Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of alundeb's message #11370884 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »

alundeb
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

tulaev wrote:
Nikon lenses on 16 MP D4 body yield better results than any Canon lenses on 21 MP body.

Not for resolution when you select the same lens, like the Z* Distagon 1.4/35.

Edit:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/%28lens1%29/391/%28brand%29/Zeiss/%28camera1%29/767/%28lens2%29/390/%28brand2%29/Zeiss/%28camera2%29/0

And there is something really strange going on there. In that example, the sub-scores are identical except +/- 0.1 on transmission and vignetting, that should actually balance. Only Resolution is significantly higher on the Canon, yet the total score is 2 points higher with the Nikon. I would call the scores total junk after seeing this.

By the way, the aberrations and distortions can be corrected by software, but you can't do anything with the resolution of lens.

The measured resolution is at a certain MTF. I haven't checked what they use here, but often resolution is given at 50% MTF. The thing is, that all lenses resolve detail far beyond this, just with a lower MT. So you can really bring up the "resolution" simply by sharpening the image. But there is no substitute for megapixels.

And those corrections resample the image, resulting in a slight loss of resolution.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Previous versions of alundeb's message #11370884 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »