Which first Zeiss ?
/forum/topic/1000383/3

1       2       3      
       end

jffielde
Total Posts: 205

"1) I'm not a fan of the FC of the 35 f/1.4 because I plan to use 35 for landscapes."

Not that you can't disagree with Lloyd (or give lots of weight to the FC issue), but he found the 1.4 to be better in most all of the stopped-down tests, and the f/2 superior in none of them. Only in the mosaic from f/2 to f/2.8 was the Zeiss f/2 superior.

Picture This!
Total Posts: 1906

here's another one I shot at a local park today. Cross processed for that retro look. Carl zeiss 2/35 shot wide open.

Damn, now I want the other Zeiss lenses - 21 and the 100mm. I am contemplating selling my Nikon AF lenses to fund these.

AhamB
Total Posts: 4938

Nice framing and use of DOF, good light and background. I'd sure like to see what you can do with the other Zeisses.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4074

AhamB wrote:
Nice framing and use of DOF, good light and background. I'd sure like to see what you can do with the other Zeisses.

I think you mean nice cropping.

wayne seltzer

@Carsten,
Thanks for the FC in the corner example shot with crops. That is the first shot I have seen posted with crops like that which shows it. Sorry, I try to follow your posts in the Zeiss thread but it is hard to follow with the high volume of that thread, easy to miss posts. I still would say it is a combination of FC and softness in the corner. I relooked at my f2 experiment shots where I slowly brought the focus pt. from infinity to MFD.
I still would say the 50MP is not anywhere as bad as a typical lens which we would classify as having FC like ZE 25,28, and the new 35/1.4. The curvature of field in those lenses extends much further across the frame than the 50MP which just has it in the extreme corners. IMO, that it doesn't affect to many shots unless you are looking for it.
And you need to get a 50P which gives more chances for 3-d with its faster falloff and less contrasty bokeh compared to 50MP, especially with medium distance shots like above and the shots I saw you post recently in the Zeiss thread.

Here is my experiment shot with 50MP at f2 with crops.
Yes, I know they are slightly off line to the left but you can still see the behavior.
Full shot, bottom left corner crop, bottom right corner crop, and center bottom crop.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15072

Interesting test. I think maybe you don't see it as strongly as I did because you might be further away from your subject than I was. It seems to really peak at a certain distance, and towards either MFD or infinity, it isn't as bad.

I am really beginning to get along with my 50MP now, after knowing its weaknesses and strengths, and actively trying to compose for its strengths. Still, I will probably add the 50P as well, just because it is so different.

From what I have seen, I fully agree that this lens is not as dramatic as the 25 or 28. It is just that from what I read before I bought the lens, I was not expecting what I got, and so I desperately needed to get to the bottom of it. This did make me sound very negative about the lens, which really wasn't intended. Great lens, but I do wish that Zeiss had designed it 5-10% larger to fix those corners.

wayne seltzer

Yes, I agree, I wish the corners didn't have this behavior too.
Boris's great Lofoten shots with the 50MP show that it is a great large DOF landscape lens and nobody I bet noticed his soft corners on those epic shots.
I think you are right about the distance to subject having an effect and I am always wanting to learn about zeiss lenses and enjoy discussing with the knowledgeable people here in the forum.Sorry, if I come across as argumentative.

I need to redo this experiment and tilt the camera so the bottom corners are always where the edge of the focal plane and this behavior can happen. I also need to redo my 50MP and 50P falloff comparison shots from a further distance to subject and with more objects in the DOF so that you can see the falloff in the theoretical DOF better.
Samuli's forest with the evenly space trees is perfect for such a thing.

Picture This!
Total Posts: 1906

wayne seltzer wrote:
AhamB wrote:

I think you mean nice cropping.

Yes I did crop on the right to avoid as I didnt want the second statue and some trees in the bg. I would've loved to not crop but with the pov I wanted, i had to.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15072

wayne seltzer wrote:
Yes, I agree, I wish the corners didn't have this behavior too.
Boris's great Lofoten shots with the 50MP show that it is a great large DOF landscape lens and nobody I bet noticed his soft corners on those epic shots.

Actually, what first alerted me to odd corner behaviour was not softness, but sharpness, and the unexpected corner sharpness in places like forests still bothers me more than the soft corners in the plane of focus. I could blur the corners a bit with PS, or add vignetting, I suppose.

1       2       3      
       end