usable, but not with much shift available before vingnetting occurs.

The best polarizer solution with the Lee 4 inch system may well be to get a high quality 4 inch square circular polarizer, and use it on a Lee adapter set up for just one slot. I have not yet tested that kind of configuration, but it looks like the vingnetting for a single filter set up would be limited by the adapter ring, with no further limitations caused by the filter holder edge. Now I just need to buy another very expensive circular polarizer. It never ends, does it.

Fred Miranda

Roland W wrote:
I have always wanted a good way to add a polarizer to the Canon 17 TS-E, to help with water reflections, and also for improved color saturation in a variety of subjects in nature. I know that scenes with blue sky in them can be seriously affected by a polarizer on a lens this wide, but the other uses are important to me.

The new Lee filter adapter for the 17 now makes it possible to mount a 105mm polarizer, so I have evaluated that option. For me, I would not often need a graduated ND fliter combined with a polarizer, so I configured the filter holder without any provision for the 4 inch wide filters. I removed the plastic filter holder edges completely, and then mounted the 105mm metal filter adapter ring directly to the face of the holder body. This allows the mounting of screw in filters as close as possible to the front of the lens for this adapter and system. I checked first the vignetting caused by just the filter adapter edge. I then installed my B+W 105mm KSM circular polarizer, and evaluated the additional vignetting that the polarizer caused. All evaluations were done by visual inspection looking through the view finder of a 5D3 with the lens wide open. Note that stopping down this lens causes the vignetting to get slightly worse, which is I believe related to the increased depth of field.

For landscape orientation of the camera, and for shifting in the vertical direction, the edge of the holder becomes visible at about 8 mm of shift. Stopping down the lens to f22 changes the start of vingnetting to about 7mm. When the polarizer is added on the front, the edge of the polarizer becomes visible at about 2 mm of shift.

For portrait orientation of the camera, and for still shifting in the vertical direction, the edge of the holder becomes visible at about 5 mm of shift. Stopping down to f22 changes that to about 4 mm. When the polarizer is added on the front, the edge of the polarizer becomes visible at about 1.5 mm of shift.

So it looks like a 105mm circular polarizer mounted on the Lee system using this adapter, and with no filter slot included, is usable, but not with much shift available before vingnetting occurs.

The best polarizer solution with the Lee 4 inch system may well be to get a high quality 4 inch square circular polarizer, and use it on a Lee adapter set up for just one slot. I have not yet tested that kind of configuration, but it looks like the vingnetting for a single filter set up would be limited by the adapter ring, with no further limitations caused by the filter holder edge. Now I just need to buy another very expensive circular polarizer. It never ends, does it.

Thanks for your report Roland.
I also tested the "Lens cap adapter" with the Lee 105mm polarizer mount and vingnetting was pronounced at smaller apertures. I came to the same conclusion..the Lee 4 inch square circular polarizer is the best option and actually works quite well.

pcho
Total Posts: 1888

Hi Fred,
I tested my adapter against our lens cap variety and I don't think there is much difference between them in terms when shifting before vignetting ? If there is, it is very marginal. Do you agree?

Perry

ilija
Total Posts: 3

Is it possible to attach a lens cap on this new adaptor?

Roland W

The only lens cap that I know of for the Lee system is a white plastic cap that Lee sells. I bought a set of those Lee caps several years ago, and they are useless. They barely snap on, and come off so easily that I have never put them in to use. Currently I see mixed reviews of those caps, so there is a chance that Lee has improved the design.

It would be really nice for Lee to come out with a cap with pinch type action that firmly attaches on to the rim on the front of the adapter. If it was a bigger market, I could see a third party design something and market it, but I doubt that would ever happen.

My only "solution" for now is to set up a filter holder as a cap, by removing all the filter slot hardware, and then attaching a thin piece of plastic to it to blank it off. That would give the function of a cap, but it is bigger than needed, and has the release stem sticking out, making it even harder to handle things than a proper cap would be. It is also an expensive way to go.

dswtan
Total Posts: 9

Alas already backordered per this morning, PDT, when I tried to order. Familiar territory with Lee, alas! :-)

pbdtoo

Came here via a link on Canon Rumors, the Fotodiox Wonderpana system allows 12mm shift in any direction with zero vignetting, it also allows 12mm shift and 4º of tilt before vignetting, or the full tilt and 8mm shift.

The 145mm CPL is high quality, the actual Wonderpana is very high quality and well made, it has an anodized aluminum locking mechanism for instance. They just came out with a new version, the FreeArc for grad use too, the new version allows for independent grad rotation. http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/wonderpana-66-freearc-kit-rotating-filter-system-holder-only.html

I am not connected to the company but hate to see all you guys cut up lens hoods or wait for Lee.

I posted some images to show complete absence of vignetting at 12mm shift here http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=17200.msg320611#msg320611

dswtan

Thanks pbdtoo! Sounds good - but should be, at $275.

pbdtoo

dswtan, You are welcome, don't forget that $275 INCLUDES the 145mm CPL. You can pay that for the Lee 105 CPL on its own.

dswtan

pbdtoo - could you clarify where it says that the CPL is included please? I agree, that would be a good deal. I'm not seeing it mentioned as such at the site though. Thank you for any clarification!

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/wonderpana-66-freearc-kit-rotating-filter-system-holder-only.html
- URL says "holder only".
- Feature list at the site:
"Includes:
•Dedicated WonderPana FreeArc Rotating Core Unit (choose lens above)
•WonderPana 66 Upgrade Bracket - 6.6" Wide Filter Holder Bracket Upgrade
•145mm Heavy Duty Inner Pinch Lens Cap"

pbdtoo

Ah, sorry for any confusion, I got the Wonderpana only kit, not the 66 kit as I don't use square filters.

This is what I bought http://www.amazon.com/WonderPana-145-Essentials-Kit-Aspherical/dp/B00AUK945M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378870716&sr=8-2&keywords=fotodiox+TS-E

The Amazon images show the metal bayonet mount too, though mine is all black with a red release/locking lever.

1       2       3              6      
       8       end