Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of hauxon's message #11257572 « Ultimate 50mm lens for alt gear? »

hauxon
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Ultimate 50mm lens for alt gear?

I currently have two 50mm lenses, Leica Summicron-R 50/2 and Olympus OM 50/1.2. Both lenses are beautiful an have their strengths and weaknesses.

My Summicron is the older version (1967) which does not have sliding hood like the newer ones. From what I've read about it Leica changed the optical formula slightly to get more sharpness (on the expense of bokeh). In my experience the lens is plenty sharp at f/2, maybe the newer version is sharper in the corners at f/2?? As other have told above the 50 Summicron is a good all rounder where color and bokeh are excellent and sharpness is good. To me the main fault is it being "only f/2" v.s. the Olympus 50/1.2.

The Olympus 50/1.2 is a beautiful lens. It lacks some in sharpness and contrast at f/1.2 but that can be fixed to some extent in post. Bokeh is very smooth and draws beautifully, highlights disks are round and solid, renders creamy and beautiful images. The most annoying part with this lens is that it has whole stop clicks, so it's f/1.2 and then f/2, f/4, f/5.6 etc. It's means you can't stop down to f/1.4, f1.6, f/1.8 for slightly sharper image but have to go all the way to f/2 and lose more than a stop of light. So for critical shooting it's an f/2 lens (a good one).

I'm considering sell either one and will probably keep the OM 50/1.2 mostly because it has f/1.2 and is at least equally good at f/2.

Hrannar

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:34 PM

Previous versions of hauxon's message #11257572 « Ultimate 50mm lens for alt gear? »