Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/162

1       2       3              162      
       164              223       224       end

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

I recently bought a CY Sonnar 135/2.8 (AEJ, "ninja star" aperture @ f4) on the B&S board. This lens tends to be one of the less well reputed items in the CY line, especially being overshadowed by the 100/2 (and 100/3.5, 85/2.8 sonnars). But it was cheap, so I picked it up for a try, and got my first break in the rain to take it out this afternoon. For the price, I think it's actually a rather nice lens.

Build quality is great; it's a moderately heavy, dense, and slightly front-heavy. The lens has a "Leica-style" pull-out hood, and Zeiss was kind enough to keep 55mm filter threads by using a steeply angled front name plate (handy for consistency with most shorter CY lenses). Sharpness is uniform and decent at all apertures (not a super-resolving heavyweight, but little more could be gained on my 5D); slight lateral CA is only sometimes visible (generally well controlled). There will be magenta/green fringing in front / behind the focal plane; the plane of focus is not as "clean" and sharply delineated as with, e.g., the Planar 100/2. Vignetting is unobjectionable, and mostly gone by f4. I'll let some photos do the rest of the talking:

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4626

Nice shots with the Sonnar!

Here's a couple of Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis with the CY85

Dergiman
Total Posts: 813

Going through some old family slides, i guess these were taken by my granny with a Contaflex III with a 50/2.8 Tessar lens:

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3068

Wow..

R.Young
Total Posts: 942

An 82 image stitch with the 100 F2 C/Y (cropped quite a bit so maybe 50 or so images)

Victoria Park by Rob.Young, on Flickr

R.Young

Cool Contaflex shots!

joakim
Total Posts: 1464

Dergiman, great to see those photos. From a vacation in Sweden perhaps, the first one is from Stockholm at least.

Toothwalker
Total Posts: 1298

First captures of 2013. More snow and ice.

rji2goleez

Toothwalker - Love that last one with just a hint of color. Nicely done.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3068

R.Young wrote:
An 82 image stitch with the 100 F2 C/Y (cropped quite a bit so maybe 50 or so images)

Victoria Park by Rob.Young, on Flickr

Nice raven.

R.Young

Toothwalker, simply stunning. Love them all

carstenw
Total Posts: 15347

Great ice and snow photos, Robert and Toothwalker!

R.Young

Thank you Carsten, but I think Toothwalker has blown me out of the water there

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

Nice, Tannvandrer. Where is it?

rji2goleez

I'm really enjoying the CY85/1.4 that I purchased from Grenache. All wide open.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15347

R.Young wrote:
Thank you Carsten, but I think Toothwalker has blown me out of the water there

Not at all, your shot is as great, I think.

Paul, did you partially desaturate those images, or was that just what it looked like?

Toothwalker
Total Posts: 1298

rji2goleez wrote:
Toothwalker - Love that last one with just a hint of color. Nicely done.

R.Young wrote:
Toothwalker, simply stunning. Love them all

mortyb wrote:
Nice, Tannvandrer. Where is it?

carstenw wrote:
Paul, did you partially desaturate those images, or was that just what it looked like?

Thanks guys. The location is Horten. It was after midnight with city lights dominating the scene. The slightly snowy sky was a bit greenish in my memory. Anyhow, I could not get a consistent color balance across images and decided to go for B&W. As an experiment I also tried to desaturate all colors except orange/red, and these are the images I posted. They show what the scene might have looked like with an ideal white light source.

R.Young

they look amazing Toothwalker, something I must try in the future

JSPHOTOS
Total Posts: 750

Terrific photos everyone.

@mpmendenhall - Wonderful! I'm not sure what flower that is in photo #3 but I captured one just before I sold the D800. It's in my flickr stream. Beautiful flower.

@Derigiman - Love the film / slides. I'm playing around with film presets in LR and definitely hooked. Need to break out the Minolta.

@Bob - Fantastic photos as always. My wife would definitely not be smiling in that cold weather.

@Toothwalker - Stunning! I really like the last one too.

@RYoung - Great! I really need to learn how to stitch photos. I've never tried it.

I'm extremely happy with my new Zeiss 100mm ZF.2. I really tried to purchase the Zeiss 15mm but the stars wouldn't align (wallet was empty too).

My wife and I went to Tupelo Honey Cafe this afternoon. I didn't order this but absolutely will next time.

100mm

Beef ... It's What's for Dinner by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

akul
Total Posts: 1611

mpmendenhall - Thank you for sharing your finding on the135 Sonnar. I really like the #4 the building shot. Great sky and white building naturally draws my attention.

Bpb- Gorgeous waterfall ( frozen ) shots ! Also love the framing of 'keep off ice not safe' sign with people on ice behind.

Dergiman - Those are quite lovely. #1 is very nice.

R. Young - Impressive stitch work !! Beautiful shallow focus scenery. Love the snow covered twigs sticking out from frozen water. They are beautiful.

Toothwalker - Beautuiful series. Stunning shots. #4 is super.

JSPHOTOS- Very juicy !

tree portrait

1       2       3              162      
       164              223       224       end