Zeiss 85 1.4 problem (seeking advise and help)
/forum/topic/1009304/0

scorpioh
Total Posts: 3

Hi, I am new here and was advised to seek for some opinions for a problematic Zeiss lens from Pentaxforums.

The story goes like this:

I recently acquired a Zeiss zk 85/1.4 which was plagued with some kind of "white spots" below the first couple of elements. Believing it to be an isolated case of bad luck, I got a replacement copy. Surprisingly, or maybe not, the second copy shows exactly the same problem. Interestingly, the serial numbers of these two lenses are quite distant from each other, making me believe that they are probably from very different batches - meaning this could be a common "defect" for this lens?! There also seem to be a chance of fungus since I got both of them from B&H and they are probably stored in the same place, under the same conditions.

From the lens design, there don't seem to be any gluing of the first few elements which eliminates the possibility of element separation? Additionally, the spots are populated randomly but evenly below the bottom surface of the first element and top surface of the second element.

Finally, it doesn't quite affect the IQ as far as I could tell and I could probably live with it if it is indeed some lens characteristic. Could owners of this lens kindly do a sanity check on their lenses? I thank all of you in advance.

philber
Total Posts: 7212

After a thourough wipe, I can see nothing, even after angling it every which way in the sunlight. Mine is a ZE.

Alee18
Total Posts: 95

Hi Scorpioh,

I owned the ZE 35f2 and 50f1.4 and my friend the 85f1.4 and we never had such experience. Like what philber suggested, try and wipe it and see whether they can go away, otherwise get another replacement.

Anthony Lee

scorpioh

Hi, thanks for your advice, both of you. (Hey, Anthony, nice to see you here!)

I couldn't wipe it off as it is in between the elements. It's a replacement copy and sadly, I guess I am going for the third...

denoir
Total Posts: 4205

I just checked mine and no, nothing. All elements are spotless.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3060

Make sure you complain if they're selling you something advertised incorrectly - they should refund your return shipping (if they've got any soul). Good luck.

scorpioh

Thanks for all the sanity checks and advice. I guess both copies are going back to the dealer. I'll try my luck with another dealer.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33500

It could be the beginning of "lens fungus"
Singapore is a extremely humid place.

Jason_Thames
Total Posts: 178

scorpioh wrote:
Thanks for all the sanity checks and advice. I guess both copies are going back to the dealer. I'll try my luck with another dealer.

This looks to me like bubbles in a cemented lens. The 3rd and 4th lenses in the group are cemented in this particular lens, and it appears they are beginning to come apart. I had the same thing happen to a Canon 100 Macro, and the lens has to go to canon to be fixed. They ended up replacing the cemented lens group. At any rate, this is not normal, and I would do the same, send it back and buy elsewhere.

-Jason

Alee18
Total Posts: 95

scorpioh wrote:
Hi, thanks for your advice, both of you. (Hey, Anthony, nice to see you here!)

I couldn't wipe it off as it is in between the elements. It's a replacement copy and sadly, I guess I am going for the third...

Been here for quite a while as I was using the Canon 5D. Like to meet up with you to try some of your ZKs on Pentax and see how they differ with the FA Ltds lenses especially in rendering.