Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of TeamSpeed's message #11341179 « Appeal of super high ISOs...fallacy? »

TeamSpeed
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Appeal of super high ISOs...fallacy?

dorian wrote:
Lars Johnsson wrote:
^^ @ Dorian,

To be fair here, neither of your two shots are in crappy light. Or low light. I would even say that at least one of those was shot in very good light. And it\'s ISO 320 & 400 also. Just look at the exif beneth your pics:

Canon EOS 7D 700 mm f/9.0 1/100 sec 400 ISO
Canon EOS 7D 400 mm f/5.6 1/2000 sec 320 ISO

that\'s what i\'m saying lars, that if your have to push to some ridiculously high iso it might be worth spending the time doing something else! for me there is a very high opportunity cost to being out taking pictures - i am scientist and i need as much time in my lab as possible to generate data. this is why i wait until there is good light before i head out. i can only be out ~10 hrs / week so i need to make sure i hit good light when i get out there! yes, having high iso capabilities never hurts, but i would rather put less money into that technology if i had the option and instead put it into more reach from my lenses.

i realize much of my thinking is dictated by my 70+ hour work week though!

That is certainly your opinion, but many of us don\'t wait for better lit situations to shoot what we like. You are missing many other opportunities to shoot. Not only is time of day an issue, but if you go hiking and shoot wildlife off the trails, you will NEVER have good enough lighting to shoot at lower ISOs, unless you go out in the winter when there are no leaves.

I am fortunately to live off a pond, and the wildlife is abundant only in the morning and then again in the evening. This duck and her brood would only venture out near the evening from the nest, and I would go out to the back yard to shoot at high ISO.

This is a 9pm at night at high ISO. From many accounts here, there just wasn\'t enough light to justify shooting (assuming you don\'t like high ISO), but I refuse to live by that train of thought. I have instead learned how to set up the camera for high ISO shooting, and invested my time and money in software tools during the digital dark room part of my photography.

Sometimes you just have to get out of your comfort zone

Great photo? Nope, but a very nice snag before she ran off with her ducklings that I otherwise would never have been able to capture.

I actually sold this print as a 16x20 recently from the same shoot.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:10 PM
TeamSpeed

dorian wrote:
Lars Johnsson wrote:
^^ @ Dorian,

To be fair here, neither of your two shots are in crappy light. Or low light. I would even say that at least one of those was shot in very good light. And it\'s ISO 320 & 400 also. Just look at the exif beneth your pics:

that\'s what i\'m saying lars, that if your have to push to some ridiculously high iso it might be worth spending the time doing something else! for me there is a very high opportunity cost to being out taking pictures - i am scientist and i need as much time in my lab as possible to generate data. this is why i wait until there is good light before i head out. i can only be out ~10 hrs / week so i need to make sure i hit good light when i get out there! yes, having high iso capabilities never hurts, but i would rather put less money into that technology if i had the option and instead put it into more reach from my lenses.

That is certainly your opinion, but many of us don\'t wait for better lit situations to shoot what we like. You are missing many other opportunities to shoot. Not only is time of day an issue, but if you go hiking and shoot wildlife off the trails, you will NEVER have good enough lighting to shoot at lower ISOs, unless you go out in the winter when there are no leaves.

I am fortunately to live off a pond, and the wildlife is abundant only in the morning and then again in the evening. This duck and her brood would only adventure out near the evening from the nest, and I would go out to the back yard to shoot at high ISO.

This is a 9pm at night at high ISO. From many accounts here, there just wasn\'t enough light to justify shooting (assuming you don\'t like high ISO), but I refuse to live by that train of thought. I have instead learned how to set up the camera for high ISO shooting, and invested my time and money in software tools during the digital dark room part of my photography.

Great photo? Nope, but a very nice snag before she ran off with her ducklings that I otherwise would never have been able to capture.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
TeamSpeed

dorian wrote:
Lars Johnsson wrote:
^^ @ Dorian,

I am fortunately to live off a pond, and the wildlife is abundant only in the morning and then again in the evening. This duck and her brood would only adventure out near the evening from the nest, and I would go out to the back yard to shoot at high ISO.

Great photo? Nope, but a very nice snag before she ran off with her duckling that I otherwise would never have been able to capture.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:06 PM

Previous versions of TeamSpeed's message #11341179 « Appeal of super high ISOs...fallacy? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.