Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of ghonis's message #11425399 « Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount »

ghonis
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Instead of a modified T4i, would a canon 60Da work better or same?

One reason for avoiding the 60Da model is that it does not pass the h-alpha wavelength (656nm) at nearly 100% as a true modified camera does for astro imaging. Canon did that years ago as well with the 20Da model and many had their 20Da cameras modified for astro imaging so they would capture more h-alpha. The h-alpha wavelength is important for astrophtography because that is the wavelength of light emittted by nebulae and responsible for the intense reds in emission nebulae such as the Orion Nebula, Rosette and Horsehead region

Jerry Lodriguss has a good comparison of a 60Da and astro modified T2i camera here:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/60Da_60D_550Da.HTM

Some believe Canon scaled back the h-alpha response in the 60Da and 20Da so that the camera would be able to better correct the color balance in-camera for normal daytime imaging as a compromise. With a true modified astro camera, reds appear brighter than they should be, even when using a Custom White Balance. One way to get good color correction for normal daytime photos with an astro modified camera is to use a color correcting filter, either a lens thread-on type or a "clip" type filter that can be easily placed and removed from a camera body.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:52 AM

Previous versions of ghonis's message #11425399 « Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount »