Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of asiostygius's message #11304619 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

asiostygius
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jim S, I have the 600mm f/5.6 AIS and can attest to you to be a fine lens for wildlife. Not too heavy as the 600/4, but anyway it needs a tripod for better results like all long lenses above 400mm.

Two samples:

Burrowing Owl with the 600mm f/5.6 AI-S EDIF by labecoaves, on Flickr

Taken around 8-10m of distance. D300 + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF N supported on a beanbag at my SUV window. ISO 200, f/8 at 1/160s
The image was ~ 33% cropped. I think this is not bad for an "old, outdated and garbage" MF lens.
Note that even at f/8 just the head is in good focus, the tail and even the feet are OOF.

Thraupis palmarum with Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 AIS EDIF by labecoaves, on Flickr

Palm Tanager
Nikkor AI-S 600mm f/5.6 ED-IF at minimum focus distance (5m), tripod + flash
D3 1/250 f/11 ISO 500

This lens can present a little more CA than the 800mm f/5.6 AIS, specially wide open at very harsh and contrasty light conditions, but PP can fix most if not all CA.

see here:

_D2X3463dpreview by labecoaves, on Flickr

600mm F/5.6 AIS MF ED-IF. The Sayaca Tanager was at ~17m. Insets show original image (it was a 2x crop mode of D2X) and CA in the bill and eye

One way to fix that:

600mm ais CA removal in NX2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF CA removal in NX2:
The example is a 200% crop of a D2x crop mod (2x) shot.
In NX2 the default is at left: auto lateral CA correction only.
In the right, when I enabled the axial CA correction - default level was 50, the result is no red fringes and a removal of the green cast.

Finally, if you have time, you can take a look at this flickr group with tons of sample shots with MF long lenses:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkorprime/#

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:33 AM

Previous versions of asiostygius's message #11304619 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »