Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8
/forum/topic/1005854/1

1      
2
       end

Lotusm50
Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Total Posts: 6228
Country: United States

RustyBug wrote:
and maybe I should consider the 25 as an infinity specialist (funky bokeh & CF @ close range).



OK. I'm going to disagree. At close range is exactly where I use the ZF25 the most. I have never considered the bokeh to be "funky" or nervous at that range. And unless you are photographing a flat field or doing copy work, the CF isn't necessarily a problem -- just that different things will be in focus across the frame compared to traditional "macro" lens that strives for a more flat field and you can use that to your advantage. I think it produces lovely images close-up -- particularly close-up landscape. Experiment with it and find how you can make it work for you.

Subjectively, I prefer the slightly wider 25mm (25.9mm) view to the 28mm. And it holds dual purpose in my bag, it can be the "infinity specialist" as you say, but then get down and close for some unique and lovely perspectives.



RustyBug
Registered: Feb 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12992
Country: United States

I do like using my wides @ mfd ... which is what would reduce my interest in a lens that is an infinity specialist ... I figure the C/Y 28/2.8 already covers the infinity application well ... and the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS (crc) handles the close / straight stuff.

It would be nice if I could find 'one lens' to cover both, but I'm also realistic about optics limitations ... decisions, hmmmm. Probably time to call lensrentals and grab a 25 for the weekend. Likely to be the only way to really know.

Thanks. everyone.



Silverfox1
Registered: Jan 18, 2011
Total Posts: 101
Country: United States

Kent, it took me awhile to find a later Oly 24/f2.8 MC but did recently acquire a fine EX rated copy with a serial number Ser.#218999 in pristine condition and it works fine on the 5D MKII. But i also just picked-up the 21 ZE so the nice Oly 24/f2.8 multi-coated will be going up for sell shortly.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002832/0

You folks helped me acquire some really nice MF lenses and the urge to stop testing and trying new ones out has not been easy for me at least.

Zeiss 21/f2.8 ZE
Oly Zuiko 24/f2.8 MM MC Ser.#218999
MIR24 35/f2
CY 35-70/f3.4
CY 50/f1.7
CY 85/f2.8 Sonnar

Regards,



wayne seltzer
Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Total Posts: 4138
Country: United States

RustyBug wrote:
I do like using my wides @ mfd ... which is what would reduce my interest in a lens that is an infinity specialist ... I figure the C/Y 28/2.8 already covers the infinity application well ... and the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS (crc) handles the close / straight stuff.

It would be nice if I could find 'one lens' to cover both, but I'm also realistic about optics limitations ... decisions, hmmmm. Probably time to call lensrentals and grab a 25 for the weekend. Likely to be the only way to really know.

Thanks. everyone.


Sounds like a good idea trying it out and seeing if you like it or not.
You could also wait till the end of the year for the new ZE 25/2 which is supposed to be much better than the old ZF 25/2.8 according to subtle comments from those in the know.



RustyBug
Registered: Feb 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12992
Country: United States

Hmmm, 25/2 ... sounds big & not budget friendly ... but could be a workhorse investment piece of glass.

18/3.5
25/2
35-70/3.4

That could work nicely.



edwardkaraa
Registered: Sep 27, 2004
Total Posts: 7479
Country: Thailand

If it's going to be inspired by the 24/2 as some believe, it's not going to be that big and heavy. In fact it is quite compact for a lens of the FL and aperture.



RustyBug
Registered: Feb 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12992
Country: United States

Small & fast ... sounds like vignetting, reduced micro-contrast or distortion (mustache I'm guessing) could be the penalty ... likely moderate combination of all three.

I notice you didn't say anything about a smaller price point.



martyn.
Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Total Posts: 324
Country: United Kingdom

wayne seltzer wrote:

You could also wait till the end of the year for the new ZE 25/2 which is supposed to be much better than the old ZF 25/2.8 according to subtle comments from those in the know.


How accurate is this info, it is just that twelve months ago I was reading the same thing, that a new 25mm would be out at the end of the year, and that has gone and passed.



JohnJ
Registered: Jul 09, 2005
Total Posts: 1995
Country: Australia

I'd buy a Zeiss 25/2 as long as performance was suitable.

JJ



wayne seltzer
Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Total Posts: 4138
Country: United States

martyn. wrote:
wayne seltzer wrote:

You could also wait till the end of the year for the new ZE 25/2 which is supposed to be much better than the old ZF 25/2.8 according to subtle comments from those in the know.


How accurate is this info, it is just that twelve months ago I was reading the same thing, that a new 25mm would be out at the end of the year, and that has gone and passed.



Vincent mentioned it in this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/906899/3#9492402



martyn.
Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Total Posts: 324
Country: United Kingdom

wayne seltzer wrote:
martyn. wrote:
wayne seltzer wrote:

You could also wait till the end of the year for the new ZE 25/2 which is supposed to be much better than the old ZF 25/2.8 according to subtle comments from those in the know.


How accurate is this info, it is just that twelve months ago I was reading the same thing, that a new 25mm would be out at the end of the year, and that has gone and passed.



Vincent mentioned it in this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/906899/3#9492402


Thanks Wayne, I had read that, however he says "It might be presented officially by the end of the year.".

I might sit on my hands a little longer on a 25mm purchase, either that or I take one for the team and order the 25/2.8 ... within hours of the delivery Zeiss will announce the 25/2



1      
2
       end