Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #8533496 « Photo Use Infringment ... ?? copywrite copyright »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Photo Use Infringment ... ??

A couple months ago someone requested to use a photo of mine from my Flickr account in a non-profit publication. They made the request via Flickr email, which I didn\'t notice until yesterday.

I went to review the source for the request, only to find out they had already used the image.

http://www.ourplanet.com/tunza/8.1/en/Tunza8.1_22-3Seven%20species.pdf

As you can see from the photo credit, it clearly came from my flickr account (Rusty Bug), but I had never given permission ... and my account is \"All Rights Reserved\".

As it is, this would be my first \'tear sheet\' from a publication, so I have mixed feelings about it. However, having a tear sheet with a photo credit of my Flickr account username is of little value professionally speaking.

It\'s not that great of a photo, but it is one that very few people ever get to shoot. I travelled very far (on different business), drove & hiked long and waited very long to get that shot with the limited gear I had with me (2008). It literally was a 20 hour effort that day & night ... an experience, I\'ll never forget. Btw, it\'s not so easy searching a beach in PITCH BLACK (no moon) till 2 AM to find a nesting leatherback turtle.

It would cost me thousands to replicate that shot due to the travel costs alone.

So ... what now ??

Jun 03, 2010 at 11:08 AM
RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Photo Use Infringment ... ??

A couple months ago someone requested to use a photo of mine from my Flickr account in a non-profit publication. They made the request via Flickr email, which I didn\'t notice until yesterday.

I went to review the source for the request, only to find out they had already used the image.

http://www.ourplanet.com/tunza/8.1/en/Tunza8.1_22-3Seven%20species.pdf

As you can see from the photo credit, it clearly came from my flickr account, but I had never given permission ... and my account is \"All Rights Reserved\".

As it is, this would be my first \'tear sheet\' from a publication, so I have mixed feelings about it. However, having a tear sheet with a photo credit of my Flickr account username is of little value professionally speaking.

It\'s not that great of a photo, but it is one that very few people ever get to shoot. I travelled very far (on different business), drove & hiked long and waited very long to get that shot with the limited gear I had with me (2008). It literally was a 20 hour effort that day & night ... an experience, I\'ll never forget. Btw, it\'s not so easy searching a beach in PITCH BLACK (no moon) till 2 AM to find a nesting leatherback turtle.

It would cost me thousands to replicate that shot due to the travel costs alone.

So ... what now ??

Jun 03, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #8533496 « Photo Use Infringment ... ?? copywrite copyright »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.