Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of morganb4's message #11323314 « Building a PC »

morganb4
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Building a PC

Agree with Snead mostly except triple channel isnt really current anymore. New generations of i chips use either dual or quad channel.

A good case is important for airflow if your going to overclock. Get one with good cable management like the Corsair 600T

Some boards OC better than others, some boards seem to sacrifice overclockability with ease of overclocking.

I dont recommend going over 16GB because you start to pay a penalty in ram timings with higher density chips. Get 4x4GB, its a relatively small cost.

Couldnt be happier with my 3930K, its on a X79-UD3 board which drives it at 4.5GHz. I can not clock it past that and I suspect I am hitting the ceiling of the board and not the chip. My display is a DellU2711 driven by an nvidia GTX680 OC 4GB.

Spend up on a quality PSU - a cheapo no-name brand that blows will often take out other components. Estimate your power requirement and then exceed it significantly. Mine is a 750 Thermaltake Trupower to cover an estimated max pull of about 450-500 Watts.

Bifurcator has a good suggestion too.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:29 PM
morganb4

Agree with Snead mostly except triple channel isnt really current anymore. New generations of i chips use either dual or quad channel.

A good case is important for airflow if your going to overclock. Get one with good cable management like the Corsair 600T

Some boards OC better than others, some boards seem to sacrifice overclockability with ease of overclocking.

I dont recommend going over 16GB because you start to pay a penalty in ram timings with higher density chips. Get 4x4GB, its a relatively small cost.

Couldnt be happier with my 3930K, its on a X79-UD3 board which drives it at 4.5GHz. I can not clock it past that and I suspect I am hitting the ceiling of the board and not the chip. My display is a DellU2711 driven by an nvidia GTX680 OC 4GB.

Spend up on a quality PSU - a cheapo no-name brand that blows will often take out other components. Estimate your power requirements and then exceed it significantly. Mine is a 750 Thermaltake Trupower to cover an estimated max pull of about 450-500 Watts.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:27 PM
morganb4

Couldnt be happier with my 3930K, its on a X79-UD3 board which drives it at 4.5GHz. I can not clock it past that and I suspect I am hitting the ceiling of the board and not the chip.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:22 PM

Previous versions of morganb4's message #11323314 « Building a PC »