Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of ChiShutter's message #11268845 « First beauty shoot: Ning | Los Angeles, CA »

ChiShutter
Upload & Sell: Off
First beauty shoot: Ning | Los Angeles, CA

Bfindlay wrote:
Wat gear, focal length,aperture, speed, special lighting did you use?

Well, that's a surprisingly detailed question!

Nikon D700, mostly shot with an 85mm 1.4G although I captured a handful with a 28-70 2.8 also. I was at f/8 throughout, which is a nice easy way to make sure everything's in focus.

I was mildly horrified to find out after the fact, when examining EXIF data, that I shot the vast majority of the set at 1/50 or even 1/40 -- but as you can see, with strobes it really doesn't matter. I was at ISO 200 in a darkened room; there is no ghosting from ambient in any of the shots. In any case, because I was shooting tethered and frequently checking focus on the eyes and lips at 100% zoom, I'd have noticed and adjusted if the slow shutter was causing problems.

As for lighting: A very simple setup. AB800 in a 28" BD (with diffusion sock) overhead and pointed down and slightly angled toward the model, about a foot in front of her, and maybe 18 inches above her. Silver reflector directly below the BD and in front of/below the model. Another AB800 aimed at the white seamless background. That's it!

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
ChiShutter
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: First beauty shoot: Ning | Los Angeles, CA

Bfindlay wrote:
Wat gear, focal length,aperture, speed, special lighting did you use?

Well, that's a surprisingly detailed question!

Nikon D700, mostly shot with an 85mm 1.4G although I captured a handful with a 28-70 2.8 also. I was at f/8 throughout, which is a nice easy way to make sure everything's in focus.

I was mildly horrified to find out after the fact, when examining EXIF data, that I shot the vast majority of the set at 1/50 or even 1/40 -- but as you can see, with strobes it really doesn't matter. I was at ISO 200 in a darkened room; there is no ghosting from ambient in any of the shots. In any case, because I was shooting tethered and frequently checking focus on the eyes and lips at 100% zoom, I'd have noticed and adjusted if the slow shutter was causing problems.

As for lighting: A very simple setup. AB800 in a 28" BD (with diffusion sock) overhead and pointed down and slightly angled toward the model, about a foot in front of her. Silver reflector directly below the BD and in front of/below the model. Another AB800 aimed at the white seamless background. That's it!

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:16 PM

Previous versions of ChiShutter's message #11268845 « First beauty shoot: Ning | Los Angeles, CA »