Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/163

1       2       3              163      
       165              249       250       end

hiepphotog
Total Posts: 2527

I think you should check out the Rayqual adapter from cameraquest as well. I wouldn't adjust anything on the lens since it would be more difficult later to sell (since you have to adjust it back to the original point).

Greggf
Total Posts: 3167

^^^^^
Once I had the lens apart,I decided to not do anything rash....and not adjust anything!!
Hence the new adapter. I will check into the Rayqual if the Fotodiox pro doesn't work. Thanks for the info.
Gregg

AhamB
Total Posts: 5253

Greggf wrote:
@AhamB...
Ended up getting another adapter from Amazon(another Fotodiox pro), and while not 100% certain yet, I believe it has fixed my infinity focus problem. I actually took the lens apart, thinking to delve into that realm, and quickly realized that I wasn't sure exactly how to adjust the lens for infinity focus once apart!!??

Good to hear.
For adjusting infinity, I think it's just a matter of unscrewing those 3 screws, turning the focus a little bit beyond the original infinity point (counterclockwise, seen from behind the camera) and then fastening the screws at the point where you think you have reached best focus for infinity. You can do this with the lens on the camera, using live view 10x magnification.
If you feel you still want to try this you could send a message to the OP of the thread I linked to and ask him, to be sure to get the correct directions http://forum.mflenses.com/overhaul-of-contax-planar-1-4-50mm-t-mmj-t39807.html

wfrank
Total Posts: 3216

Humble CY 28/2.8 at blue hills, 70's architecture at its peak here. Canon 5D2.

IMG_1515 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1497 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1534 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1522 1280. by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_1500 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

michael49
Total Posts: 5748

wfrank wrote:
Humble CY 28/2.8.....

Such an awesome little lens....

Same lens on a 6D....

C/Y 85 2.8 on a 6D....

C/Y 50 1.7 on film (Portra 400, 35mm, Yahica FX-3)....

philip_pj
Total Posts: 4166

My favourite image thread (outside the RX1) always with lovely images.

Since we do not have any dedicated Sony Zeiss thread, I want to draw attention to a longish video dealing with MTF, the new ZA 50/1.4 SSM and some rarely discussed lens design issues, by Ohtake-san of Sony. The video is muffled and poorly shot but still some may see merit in fast forward mode.

Key moments are 8.30, 13.20, 15.00 and 17.50. Sony are asking a lot of money for this one - around $1500 - but it does look to be very good indeed, with excellent cross-frame performance for wide open use. It comes across as though Sony produced the design despite it being a ZA, more talk of this in the comments.

link:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-lens-designer-motoyuki-ohtake-says-well-make-more-lenses-please-wait-for-a-while/

wfrank

Awesome shot on that Dodge michael, and film too!

joakim
Total Posts: 2152

Wilhelm, great set of a not so great subject.
Michael, love the photos with the CY 50 1.7

JaanOs
Total Posts: 114

Wilhelm, first one looks iconic about pursuit in 70's "common" architecture. Tonality equals and lights distinguish, simply characteristic

akul
Total Posts: 2689

Carten, Joakim, Samuli, Picture this, Gregg Thank you !!

Samuli - As always, love the capture of air with your shots. Strong being there-ness.

Gregg - Great to see your work again. I hope your planar will find its infinity. I like your shots of your son!

Bob - Nice warm hot air from Jamaica. Great set capturing your trip.

Wilhelm - Great architecture shots. #1 especially. 70s ? It looks a bit more 80s but Swedes are ahead of design trend, so it makes sense.

michael - great set from film. Very nice.

Greggf

Thank you Akul! good to be back...
a few more taken recently...although I'm still working on the infinity thing, with 3 diff adapters, but I think I'm close!!
Gregg

wfrank

Thanks guys for kind words.

Luka, the only thing that Sweden may have been ahead in there is brutal cost effective building style or something, not the fine art of design :o)

Gregg, I would expect the 50/1.7 to be very sharp stopped down @ infinity. FWIW, as an example, the 28/2.8 is remarkably varying with the tiniest adjustment. Some of the building shots from yesterday are tack sharp (@21MP/4-800ISO) but many went to the trash. Perfect infinity on that lens is just before the hard stop but will have to be placed very exact. I shoot non-tripod/handheld so I have no patience to use LV and magnify and all that. The infinity marks (lying "8") first circle middle have to be at the distance mark, tolerance is that small. I had of course tested beforehand, for infinity I cant use the trusted OVF. Perhaps your lens is as demanding, just a thought.

BTW, really like #2 - makes me long even more for the late spring we have here.

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1892

Bob, Jamaica cigars photo made we want cigar even I don't smoke...quite challenging background but result is very nice.

Michael, liked the landscape shot with Sonnar 2.8/85, the fence looks really nice (dark things, with snow on top of them scaled down sometimes make this happen).

Gregg, nice usage of Planar "crazy bokeh", thou I don't understand how you managed to make it happen on last photo since distance to dog/focus plane is not even close minimum focus distance.

Wilhelm, "Humble CY 28/2.8" to me this lens always makes bold statements. Liked the blue hill shots, inspired me to post these Tampere 60's and 70's architecture:

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 @ f/8, 1/640s, 5DmkII

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 @ f/5.6, 1/640s, 5DmkII - larger

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 @ f/5.6, 1/640s, 5DmkII - larger

Samuli

michael49
Total Posts: 5748

Thanks for the comments guys.

I love my C/Y glass. I just picked up a ZE 35 f/2 (my first "modern" Zeiss glass) - its simply amazing....

briantho
Total Posts: 1122

wfrank wrote:
Humble CY 28/2.8 at blue hills, 70's architecture at its peak here. Canon 5D2.

Nice pictures, the mode makes me depressed. On a good day, that area is depressing enough. Add the grey sky, the naked trees and brown grass after the long winter, and it truly looks like a nightmare. I'd kill myself if those blue boxes were where I had to head home to after work.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3731

Something different. S5 + C/Y 50/1.4 (at f2.8 I think).

Greggf

Gregg, I would expect the 50/1.7 to be very sharp stopped down @ infinity
wfrank...it's actually the 1.4 mmj version! I think it's more the adapter than anything. I have three(just picked up 2 more), and I think I will adctually stick with my original.

Gregg, nice usage of Planar "crazy bokeh", thou I don't understand how you managed to make it happen on last photo since distance to dog/focus plane is not even close minimum focus distance
Samuli...now that you mention it, I did notice that it(bokeh) looks very similar to the ZE/ZF bokeh circles. Could it be the sharpening?
Gregg

Greggf

Here is the actual raw file straight from LR4.4...and the second shot is a revised white balance version of the same afterwards..
I think I like the WB change a little better, and the bokeh doesn't look as harsh...I think!!
Gregg

Greggf

Few more with C/Y 50 1.4 mmj...
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

philip_pj
Total Posts: 4166

Seedy Goa, CY 21mm and 100mm f3.5

1       2       3              163      
       165              249       250       end