Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of stevezzzz's message #11366191 « Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel »

stevezzzz
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Ok Guys and Gals,

What opinions do you have re: pano techniques. Do you need special heads, special pano equipment? I don't have a ball head, probably should invest in a good Gitzo version. I have several assignments coming up where a very hi res pano might be a great addition.

I've got a variety of pano heads from a gizmo that cost $125 bucks (and won't really support a pro body and lens very sturdily) up to a Gigapan robotic pano-creation device. But you probably only need to make single row panos with the camera in portrait mode: is that right? If so, Really Right Stuff makes a nice, single-axis pano head for a reasonable price. Call me tomorrow and we can talk about it.

The great advantage of using a pano head, once you've got it set up properly for a given camera and lens combination, is that you can make panoramas that have no problems stitching even when there is a lot of depth in the scene, front-to-back. I don't care what Scott Kelby says, you can't hand-hold a pano of a scene with lots of depth (or a macro pano) and expect decent results without tearing your hair out in post: the parallax kills you.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:49 AM

Previous versions of stevezzzz's message #11366191 « Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel »