Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11339916 « An HDR question - Is bracketing really necessary? »

cgardner
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: An HDR question - Is bracketing really necessary?

Bifurcator wrote:

BTW cgardner,
A slightly more general automated approach to your example method there is just to use the three sliders in ACR: Fill Light, Blacks, and Recovery. Most of the time their default thresholds come out being the same as the blending masks I would have to create by hand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do actually that and more in ACR globally on the RAW for every image before doing selective local adjustments with masks in PS. I prefer the separate masks so I can tweek by eye with sliders between 0-100% to find what looks best after opening the masks.

In most outdoor situation where scene>sensor and highlights are exposed for detail mid-tones get rendered a zone or so darker than they actually are and I pull them back up with brightness in ACR.

These are from a flash test where I also used ACR, Levels middle slider, and Levels + masks to illustrate various options to \"normalize\" foreground.
Camera

With dual flash in foreground

Camera w. Levels middle slider

Less extreme Levels + adj layer selective edits

ACR - did this last mostly to show there\'s less noise pulling up in ACR vs PS levels

I use flash whenever possible in situations like that to get normal full range in foreground. Less attention gets paid to under exposed shadows in the background.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:46 PM

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11339916 « An HDR question - Is bracketing really necessary? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.