Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Keith B.'s message #11307544 « Which is a better wide for my D800e »

Keith B.
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Which is a better wide for my D800e

I have the Nikon D3 and D800E cameras, and from your list the AF-S 35/1.4G, the ZF 28, and the ZF 35/2 lenses.
All are very good; the Nikon 35G is AF, and has the least lateral CA, and a very 'clean' image similar to the old Ai 35/1.4, but with better performance at the wider stops. Also, the 35G seems very sharp in the close up range. But, it has no aperture ring, no hard stop at infinity and the focus scale---as with most AF lenses--- is pretty useless. Interestingly, I have found that with the D800E in extremely low light, the 35G is easier to accurately focus by eye than with AF. The manual focusing action, however, is very nice for an AF lens.
Both Zeiss lenses are excellent also but with a little more funk--or charm, some might say---, but both a bit more lateral CA visible than the 35G. The ZF 28 is famous for it's curvature of field. Both Zeiss lenses, of course, have hard infinity stops, aperture rings, and somewhat more useable focus scales. I've gotten great shots with all three.
Can't advise on which focal length to get...they're all equally useful.
Oh, and if you can afford it, the ZF2 25/2 is outstanding on all levels as well...maybe, technically(CA, MTF, etc) the best of the wide Zeiss primes for the D800.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:14 AM
Keith B.
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Which is a better wide for my D800e

I have the Nikon D3 and D800E cameras, and from your list the AF-S 35/1.4G, the ZF 28, and the ZF 35/2 lenses.
All are very good; the Nikon 35G is AF, and has the least lateral CA, and a very 'clean' image similar to the old Ai 35/1.4, but with better performance at the wider stops. Also, the 35G seems very sharp in the close up range. But, it has no aperture ring, no hard stop at infinity and the focus scale---as with most AF lenses--- is pretty useless. Interestingly, I have found that with the D800E in extremely low light, the 35G is easier to accurately focus by eye than with AF. The manual focusing action, however, is very nice for an AF lens.
Both Zeiss lenses are excellent also, but with a bit more lateral CA. The ZF 28 is famous for it's curvature of field. Both Zeiss lenses, of course, have hard infinity stops, aperture rings, and somewhat more useable focus scales. I've gotten great shots with all three.
Can't advise on which focal length to get...they're all equally useful.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:03 AM

Previous versions of Keith B.'s message #11307544 « Which is a better wide for my D800e »