Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11354825 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well, to mark the passing of Monty into easy focus and composition, I will take us all the way back to the start of Nikon SLRs and Nikkor lenses. This is the 5cm 1:2 S, not the H or HC, the very first 50mm for Nikon SLR camera back to 1960 or so, there is a fantastic review of it at the link below with a link to a test where you can see it is as sharp as the 50mm 1.8 AFS wide open in the center, the center peaks at 5.6, and the frame gets evenly sharp at 8.0. I bought it for two reasons, just because I can ($70), and to get a special look in my photos, will be using it wide open.

The scale is in feet only, makes it a US model with a valid warranty.
Check this link if interested:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/28/nikkor-s-5cm-12-lens-review.aspx/

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is small, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the fully open lens is set at f/11 not f/2. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.
IF YOU TRY THIS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS ALL LENSES AND CAMERAS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS ONE JUST HAPPENS TO WORK FINE ON MINE. My 20mm 3.5 UD non-ai works in the same manner by the way, but my non-ai 24mm 2.8, 20cm, 50mm 1.4 S, and 5.8cm will not mount.

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Taken with D200 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5cm f 2 S D3 Taken with D200 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Taken with D200 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And here is the look I was looking for, could probably get similar results with another 50mm, but this one gets me in the mood.
All shots at F/2.0.

Fist Roberta my old english, whose pictures I never post because she will not stay still. (AF anyone?)

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Roberta old english sheepdog by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A ceremonial barn, we don't have real ones any more, it is properly labeled for locals to learn what it is.

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Barn Windmill by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The ceremonial wagon works, wainwright, and blacksmith next door,

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Winwright Ironworks by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the Grape Day Park lazy afternoon mood, enhanced by the 5cm and Nik

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 grape day park afternoon by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:53 PM
rafaelcasd

Well, to mark the passing of Monty into easy focus and composition, I will take us all the way back to the start of Nikon SLRs and Nikkor lenses. This is the 5cm 1:2 S, not the H or HC, the very first 50mm for Nikon SLR camera back to 1960 or so, there is a fantastic review of it at the link below with a link to a test where you can see it is as sharp as the 50mm 1.8 AFS wide open in the center, the center peaks at 5.6, and the frame gets evenly sharp at 8.0. I bought it for two reasons, just because I can ($70), and to get a special look in my photos, will be using it wide open.

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is small, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the fully open lens is set at f/11 not f/2. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.
IF YOU TRY THIS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS ALL LENSES AND CAMERAS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS ONE JUST HAPPENS TO WORK FINE ON MINE. My 20mm 3.5 UD non-ai works in the same manner by the way, but my non-ai 24mm 2.8, 20cm, 50mm 1.4 S, and 5.8cm will not mount.

And here is the look I was looking for, could probably get similar results with another 50mm, but this one gets me in the mood.
All shots at F/2.0.

Fist Roberta my old english, whose pictures I never post because she will not stay still.

A ceremonial barn, we don't have real ones any more, it is properly labeled for locals to learn what it is.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:52 PM
rafaelcasd

IF OU TRY THIS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS ALL LENSES AND CAMERAS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS ONE JUST HAPPENS TO WORK FINE ON MINE. My 20mm 3.5 UD non-ai works in the same manner by the way, but my non-ai 24mm 2.8 non-ai, 20cm, 50mm 1.4 S, and 5.8cm will not mount.

All shots at F/2.0.

Fist Roberta my old english, whose pictures I never post because she will not stay still.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:50 PM
rafaelcasd

IF OU TRY THIS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS ALL LENSES AND CAMERAS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS ONE JUST HAPPENS TO WORK FINE ON MINE. My 20mm 3.5 UD non-ai works in the same manner by the way.

All shots at F/2.0.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:42 PM
rafaelcasd

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is small, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the lens is set at f/11. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.
IF OU TRY THIS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS ALL LENSES AND CAMERAS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS ONE JUST HAPPENS TO WORK FINE ON MINE. My 20mm 3.5 UD non-ai works in the same manner by the way.

All shots at F/2.0.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:41 PM
rafaelcasd

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is small, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the lens is set at f/11. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.

All shots at F/2.0.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:37 PM
rafaelcasd

All shots at F/2.0.

The cerremonial wagon works, wainwright, and blacksmith next door,

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:35 PM
rafaelcasd

Well, to mark the passing of Monty into easy focus and composition, I will take us all the way back to the start of Nikon SLRs and Nikkor lenses. This is the 5cm 1:2 S, not the H or HC, the very first 50mm for Nikon SLR camera back to 1960 or so, there is a fantastic review of it at the link below with a link to a test where you can see it is as sharp as the 50mm 1.8 AFS wide open in the center, the center peaks at 5.6, and make the frame evenly sharp at 8.0. I bought it for two reasons, just because I can ($70), and to get a special look in my photos, will be using it wide open.

All shots at F/2.0.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:33 PM
rafaelcasd

Well, to mark the passing of Monty into easy focus and composition, I will take us all the way back to the start of Nikon SLRs and Nikkor lenses. This is the 5cm 1:2 S, not the H or HC, the very first 50mm for Nikon SLR camera back to 1960 or so, there is a fantastic review of it at the link below with a link to a test where you can see it is as sharp as the 50mm 1.8 AFS wide open in the center, the center peaks at 5.6, and make the frame evenly sharp at 8.0. I bought it for two reasons, just because I can ($70), and to get a special look in my photos, will be using it wide open.

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is smal, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the lens is set at f/11. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.

All shots at F/2.0.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:33 PM
rafaelcasd

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is smal, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the lens is set at f/11. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.

All shots at F/2.0.

A ceremonial barn, we don't have real ones any more

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:28 PM

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11354825 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »