Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11250037 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests! »

skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

alundeb wrote:

As I said some days ago, the main source of the loss in resolution from geometric correction, is the resampling of all pixels that takes place where some correction is applied. The different amount of stretching (~0% - ~5%), that one would think would give a proportional loss of resolution, is smaller than the 10-15 % Roger measured. Try to interpolate an image just 1% bicubic and you will see what I mean.

good point, especially since we are dealing with fractions of pixels here

And I agree with the circular reasoning argument.

although some people are willing to live with certain degrees of distortion left uncorrected, so it's more complex than just universally account for full geometric correction

Because of that, I have learned to appreciate lenses that don't need CA correction more than lenses with the highest resolution numbers. The loss of quality with CA correction is more severe than geometrical corrections.

good point, it's become a bit too much of CA doesn't matter at all these days and this should be kept in mind (you can't go overboard though and have to mind what parts of frame you are comparing)

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11250037 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests! »