Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter
/forum/topic/1081875/4

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6302

Mike K wrote:

ben egbert wrote:

My first outing after I built it I left it in my car. I had to hike to get to a solar eclipse location and carried my stuff in my vest. I thought I had everything, but the adaptor was still in the bag. After the eclipse, I had a great sunset and used the 17, but had to hand hold the ND grad. You get a great reflection of whatever is behind you on the front of the lens that way.

I had considered that I may need the standard filter holder, but I sure do want a shade. I never see those flares until I am home. I mean those sneaky flares that you think are behind your back. The shade also helps some when in a light drizzle like at the coast. No help in rain though.

Its my experience that the 17 TSE lens will flare everytime sun hits the front element. Thus the requirement to shade it with the hand. There is a good reason there is no hood on this lens, the tilt or shift lens movements would require such a wide hood that its effectively no hood at all. Of course in practice we rarely use full tilt with this lens, but its the shift that seems to vignette more easily with Fred's lens cap adapter hood.
Mike K

The hood worked pretty good on my old rig, other issues of course, but not the hood. That version was closer to the lens. I may need to buy a regular filter holder however, but this one is serviceable to 4mm down. The hood never shows, its the front filter mount that causes vignette. I could remove that and gain a bunch more shift, but then I can't mount my 105mm CPL for my other lenses that use this system.

When I bought the hood, I only had the 24TSE where this system works fine even with a CPL.

ben egbert

Roland W wrote:
For the Lee filter holder system, including the Lee lens hoods that have filter slots, remember that you can reconfigure the holder to accomodate 4mm filters by changing out the filter guides. You can put between one and three slots on Lee holders, and each slot can be for any of three different filter thicknesses, 1mm, 2mm, or 4mm. The Lee side guides, and various lengths of the special Lee screws, are all sold through various Lee dealers, including B&H Photo. Note that the screws are not a common thread size, so go ahead and get the Lee screws of the length you need.

For very wide angle lenses like the Canon 17mm TS-E described in this thread, it can be very helpful to change to just one slot on the Lee holder, to give you the best chance of nothing showing up in the image.

I had already removed the second slot and when I moved from Spokane to Utah I lost them. I don't want to add any more length to this system which is already marginal. I will get a Lee polarizer and then probably remove the front screw in filter mount which is causing the vignette. I will need to use nuts for the screws. I can probably find some screws and nuts that fit in my personal collection.

Roland W
Total Posts: 1924

If you have the Lee filter holder "body" with the threaded brass inserts as the base of your holder or Lee hood, then the threads are built in to the inserts, and they are not standard threads. I thought the same thing that I could find screws in my very big collection of stuff or at a good store, but no luck. As I remember the thread pitch is not a US standard, and is not metric. I have got filter guides and screws in the past from both my local camera store and from B&H.

I also use the 105mm filter adapter for some situations, but I have a second Lee holder that has that adapter on it, and do not use it for my wide angle lenses.

ben egbert

Roland W wrote:
If you have the Lee filter holder "body" with the threaded brass inserts as the base of your holder or Lee hood, then the threads are built in to the inserts, and they are not standard threads. I thought the same thing that I could find screws in my very big collection of stuff or at a good store, but no luck. As I remember the thread pitch is not a US standard, and is not metric. I have got filter guides and screws in the past from both my local camera store and from B&H.

I also use the 105mm filter adapter for some situations, but I have a second Lee holder that has that adapter on it, and do not use it for my wide angle lenses.

The threads are in the ring I will be removing. I could use a small flat head screw with a nut, probably a #2. But I am leaving town too soon to do anything now. I will use it the way it is until I get home. Then I will get a Lee filter and possibly a Lee filter holder.

Edit, I was wrong, the screws go from both sides and I would not be able to remove the ring without replacement screws.

I have a Lee filter foundation kit on my B&H wish list.

sivaveera
Total Posts: 6

Agree with Fred.... 82mm is the way to go

sivaveera

Lee Filter Holders are easy to find in UK. But My friend bought Century filter holder. Looks and feels like Lee and came in a Lee box. You can find em at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Century-4-Inch-Filter-Holder-Adapter/dp/B004FLL4A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337973285&sr=8-1

sivaveera

Did a test shot with TS-E 17 and Lee Big Stopper.... The Lee Big Stopper has a foam which ended up showing on my shot I did not realize that till I opened the picture when I came back home. Now I have cut the foam circular so that it does not show up on the view.

This picture was full 12mm left and right shift, notice my tripod got shook because the waves were pondering when I took this shot. I have not edited the picture just HDR and stitched using photoshop.

Wish I had removed the foam I would have got that extra width in the shot.

sivaveera

Follow Up:
------------------
I received my Century 82mm wide angle adapter. It came in a Lee box just like Lee Foundation 82mm wide angle Adapter

Roland W

The Century version of the Lee filter holder has guides on it for the Schneider and other glass 100mm wide filters, which are 4mm thick. Most still photographers use the resin filters that are 2mm thick. If you got a Century holder, you may want to buy some filter side guides that are made for 2mm filters, and replace the 4mm guides. Lee dealers sell those, and sometimes they are in a better stock situation than some of the other Lee items.

Rajan Parrikar
Total Posts: 1370

See my blog post for more.

Roland W

The detail photos in the above blog post show that the inner ring of the Lee filter adapter was not removed as part of the process to build the special "Lens Cap Filter Adapter". That does limit the field of view some, and the removal is much easier before you build the completed assembly. If you look in this thread starting on the first page you can see discussion of this, and follow the process that was used. For any more professional place like this machine shop that is doing this work it would be best if they could also do that removal.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

I wonder why Lee hasn't made a filter holder for this lens. Could the shift capability be that much of a problem?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

John Mills
Total Posts: 376

I sent a message to Lee Filters today about whether they were looking at releasing a filter system for the TSE 17mm lens...some promising feedback from Graham Merritt of their Tech Sales division.

Hi John,

The SW150 system has been incredibly popular for the Nikon 14-24mm lens. Because of this, manufacturing capacity has been at maximum simply fulfilling orders for this one fitting. As the back order list has reduced, we are now looking at adapting this system for other lenses and the TSE 17mm is the first of these. We are at the prototype stage now, but have done no camera tests, so it is still early days.

All we can do is respond to customer requests and aside from the Nikon zoom, the Canon 17mm is by far the most requested alternative, so it makes sense to look at this one first. Other lenses will be considered as capacity allows and as demand dictates. I hope this explains the situation,

With regards, Graham Merritt - Tech Sales - LEE Filters.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17702

John Mills wrote:
I sent a message to Lee Filters today about whether they were looking at releasing a filter system for the TSE 17mm lens...some promising feedback from Graham Merritt of their Tech Sales division.

Hi John,

The SW150 system has been incredibly popular for the Nikon 14-24mm lens. Because of this, manufacturing capacity has been at maximum simply fulfilling orders for this one fitting. As the back order list has reduced, we are now looking at adapting this system for other lenses and the TSE 17mm is the first of these. We are at the prototype stage now, but have done no camera tests, so it is still early days.

All we can do is respond to customer requests and aside from the Nikon zoom, the Canon 17mm is by far the most requested alternative, so it makes sense to look at this one first. Other lenses will be considered as capacity allows and as demand dictates. I hope this explains the situation,

With regards, Graham Merritt - Tech Sales - LEE Filters.

If they produce a filter that allows full shift, I'm afraid it will be huge! I'm very excited to see this prototype. I will contact them.
Best,
Fred

Roland W

The current Lee SW-150 filter holder system made for the Nikon wide zoom accepts 150mm wide by 170 mm tall graduated ND filters which they sell for it. I would guess that Lee will stay with that filter size for any special filter adapter for the Canon 17mm TS-E lens, even if it does not quite cover all shift extreams. But it is bound to be a lot better than using a 100mm wide filter.

Jonathan Huynh
Total Posts: 9274

Thank Fred .
I finished my new filter holder using the Canon TS-E 17 cap and Lee 82mm filter adaptor WA
I was follow the process you post step by step images.
The filter holder fits and work perfectly , it look like made by Canon Factory.
I am very happy with the outcome.
Here are some quick pictures.

pcho
Total Posts: 1884

Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for posting this modification. Ended costing me quite a bit as I had to retool. Dremel tool, little saw bits, clamps etc but is was worth it and also a challenge for me to do it and I did.

Perry

Some photos from my weekend project.

Yakim Peled

I wish Lee or someone else would introduce something for those of us who are a bit DIY-challenged....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

pcho
Total Posts: 1884

Yakim Peled wrote:
I wish Lee or someone else would introduce something for those of us who are a bit DIY-challenged....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Yakim, I am one of those. Took me longer than I thought but if I can do it, you could. Makes it a very expensive mod especially when I have to purchase everything from scratch.

Perry

Yakim Peled

I guess I could, but I'd also need to get all these tools... and learn how to use them... Well, I guess I could do that while saving for the 17/4....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end