Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of asabet's message #11311145 « Anyone Compared the Zeiss 35/f2 to Sigma 35/f1.4? »

asabet
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Anyone Compared the Zeiss 35/f2 to Sigma 35/f1.4?

Dergiman wrote:
carstenw wrote:
I imagine that Canon will redesign the 35L at some point, given that various lenses are beginning to appear which outperform it in some way or other (or all, in the case of the Sigma).

Outperforming in all cases is a bold statement. I am sure that the Sigma 35/1.4 has some flaws as well. I am wondering how good contrast, microcontrast, color, colorseparation, LoCA, and field curvature are. I am not impressed by the Zone B performance of the Sigma 35 on the TDP site at f2-f4. And the AF poll in the Canon forum is not the best.

Based on my experiences, I'd say the following:

Contrast: No such thing as "better" in this category

Microcontrast: Sigma is higher

Color: Neither one better than the other

Color separation: Pretty much a BS category IMO.

LoCA: Sigma has less

Field curvature: Canon may be better here. It's the only reason I can think of for the weak edge performance shown at TDP, other than technical error by TDP. Every other site shows better edge performance for the Sigma.

AF: Can only speak to my copies of the lenses. My Sigma occasionally misfocuses with far distant targets. Didn't seem to happen often with the Canon, but I don't know whether that was the camera (5D vs D600) or lens.

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:10 PM

Previous versions of asabet's message #11311145 « Anyone Compared the Zeiss 35/f2 to Sigma 35/f1.4? »