Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion
/forum/topic/1009161/150

1       2       3              150      
       152              214       215       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2840

Wilhelm, it is always a great plesaure to see your pictures and that portrait is first rate as usual!
Luka : thanks and nice b/w shot from you!

St Nicolas fair, Nancy, with 85 P :

carstenw
Total Posts: 14915

D800, ZF.2 35/1.4@f/4:

R.Young
Total Posts: 874

Contax Zeiss 100 f2

Track by Rob.Young, on Flickr

carstenw

That must be a stitch, or?

R.Young

haha, nope, single shot

carstenw

Strange, that just doesn't look like a 100mm perspective to me

R.Young

perhaps its the fairly close focus?

carstenw

I was thinking more of the angle of view I will have to try replicating this with my 100MP. Clearly I have lost the plot.

R.Young

Yeah i meant the close focus playing with the perceived angle of view, maybe focusing at infinity would make the shot appear narrower?

akul
Total Posts: 1611

Lieutenant = thanks. Another nice shot.

Carsten - nice composition. Not so great interior, but I like the photo showcasing 35 1.4. How do you like it?

R. Young - Nice perspective

50 1.4

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 3972

carstenw wrote:
Strange, that just doesn't look like a 100mm perspective to me

+1
Looks like C/Y 35/1.4 to me.

joakim
Total Posts: 1333

Wilhelm, nice portrait.
Lieutenant Z, that guy looks a little creepy.
Carsten, composition and exposure are well handled, the decorartion not so
Luka, very nice. I like the light and the b&w conversion.

R.Young

Awesome Luka!

wfrank
Total Posts: 2739

Thanks carsten, Z & Joakim!

Luka, very nice and alternative brooklyn bridge view!

carstenw

Luka! Awesome shot! Feels incredibly 30s!

carstenw

akul wrote:
Carsten - nice composition. Not so great interior, but I like the photo showcasing 35 1.4. How do you like it?

I love it! It is a chunky lens for sure, but it is easier to focus than my Leica, as I was hoping it would be. Leica lenses have incredibly beautiful (if somewhat abstract) rendering, but they can be sons of female dogs to focus. Both the 35 Lux-R and 50 Lux-R E60 are like that, and probably many others. The Zeiss is a cinch, even with the D800. I still miss focus sometimes, but I now often get it right on the first try. I will keep the Leica for now, as it is a very different lens than the Zeiss, much more moody and with a striking way to render, but in the end I might sell it, simply because that is a lot of money to have sitting on the shelf if I don't use it much.

The Zeiss has really nice rendering, very real and give you a sense of presence, quite different than the Leica. When I get a bit more free time and light, I will try to get some 3D going with it

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2499

carstenw wrote:
akul wrote:

I love it! It is a chunky lens for sure, but it is easier to focus than my Leica, as I was hoping it would be. Leica lenses have incredibly beautiful (if somewhat abstract) rendering, but they can be sons of female dogs to focus. Both the 35 Lux-R and 50 Lux-R E60 are like that, and probably many others. The Zeiss is a cinch, even with the D800. I still miss focus sometimes, but I now often get it right on the first try. I will keep the Leica for now, as it is a very different lens than the Zeiss, much more moody and with a striking way to render, but in the end I might sell it, simply because that is a lot of money to have sitting on the shelf if I don't use it much.

The Zeiss has really nice rendering, very real and give you a sense of presence, quite different than the Leica. When I get a bit more free time and light, I will try to get some 3D going with it

I am surprised to hear you feel ZF is easier focus than Leica. I feel 35 Zeiss is one of most difficult focus manual lens I have 'FOR PORTRAIT' at portrait distance. It has nice bokeh but at the same time DOF transition seems very quick. so it is very untolerent focus error.

Especially, you also mention 50lux E60. I have 50R lux E48, and past several days I am cleaning up my past shots (do family calender, ordered by wife ) and notice out of all 50 1.4ish lens, this Leica is the only one I can say almost no haze. The first time I open this 50lux R file, I have to check if my lens is fully open at 1.4 or not, I feel it almost like a shot from f2 lens. DOF seems deeper and in focus area is well defined. I'd assume E60 will be even nicer.

Luka, the bridge shot is great. you get the distance and perspective right to create a much dramatic shot than 50 focal length suggested.

carstenw

Don't understand me wrong, the 50 Lux E60 is a wonderful lens, related to the 50 Lux-M ASPH lens, and I would love to own one, but it sure is hard to focus. Beautiful rendering, maybe the best 50/1.4 SLR lens that exists, but hard to focus.

wfrank
Total Posts: 2739

Zhangye, if your profile is correct you are using a D700. Have you tried to equip it with a precision matte such as the Canon EG-S. With such at portrait distance the Zeiss 35/1.4 is easy to focus, easier than on something 5m+ away.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2499

carstenw wrote:
Don't understand me wrong, the 50 Lux E60 is a wonderful lens, related to the 50 Lux-M ASPH lens, and I would love to own one, but it sure is hard to focus. Beautiful rendering, maybe the best 50/1.4 SLR lens that exists, but hard to focus.

I hope I didn't misunderstand you, but your comments seems suggest both 35lux and 50lux E60 is harder manual focus than other 1.4sh lens.

My feel is usually lens with better WO performance suggest better SA correction usually easier to focus manually. Do you feel Leica 50lux E60 is harder to focus compare to other 50 1.4sh lens? (which is the interesting thing I want to hear more) or just general comment about: it is difficult to manual focus 50mm at 1.4, that could be my mis-understanding.

1       2       3              150      
       152              214       215       end