Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/168

1       2       3              168      
       170              214       215       end

lumis beans
Total Posts: 177

Is anyone using the ZE/ZM 21mm 2.8 on an NEX with an electronic adapter.

I've seen some commenting it's waste on anything but FF. However, I do plan on buying a FF Canikon some time in the future.

wfrank
Total Posts: 2733

Cant you use a simple adapter with the ZF versions, as they have manual aperture? That would work on a possible future Canon FF too (a bit weird ... but still do the job). But if I were you I would look for another lens in a more appropriate size to use with a NEX as the ZE/ZF are enourmous. I think the Oly/Zuiko 21/3.5 is one of those extraordinary lenses. That should BTW, also work on a Canon FF.

lumis beans
Total Posts: 177

wfrank wrote:
Cant you use a simple adapter with the ZF versions, as they have manual aperture? That would work on a possible future Canon FF too (a bit weird ... but still do the job). But if I were you I would look for another lens in a more appropriate size to use with a NEX as the ZE/ZF are enourmous. I think the Oly/Zuiko 21/3.5 is one of those extraordinary lenses. That should BTW, also work on a Canon FF.

I meant to type ZF instead of ZM, my mistake. You're right about the size. I have the ZE 35; it's a monolith. I'm leaning toward a future FF Canon due to already owning the ZE 35. I wish my 35 was the Nikon version, though. That would make everything a lot easier since the lucky Nikon users have aperture. I think I'll look into the Oly and the Ultron 21 a bit more being FF is not a priority for me right now. Thanks.

Greggf
Total Posts: 1163

Along with the infinity focus issue on my new to me 50 1.4mmj, I would also like input as to what lens hood fits the lens, too!!
Thanks,
Gregg

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4441

Been away from here for far too long. Just back from a visit to Jamaica where I got to give my camera some zeiss love. These are with the CZ85/1.4 (EOS converted by J. Buchanan)

AhamB
Total Posts: 4855

Greggf wrote:
Along with the infinity focus issue on my new to me 50 1.4mmj, I would also like input as to what lens hood fits the lens, too!!

I got this one, on recommendation of others on this forum: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-Standard-55mm-Screw-in-Lens-Hood-Cap-/200905559659

If you use your lens on a 1Dmk4 you could probably use a slightly longer hood though.

Greggf

Thank you AhamB. I just purchased that exact one. I think it'll be fine on the 1D4. All the other hoods I use are standard, so it will be fine! Thank you for the link!!

Going back to my infinity focus issue. I'm using a standard Fotodiox C/Y to EOS adapter for the 50 1.4mmj. It just won't go to infinity. How to adjust myself, without having to send it to zeiss NY? Or are there other adapters that are(someone mentioned thinner) that would work. This copy is the sharpest WO mmj that I've had(2 1.4 mmj's, and a 1.7), and is practically brand new!!
Is it the lens that won't go to infinity? Or is it the adapter? While I mainly shoot WO-f2.8, I love the older Zeiss colors, and was trying to shoot stopped down for some landscape work, and the furthest it would focus, was about 50 yards out.
Thanks for anyone's help!!
Gregg

AhamB

Greggf wrote:
Is it the lens that won't go to infinity? Or is it the adapter?

It could be the adapter. Like I said, with one of my adapters my 50/1.4 couldn't reach infinity, but only with that adapter and not the other ones that I have. When you buy an adapter there is always a chance that the thickness deviates from what it should be -- supposedly more expensive adapters are made to tighter tolerances, but often trying another cheap adapter can be the solution.

If you want to adjust infinity you need to unscrew the front part of the lens of which the filter ring and lens name plate is part. I can't describe the process exactly because I haven't done it with this lens, but I think you only need to unscrew 3 screws and can then adjust the infinity position. The last two pictures in this post are relevant for this: http://forum.mflenses.com/overhaul-of-contax-planar-1-4-50mm-t-mmj-t39807.html

In the picture before last, you see a thin ring with 6 holes -- that goes inside the focus ring and the 3 screws fix it to the silver part of the lens seen on the left. Before you can get to those 3 screws, you need to remove that front part of the lens shown in the last picture. A rubber/latex glove should give you enough grip on it to unscrew it (counterclockwise) by hand.

wfrank

There is a adapter article at pebbleplace starting here: http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db_Adapters.html

The brand information is more or less outdated, but thickness info applies. The adapters I have come from manufacturers all guaranteeing infinity, but in practice it varies. Some of my CY's is very much on the limit depending on which adapter I use. Also - as noted - the lenses can vary nowadays as some can have adjusted infinity themselves - or a Zeiss workshop for that matter.

Greggf

Thank AhamB and Wfrank...looking to get infinity to work, so I will try adjusting. I might even have another adapter to try too!!
Here are a few from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk the other day while Mason is on spring break!!
1D4 and C/Y 50 1.4 MMJ
Thanks Gregg

Greggf

@AhamB...
Ended up getting another adapter from Amazon(another Fotodiox pro), and while not 100% certain yet, I believe it has fixed my infinity focus problem. I actually took the lens apart, thinking to delve into that realm, and quickly realized that I wasn't sure exactly how to adjust the lens for infinity focus once apart!!??
The new adapter was a much easier experience!!!
Did a small family shoot with the C/Y 50 planar and am amazed at how good this lens really is!
Once I process some, I will post a few.
Gregg

hiepphotog
Total Posts: 824

I think you should check out the Rayqual adapter from cameraquest as well. I wouldn't adjust anything on the lens since it would be more difficult later to sell (since you have to adjust it back to the original point).

Greggf

^^^^^
Once I had the lens apart,I decided to not do anything rash....and not adjust anything!!
Hence the new adapter. I will check into the Rayqual if the Fotodiox pro doesn't work. Thanks for the info.
Gregg

AhamB

Greggf wrote:
@AhamB...
Ended up getting another adapter from Amazon(another Fotodiox pro), and while not 100% certain yet, I believe it has fixed my infinity focus problem. I actually took the lens apart, thinking to delve into that realm, and quickly realized that I wasn't sure exactly how to adjust the lens for infinity focus once apart!!??

Good to hear.
For adjusting infinity, I think it's just a matter of unscrewing those 3 screws, turning the focus a little bit beyond the original infinity point (counterclockwise, seen from behind the camera) and then fastening the screws at the point where you think you have reached best focus for infinity. You can do this with the lens on the camera, using live view 10x magnification.
If you feel you still want to try this you could send a message to the OP of the thread I linked to and ask him, to be sure to get the correct directions http://forum.mflenses.com/overhaul-of-contax-planar-1-4-50mm-t-mmj-t39807.html

wfrank

Humble CY 28/2.8 at blue hills, 70's architecture at its peak here. Canon 5D2.

IMG_1515 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1497 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1534 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1522 1280. by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1500 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

michael49
Total Posts: 5364

wfrank wrote:
Humble CY 28/2.8.....

Such an awesome little lens....

Same lens on a 6D....

C/Y 85 2.8 on a 6D....

C/Y 50 1.7 on film (Portra 400, 35mm, Yahica FX-3)....

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

My favourite image thread (outside the RX1) always with lovely images.

Since we do not have any dedicated Sony Zeiss thread, I want to draw attention to a longish video dealing with MTF, the new ZA 50/1.4 SSM and some rarely discussed lens design issues, by Ohtake-san of Sony. The video is muffled and poorly shot but still some may see merit in fast forward mode.

Key moments are 8.30, 13.20, 15.00 and 17.50. Sony are asking a lot of money for this one - around $1500 - but it does look to be very good indeed, with excellent cross-frame performance for wide open use. It comes across as though Sony produced the design despite it being a ZA, more talk of this in the comments.

link:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-lens-designer-motoyuki-ohtake-says-well-make-more-lenses-please-wait-for-a-while/

wfrank

Awesome shot on that Dodge michael, and film too!

joakim
Total Posts: 1331

Wilhelm, great set of a not so great subject.
Michael, love the photos with the CY 50 1.7

JaanOs
Total Posts: 114

Wilhelm, first one looks iconic about pursuit in 70's "common" architecture. Tonality equals and lights distinguish, simply characteristic

1       2       3              168      
       170              214       215       end