Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of lxdesign's message #11415240 « The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc. »

lxdesign
Upload & Sell: On
Re: The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

binary visions wrote:
Just thought I'd kick it off since I imagine that many of us will be getting this camera in the next few days/weeks and might like a place to dump off first impressions or a couple shots or what-have-you.

I placed a pre-order with Amazon with an expected ship date of 03/14, but contacted them today and they said my expected arrival date is April 25th. D'oh.

Called a local shop that I hadn't dealt with before and found out they had one left unclaimed. 15 minutes later it was in my hands.

First impressions: this is a definite downgrade from the D300 body that I love so much. Smaller hand positioning, rubber coatings not as "rubbery," mildly obnoxious locking/unlocking mechanisms on the configuration dials on the left. I was hoping to be over-rating the importance of this to me, but it does not appear to be that way - it was instantly evident from the first moment and has not been better in the first hour of handling. It's tolerable for sure - I don't hate it, it's just a very clear difference. It's lighter, which will be nice for travel, but I will have to evaluate, if a D400 is released, whether the ergonomics are worth the upgrade.

The OLED display overlay in the viewfinder is a clear upgrade. No doubt about it - everything is brighter, crisper, easier to read.

I like the new AF switch - it's much harder to knock out of place. I know it's old hat to owners of newer cameras, but I do think it's a better way to handle the AF modes.

Anyone else snagged theirs yet?

So what you're saying is that its more like the D7000 than the D300?

Mar 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM

Previous versions of lxdesign's message #11415240 « The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc. »