Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11375985 « 5x7 Vintage Glass Plate »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: 5x7 Vintage Glass Plate

That would be my gut guess at the timeline, but I\'ve little knowledge of the fashions of the times to go by.

It seems to me that they aren\'t squinting because they all have their heads tilted such that there own forehead/brow serves to block the intense sun that would otherwise cause such squinting (middle man excepted).

Taking a close look at the shadow cast from her hand and around her eyes in the crop, I\'d say it is more like a 12:15 position than 2:00. It is very nearly direct overhead. While the tree shadow on the bank looks like it might be cast from the \"wrong side\" at 10:00, look at the telephone pole behind it and you can see that its key side is the right side, with shadow left. Looking at the other trunks behind it and the house through the trees, we see also see key on the right. The shadow on the bank is cast from the overhead branches onto the sloping bank, which will effect the perception of the shadow length / direction somewhat. Also, note the swan and its blown/reflection/lack of shadow (i.e. not 10:00).

As to where did the group shadows go, they are underneath and behind them. Look at the women\'s blouse shadow in the crop and look between/under/behind the legs of the man on the right. See also, the shadows on the drape of the pants @ man left as well as the shadow cast onto the backmost leg.

I have little doubt that this was taken commercially. The knowledge of how to handle this \"worst possible\" (or so we\'ve been told) lighting in the multiple ways that the people are positioned, imo, wasn\'t just good luck ... this guy knew exactly what he was doing ... and made it look as though this group was merely frolicking at the lake, when stopped for a \"snapshot\". Ambient shooters should take note of how it was done \"old school\".

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:26 AM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11375985 « 5x7 Vintage Glass Plate »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.