Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jcolwell's message #11289988 « which extender/convertor with Canon EF200 2.8 II »

jcolwell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: which extender/convertor with Canon EF200 2.8 II

Well shut my mouth! You're right Alan.

I just checked the EF Museum and the 1.4x II does have different optics than the Mk I. In the "block diagrams", you can see the Mk II has a curved front element, while the Mk I looks flat. Also, the Mk II description is a dead giveaway:

" ...The revamped optical systems employed in the new extenders realize even higher image quality than the previous Canon Extender EF1.4X and Extender EF2X models.."

So, back to the original recommendation; if you decide to get a 1.4x to start, then Alan's (Monito) recommendation of a EF 1.4x Extender Mk II is probably the best start. If you ever want to add a second 1.4x TC, then you'll have to pick up a "generic", as you can't stack Canon 1.4x Extenders.

IMO, the Kenko DG/DGX is the best "generic". This view is shared with many other posters in past FM threads. IQ with the Kenko DG 1.4x is virtually idential to the Canon 1.4x Mk I. I'm pretty sure that I posted some comparisons here, a few years ago. I now have Mk III versions of both Canon Extenders, and still use the Kenko DG. AFAIK, the DG and contemporary DGX are the same, except for new coatings on the 'X'. The DG is noticeably better than the Tamron SP AF 1.4x (7-element) TC.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:29 PM
jcolwell

I just checked the EF Museum and the 1.4x II does have different optics than the Mk I. In the "block diagrams", you can see the Mk II has a curved front element, while the Mk I looks flat. Also, the Mk II description is a dead giveaway:

" ...The revamped optical systems employed in the new extenders realize even higher image quality than the previous Canon Extender EF1.4X and Extender EF2X models.."

So, back to the original recommendation; if you decide to get a 1.4x to start, then Alan's (Monito) recommendation of a EF 1.4x Extender Mk II is probably the best start. If you ever want to add a second 1.4x TC, then you'll have to pick up a "generic", as you can't stack Canon 1.4x Extenders.

IMO, the Kenko DG/DGX is the best "generic". This view is shared with many other posters in past FM threads. IQ with the Kenko DG 1.4x is virtually idential to the Canon 1.4x Mk I. I'm pretty sure that I posted some comparisons here, a few years ago. I now have Mk III versions of both Canon Extenders, and still use the Kenko DG. AFAIK, the DG and contemporary DGX are the same, except for new coatings on the 'X'. The DG is noticeably better than the Tamron SP AF 1.4x (7-element) TC.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:26 PM
jcolwell

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:25 PM
jcolwell

IQ with the Kenko DG 1.4x is virtually idential to the Canon 1.4x Mk I. I'm pretty sure that I posted some comparisons here, a few years ago. I now have Mk III versions of both Canon Extenders, and still use the Kenko DG. AFAIK, the DG and contemporary DGX are the same, except for new coatings on the 'X'. The DG is noticeably better than the Tamron SP AF 1.4x (7-element) TC.

So, back to the original recommendation; if you decide to get a 1.4x to start, then Alan's (Monito) recommendation of a EF 1.4x Extender Mk II is probably the best start. If you ever want to add a second 1.4x TC, then you'll have to pick up a "generic", as you can't stack Canon 1.4x Extenders. IMO, the DG/DGX is teh best "generic".

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:20 PM
jcolwell

The Canon 1.4x Mk I and Mk II Extenders have identical optics. The 1.4x Mk II has weather sealing and probably improved coatings. The 1.4x Mk III has different optics that the Mk I and Mk II. The Mk III is better. The 2x MK I, II, and III all have different optics, each generation getting progressively better.

IQ with the KenkoDG 1.4x is virtually idential to the Canon 1.4x Mk I and II. I owned the Mk I and DG both for many years, and compared them head to head in a variety of situations. I'm pretty sure than the results were posted here. I now have Mk III versions of both Canon Extenders, and still use the Kenko DG. AFAIK, the DG and contemporary DGX are the same, except for new coatings on the 'X'.

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:38 PM

Previous versions of jcolwell's message #11289988 « which extender/convertor with Canon EF200 2.8 II »