Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of michaelwatkins's message #11350014 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

michaelwatkins
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, this thread really piles on the posts quickly!

saph wrote:
Michael, one lens to stay away from based on the ghost avoidance requirement would be the 20 3.5UD. My very first look through that lens I saw lots of happy dancing ghosts. Otherwise its a fine lens and of course ghosts work for some people and some scenes.

I don't mind them some of the time but when they show up most of the time ... well, you know.

leighton w wrote:
Judging by your wants/needs I would have to suggest the 20mm f2.8 AI-s as this seems to be the best at distance. The f4 version is well regarded as well. This may help you too. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

Thank you Leighton. There is a trend in that recommendation I see, which is what I expected too.

jhinkey wrote:
Best sharpness is the 20/2.8 AIS or AF-D, but it does ghost although flare is very very good
Best for flare/ghosting is the 20/3.5 AIS, but as others have noted it's not the sharpest for distant subjects (but very sharp up close).

My best 20/2.8 is actually my 17-35/2.8 AFS set at 20mm - it's better in all regards than the 20/2.8AIS or D regarding sharpness, flare, and ghosting, but it's heavy, large, and much more expensive (like $1K) and it's not a MF Nikkor . . .

Re the 17-25, the large and heavy aspect is more of an issue than cost. How is the 17-35 when used at 35? That's a focal length I use on FX more than any other; I could see myself drifting between 28 and 35 most of the time. Maybe something to consider down the road.

In the meantime I'm going to keep an eye out for a 20/2.8 AIS. I've seen one show up locally from time to time. Thanks folks...

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:23 AM

Previous versions of michaelwatkins's message #11350014 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »