Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/160

1       2       3              160      
       162              249       250       end

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1892

Haven't shot many photos with Sonnar T* 3.5/100 C/Y, considering how much I like the rendering. I guess it's because having Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZE almost always with me. However checked Aperture Library for some Sonnar photos.

Lens has really great bokeh, even wide open. Also all other aspects are very good already wide open, however I tend often prefer f/4 which helps with vignetting (and specially issues vignetting causes to bokeh) and causes small improvement to contrast. Worst in lens is magenta/green color errors in bokeh.

For limited time there will be also 2048px version available of photos below:
http://www.vahonen.com/2013/temp/Sonnar_100_2048px/

f/3.5

f/4

f/4

f/4

f/8

f/3.5

f/8

f/4

f/4

f/4

f/4

f/3.5

f/8

f/5.6

f/5.6

f/5.6

Samuli

carstenw
Total Posts: 16163

The f/4 and f/3.5 shots of trees are exactly the kind of stuff I love from you, and this lens does do it really well. Interesting lens.

wfrank
Total Posts: 3217

Agree, I may be a sucker for old cars including Volvo 142's but that 3.5 rendering is very attractive and 3D:ish in that first image. But I would doubt using it having a CY 100/2.

Toothwalker
Total Posts: 1494

Zeiss goes square:

rico
Total Posts: 5033

Toothwalker wrote:

Very clever, Walrus. I'm not at all a fan of tilted pics, but this one had my scratching my head for at least two minutes. It works so well with the extra headroom to accentuate the "vertical" corrugation, and the complete lack of other cues - not even a plumb-line. Love the square, too.

Rodluvan
Total Posts: 713

Toothwalker wrote:
Zeiss goes square:

That one's neat, would have loved to come across the location. I do believe it would have an even stronger visual impact if you ran it through, say, PS distortion correction. There's both perceptive distortion and some barrel distortion that is easily correctable.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 4167

Some 21mm Distagon bokeh:

Toothwalker

rico wrote:
Very clever, Walrus. I'm not at all a fan of tilted pics, but this one had my scratching my head for at least two minutes. It works so well with the extra headroom to accentuate the "vertical" corrugation, and the complete lack of other cues - not even a plumb-line. Love the square, too.

Thanks rico. I am always happy to confuse you and suppose two minutes of viewing time is long for images posted in this forum.

Rodluvan wrote:
That one's neat, would have loved to come across the location. I do believe it would have an even stronger visual impact if you ran it through, say, PS distortion correction. There's both perceptive distortion and some barrel distortion that is easily correctable.

You are right. I am annoyed with myself for not getting it right on location and for being too lazy to apply the corrections before presenting the image to an audience.

I have just replaced the image by an improved version.

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1765

was that a hill?

rico
Total Posts: 5033

crazeazn wrote:
was that a hill?

No. I finally realized there's a swimming pool in the foreground (cleverly cropped out).

Toothwalker

rico wrote:
crazeazn wrote:
was that a hill?

No. I finally realized there's a swimming pool in the foreground (cleverly cropped out).

Actually that is just a bicycle stand, identical to the one further away.

I found this overview picture on the web.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3731

Not much activity here lately..

Bit different way than I shoot flowers usually, this time ended better than regular shot (due my inability to focus decently and underexposure). Contax 50/1.4 MM isnt exactly great near MFD, but still pretty decent. What isnt decent are Fuji S5 Pro colors. No matter what color profile I try, its always bit off (usually due red cast). That and exposure meter doesnt play nice with this lens (or is S5 set to "heavy underexpose" on default). At least it doesnt have much problems with noise..

Well, enough b*tching, time to get another camera.

briantho
Total Posts: 1122

Posting in this thread for a change...

Some orchid shots with Contax 645 Apo-Makro-Planar.

Orchid by briantho, on Flickr

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3731

Wow.. thats some look from this lens, it looks like MF even on APS-C.

wfrank
Total Posts: 3217

Mescalamba wrote:
Wow.. thats some look from this lens, it looks like MF even on APS-C.

Try shoot flowers with anything beyond 85mm or so.

Foto Dude
Total Posts: 51

i have a zeiss 21mm f/2.8, and i use it for landscape photography.

is it generally a bad idea to put a circular polarizer filter on a 21mm?

at about which focal length does it become a bad idea to put a circular polarizer filter on?

jamgolf
Total Posts: 264

zf.2 21mm:

philip_pj
Total Posts: 4167

Foto dude, you really have to experiment, a close look in the VF and instant review are your best friends (almost typed 'fiends', might be a better description).

Anyway, for variable blue skies the Pol will accentuate the effect, it can be artistic, sometimes very off-putting. More often the best use is to quell reflections and glare, if you have the 2 stops to spare. 35mm looks pretty normal as a starting point, but it is all case specific sadly. No golden rules..

Foto Dude
Total Posts: 51

ur right philip, i do just need to get out there and experiment.

carstenw
Total Posts: 16163

Four uninteresting shots, which do show the rendering of the ZF Planars. In order: 85P@2.0, 50P@2.0, 50P@1.4, 50P@2.8, all on Nikon D800:

1       2       3              160      
       162              249       250       end