Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11265266 « Design Image / Slogan ... »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Design Image / Slogan ...

I don't feel anything remotely oriented toward a "police state" agenda or attitude, per se.

Fear is typically predicated on either knowledge of a real threat, or ignorance/uncertainty as to whether or not a threat actually exists, or the degree to which it can do harm.

Many people are afraid of snakes. Yet, there exists many snakes that are actually helpful in rodent control, etc., and certainly the vast majority of snakes are no threat to people. There are however some that are very dangerous.

When you have the ability to identify the difference between a coral snake (venomous) and a scarlet king snake (non-venomous), you have the ability to assess the level of fear that is appropriately warranted. However, if you are not able to tell the difference between the two, many people will naturally be suspiciously fearful anytime they come across either (unless they have never been exposed to the possibility of a threat/harm.) And of course, there are those individuals who even when extended certainty of it being a scarlet king snake, they will still remain fearful due to a generalized fear of snakes.

Given the similarity in appearance of an (venomous) RYKY pattern to an (non-venomous) RKYK pattern, it takes a bit more knowledge or exposure to the differences for one to readily recognize which one warrants fear vs. which one is harmless. Without that knowledge or exposure to recognize the difference, the fear born out of ignorance/uncertainty can be a healthy one. One can call for someone knowledgeable in snakes, one can attempt to kill it themselves without knowing it's true identity, or one can just leave it alone and walk away.

When I am out working or scouting, I tend to have a serious, studious "casing" look about me. Because I will get on the ground for perspective or climb around dirty environments, I tend to wear "shabby clothes" that I'm not concerned about ruining. I'm middle aged, male and drive an older truck (industrial environments). My profile can be rather similar at times to others not striving for such artistic endeavors. For those who can't distinguish the two, I get where their mind goes ... I can see it in their eyes as they look at me. Kinda like Barbara knowing that she was "being watched" by the officer patrolling the storefront area.

In this regard, I don't find the "police state" agenda to be part of the equation/issue. Nor, do I find it to be an "irrational fear". I find it to be that people have been shown the picture of a coral snake, and whenever they see a scarlet king snake they immediately assume that it is coral snake. Society has been proliferated with issues & stories about people who are "up to no good" in their unusual mannerism ... yet they may remain unable to identify/distinguish the difference between that and the value of another who is doing good despite exhibiting unusual mannerism.

Those who are aware of how/why someone with a camera might be doing some good when exhibiting peculiar, different or unusual mannerisms are not afraid of such persons. We can recognize the diligence involved & absorption into the effort and see the value in it. The general public has been more conditioned to be fearful and suspicious than they have been toward the recognition of the difference.

From pedophilia to terrorism to identity theft to burglary, etc. ... people have been warned to be suspicious of others exhibiting unusual behavior. Walking down the street in a residential neighborhood carrying long glass is (by definition) unusual behavior. So is standing on a street corner for an extended period of time at night.

Thus, the issue here is how to help others to recognize (via evidence) and discern the difference from a position of suspicion/fear predicated upon ignorance/uncertainty to one of knowledgeable recognition that a harmless possibility exists, thus aiding to curb their suspicion / fear.

The presented offerings @ attire, signage, jacket, logo etc. are all viable (and likely forthcoming) toward rendering greater identity / recognition to assist with distinguishing that which is harmful vs. that which is harmless. Part of my perspective is that the more traditional business card itself is insufficient to afford recognizable discernment from others. Having an image such as I've chosen on the card affords me an opportunity to further discuss the tenets of composition and tonal values, etc. with someone who wouldn't otherwise be able to envision such things from words alone.

The card, the image and the accompanying dialogue regarding the process of subject selection and image making should be enough to bore anyone to sleep ( ) such that they will no longer have the fear of ignorance/uncertainty of malicious intent. They'll simply know this guy is different, thus the knowledge of such renders his different mannerisms as known/certain rather than to be construed as suspicious / threatening predicated upon the unknown / uncertain.

After all, who in the world obsesses over such things as implied leading lines and tonal value rate of transition. Of course, for those who have an irrational generalized suspicion, it may prove to be moot. But for individuals with rational capacity, it could be helpful to afford evidence for discernment between threat vs. non-threat. And, if it actually spawns into something about "art" or "photography" ... well that's just icing on the cake.

Simply put ... people are afraid of that which they don't understand (the world is flat and you'll fall off the edge). Always have been, always will be. The intent here is just to have a little nugget at my disposal (and always with me, i.e. business card format) that I can hopefully help them better understand my seriousness and credence as a ("fine art") photographer than I have been able to do so far with words alone.

Thanks again to all for the valuable input.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:44 PM
RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Design Image / Slogan ...

I don't feel anything remotely oriented toward a "police state" agenda or attitude, per se.

Fear is typically predicated on either knowledge of a real threat, or ignorance/uncertainty as to whether or not a threat actually exists, or the degree to which it can do harm.

Many people are afraid of snakes. Yet, there exists many snakes that are actually helpful in rodent control, etc., and certainly the vast majority of snakes are no threat to people. There are however some that are very dangerous.

When you have the ability to identify the difference between a coral snake (venomous) and a scarlet king snake (non-venomous), you have the ability to assess the level of fear that is appropriately warranted. However, if you are not able to tell the difference between the two, many people will naturally be suspiciously fearful anytime they come across either (unless they have never been exposed to the possibility of a threat/harm.) And of course, there are those individuals who even when extended certainty of it being a scarlet king snake, they will still remain fearful due to a generalized fear of snakes.

Given the similarity in appearance of an (venomous) RYKY pattern to an (non-venomous) RKYK pattern, it takes a bit more knowledge or exposure to the differences for one to readily recognize which one warrants fear vs. which one is harmless. Without that knowledge or exposure to recognize the difference, the fear born out of ignorance/uncertainty can be a healthy one. One can call for someone knowledgeable in snakes, one can attempt to kill it themselves without knowing it's true identity, or one can just leave it alone and walk away.

When I am out working or scouting, I tend to have a serious, studious "casing" look about me. Because I will get on the ground for perspective or climb around dirty environments, I tend to wear "shabby clothes" that I'm not concerned about ruining. I'm middle aged, male and drive an older truck (industrial environments). My profile can be rather similar at times to others not striving for such artistic endeavors. For those who can't distinguish the two, I get where there mind goes ... I can see it in their eyes as they look at me. Kinda like Barbara knowing that she was "being watched" by the officer patrolling the storefront area.

In this regard, I don't find the "police state" agenda to be part of the equation/issue. Nor, do I find it to be an "irrational fear". I find it to be that people have been shown the picture of a coral snake, and whenever they see a scarlet king snake they immediately assume that it is coral snake. Society has been proliferated with issues & stories about people who are "up to no good" in their unusual mannerism ... yet they may remain unable to identify/distinguish the difference between that and the value of another who is doing good despite exhibiting unusual mannerism.

Those who are aware of how/why someone with a camera might be doing some good when exhibiting peculiar, different or unusual mannerisms are not afraid of such persons. We can recognize the diligence involved & absorption into the effort and see the value in it. The general public has been more conditioned to be fearful and suspicious than they have been toward the recognition of the difference.

From pedophilia to terrorism to identity theft to burglary, etc. ... people have been warned to be suspicious of others exhibiting unusual behavior. Walking down the street in a residential neighborhood carrying long glass is (by definition) unusual behavior. So is standing on a street corner for an extended period of time at night.

Thus, the issue here is how to help others to recognize (via evidence) and discern the difference from a position of suspicion/fear predicated upon ignorance/uncertainty to one of knowledgeable recognition that a harmless possibility exists, thus aiding to curb their suspicion / fear.

The presented offerings @ attire, signage, jacket, logo etc. are all viable (and likely forthcoming) toward rendering greater identity / recognition to assist with distinguishing that which is harmful vs. that which is harmless. Part of my perspective is that the more traditional business card itself is insufficient to afford recognizable discernment from others. Having an image such as I've chosen on the card affords me an opportunity to further discuss the tenets of composition and tonal values, etc. with someone who wouldn't otherwise be able to envision such things from words alone.

The card, the image and the accompanying dialogue regarding the process of subject selection and image making should be enough to bore anyone to sleep ( ) such that they will no longer have the fear of ignorance/uncertainty of malicious intent. They'll simply know this guy is different, thus the knowledge of such renders his different mannerisms as known/certain rather than to be construed as suspicious / threatening predicated upon the unknown / uncertain.

After all, who in the world obsesses over such things as implied leading lines and tonal value rate of transition. Of course, for those who have an irrational generalized suspicion, it may prove to be moot. But for individuals with rational capacity, it could be helpful to afford evidence for discernment between threat vs. non-threat. And, if it actually spawns into something about "art" or "photography" ... well that's just icing on the cake.

Simply put ... people are afraid of that which they don't understand (the world is flat and you'll fall off the edge). Always have been, always will be. The intent here is just to have a little nugget at my disposal (and always with me, i.e. business card format) that I can hopefully help them better understand my seriousness and credence as a ("fine art") photographer than I have been able to do so far with words alone.

Thanks again to all for the valuable input.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:21 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11265266 « Design Image / Slogan ... »